Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex for Rent - Raised in the Dail as issue of major concern

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

walshb wrote: »
    Been listening to only bits of this

Are there not more serious issues to be dealing with, than some flirty texts between private people..well, one being flirty, and the other not reciprocating......two adults here...

Why are we always trying to "fix" everything? And is this particular text exchange something that needs fixing?

Its just one TD who always wants free houses ( but not in her area) and has found a way to say ‘give women free houses’ without using those words

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A colleague at work has a friend (male) who spent a few years working on those cruise ships going around the Caribbean full of old retired couples.

Basically there was this old American lady touching 80 on the ship for 3 months on her own.

She offered him $1k cash to sleep with her. He did it 5 times and walked away with $5k over the course of the 3 months. He took it but the thing was she would wet herself in the troughs of passion.

I told my friend for $5k so would I TBH.

Yeah. I see it as sexual exploitation. Sex for accommodation is grand if the person has options. If they font it's sex or homelessness abs that's sexual exploitation.

We appear to be saying the same thing now - but in such a way that it sounds like we think we are disagreeing. So perhaps we are just talking past each other now.

As I said I do not see sex for accommodation in and of itself as being exploitation. You appear to be saying that too.

If however a party in that transaction has their ability to reject the offer compromised in some way - then sure we are crossing _then_ into the realm of exploitation. Again you appear to be saying the same thing too.

But once again I do not think singling sex out for that is useful. I would say the same with pretty much _any_ scenario where that is true.
    Is there such thing as accommodation for cleaning? I wouldn't have thought cleaning has the market value of sex.

I have encountered many people who wished to work as an au pair minding kids and learning a language. The moment the host family had them in their clutches they started piling on work they never agreed to - knowing that it was unlikely the au pair was gonna find another gig or have another option. Having a live in slave to do the chores you do not want to do - has always had market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A colleague at work has a friend (male) who spent a few years working on those cruise ships going around the Caribbean full of old retired couples.

Basically there was this old American lady touching 80 on the ship for 3 months on her own.

She offered him $1k cash to sleep with her. He did it 5 times and walked away with $5k over the course of the 3 months. He took it but the thing was she would wet herself in the troughs of passion.

I told my friend for $5k so would I TBH.

An 80 year old squirter.

Well I'll be damned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Youve elevated a guy making an offer to a full blown rapist, lazy and wrong

Where did I say rape? It's exploitation and harrassment, which is bad enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If it was a mandatory situation where the tenant has to stay with the landlord I could see the issue but It's technically a free market so it doesn't hold true.

The bigger issue is the little housing bubble we have built has put us into a position where idiots think they can get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

padd b1975 wrote: »
    An 80 year old squirter.

Well I'll be damned!

love it, nothing worse than when the sluice gate's are broken and the dams burst it's capacity to hold it all in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

if she was that wealthy he could have made off with 90k after 3 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think the people who claim there's no problem would be disappointed to hear their own child had made the offer of sex for rent. Or if their child was in a position where they needed to trade sex for rent.

I can't Imagine them being so supportive of sex for rent on hearing their son has to leave Sunday dinner early because he has to go give his landlord a blowjob.

I really can't imagine them saying "OK son, God bless. Don't forget to play with his balls and keep eye contact".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I think the people who claim there's no problem would be disappointed to hear their own child had made the offer of sex for rent.

I'd also be disappointed to learn that my child was having one night stands or having sex with people who bought them drinks.
    I can't Imagine them being so supportive of sex for rent on hearing their son has to leave Sunday dinner early because he has to go give his landlord a blowjob.

No. I'd also not be supportive of my son leaving dinner early to give his friend a blowjob. It's not something I would want to know.
    I really can't imagine them saying "OK son, God bless. Don't forget to play with his balls and keep eye contact".

Well don't imagine it. And really, why would you be so interested in your child's sex life. That's creepy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

nthclare wrote: »
    love it, nothing worse than when the sluice gate's are broken and the dams burst it's capacity to hold it all in ;)

They don't call 'em pissflaps for nothing...

Ironicname wrote: »
    I'd also be disappointed to learn that my child was having one night stands or having sex with people who bought them drinks.

No. I'd also not be supportive of my son leaving dinner early to give his friend a blowjob. It's not something I would want to know.

Well don't imagine it. And really, why would you be so interested in your child's sex life. That's creepy

The son wasn't leaving to give his friend a BJ. He was leaving to give his landlord a BJ because he has to give bjs for rent. You said you wouldn't want to know. Why?

Some posters were pretending it's just a commercial transaction, and you're saying it's just their sex life.

It seems that you, and the people who claim it's just a normal financial transaction have a disagreement.

The son wasn't leaving to give his friend a BJ. He was leaving to give his landlord a BJ because he has to give bjs for rent. You said you wouldn't want to know. Why?

Because I wouldn't be interested in knowing about any sexual acts my child is performing once they are of age.

It seems that you, and the people who claim it's just a normal financial transaction have a disagreement.

Apples and oranges. If my daughter was shagging her boss to get a raise I wouldn't want to know. What she chooses to do with her body in return for goods/services/promotions is her business.

Would you approve of your mother giving your dad a BJ because she wanted a new dress? Would you expect her to tell you? Would you give the same advice of keeping eye contact and play with the balls?

Some posters were pretending it's just a commercial transaction, and you're saying it's just their sex life.

If he HAS to give a BJ for rent then that is a problem. If he has chosen to give his landlord a BJ instead of paying rent, then that isn't an issue. My main issue would be my son talking to me about giving blow jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Apples and oranges. If my daughter was shagging her boss to get a raise I wouldn't want to know. What she chooses to do with her body in return for goods/services/promotions is her business.

Would you approve of your mother giving your dad a BJ because she wanted a new dress? Would you expect her to tell you? Would you give the same advice of keeping eye contact and play with the balls?

This changes completely when the person does not really have a choice. When the tenants have no realistic means of obtaining acceptable (not to mention decent) accommodation, especially with children. When in a Mad Men kind of world there is no other way for women to get promoted, offered opportunities etc but to suck it. When the father is financially abusive and the only way for the wife to get any money at all is to perform favours.
    If your daughter or your mother had no choice but to suck dick to even have a job or to have any money would you be so disparaging too?

People have choices and support now in most of the above but the point is that in accommodation they might not.

Can tenants faced with such proposals can simply laugh in such scummy landlord's face and walk away to rent another nice place; or are they facing eviction to live in a mouldy hovel or potentially become homeless for them and their children if they don't play nice. In our dysfunctional market it is the latter I'm afraid so I'm not sure why you're so flippant.

Because I wouldn't be interested in knowing about any sexual acts my child is performing once they are of age.

So is your son giving blow jobs for rent fine by you as long as he doesn't tell you? Is that something you're fine with in principal as long as he doesn't tell you? Would you tell your son that he can earn money in work, but if things ever get tight, he can always consider selling his arse for rent?

If my parents relationship was such that my mother had to perform sex acts for money to buy clothes, I would be very concerned about the dynamic. Wouldn't you?

Talk about apples an oranges though. Did you seriously try to compare a husband and wife to a Tennant and landlord, married couple with strangers? Apples and oranges indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

strandroad wrote: »
    This changes completely when the person does not really have a choice. When the tenants have no realistic means of obtaining acceptable (not to mention decent) accommodation, especially with children. When in a Mad Men kind of world there is no other way for women to get promoted, offered opportunities etc but to suck it. When the father is financially abusive and the only way for the wife to get any money at all is to perform favours.
    If your daughter or your mother had no choice but to suck dick to even have a job or to have any money would you be so disparaging too?

People have choices and support now in most of the above but the point is that in accommodation they might not.

Can tenants faced with such proposals can simply laugh in such scummy landlord's face and walk away to rent another nice place; or are they facing eviction to live in a mouldy hovel or potentially become homeless for them and their children if they don't play nice. In our dysfunctional market it is the latter I'm afraid so I'm not sure why you're so flippant.

Who does a job they don't want to do but cannot afford to give it up?

It's life and it's what we all have to deal with. Women have it easier than men as they can use their bodies to get an out where most men can't. This story highlights an aspect of life of how women have it easier than men for this reason. Yet we have a woman in the Dail complaining in a rather stereotypical fashion that you just can't please women.

strandroad wrote: »
    The question here is whether tenants faced with such proposals can simply laugh in such scummy landlord's face and walk away to rent another nice place; or are they facing eviction to live in a mouldy hovel or potentially become homeless for them and their children if they don't play nice. In our dysfunctional market it is the latter I'm afraid so I'm not sure why you're so flippant.

Hang on.

In this scenario, they can't afford the rent? So they will be evicted anyway.

So if a landlord says "look, you don't have to pay me the rent if I get sexual favours" the woman now has a choice (a potentially horrible choice, but a choice nonetheless).

If this option wasn't given to her, she would be facing eviction to live in a mouldy hovel or potentially become homeless anyway.

The rent needs to be paid.

The only issue would be if the landlord refused to accept pre-agreed payment of cash for rent and insisted that he was given sex instead.

I see a lot of the posters who appear in all the "poor men, the feminists are out to get them. The feminists are turning men into pussies etc". And I'm seeing the same posters who are claiming to be fine with a generation of men selling their arses for rent.

It's genuinely fascinating to see people claim sex for rent is fine and nothing to worry about. Imagine young men growing up reading this and thinking it's normal to give blowjob to their landlord for rent. Genuinely interesting to see people claim that.

So is your son giving blow jobs for rent fine by you as long as he doesn't tell you? Is that something you're fine with in principal as long as he doesn't tell you? Would you tell your son that he can earn money in work, but if things ever get tight, he can always consider selling his arse for rent?

I wouldn't know about it.

I also wouldn't like to think that my daughter/mam/sister took it up the bum or had weird kinks. They might though.

And no, I wouldn't teach my son to become a prostitute. It's not something I would want for him. When he gets to 18 he would have his own choices to make. I would hope my guidance would prevent him from going down such paths but you can only do so much.

If my parents relationship was such that my mother had to perform sex acts for money to buy clothes, I would be very concerned about the dynamic. Wouldn't you?

Not really. Would you want to know anyway?
    Tall about apples an oranges though. Did you seriously try to compare a husband and wife to a Tennant and landlord, married couple with strangers? Apples and oranges indeed.

Nope. You spectacularly missed the point. I don't think that parents and children should discuss what intimate things they are doing with their bodies once they reach a certain age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Hang on.

In this scenario, they can't afford the rent? So they will be evicted anyway.

So if a landlord says "look, you don't have to pay me the rent if I get sexual favours" the woman now has a choice (a potentially horrible choice, but a choice nonetheless).

If this option wasn't given to her, she would be facing eviction to live in a mouldy hovel or potentially become homeless anyway.

The rent needs to be paid.

The only issue would be if the landlord refused to accept pre-agreed payment of cash for rent and insisted that he was given sex instead.

This particular woman was leaving anyway so she could and did tell him to **** off. We are told this is not an outlier, likely such proposals are directed at tenants in situ as well especially that your leverage is stronger then - I'll raise your rent or... I'm going to renovate unless...? How is it acceptable to be propositioned by a perv who also happens to have the keys to your place and the power to evict you for any made up reason? Do you think that this is an acceptable free market activity?

I see a lot of the posters who appear in all the "poor men, the feminists are out to get them. The feminists are turning men into pussies etc". And I'm seeing the same posters who are claiming to be fine with a generation of men selling their arses for rent.

It's genuinely fascinating to see people claim sex for rent is fine and nothing to worry about. Imagine young men growing up reading this and thinking it's normal to give blowjob to their landlord for rent. Genuinely interesting to see people claim that.

You seem fixated with men giving blowjobs/selling their arses.

The "scenario" is that a man offered to put a woman he fancied up in his place rent free if she agreed to go on a date with him and perhaps come to an "arrangement".

She refused. No harm, no foul.

Somehow, this has been skewed and you are now talking about antifeminist men advocating that men should take it up the bum.

The only place that has happened is in your head.

Most posters who see nothing wrong with this are not advocating for prostitution, they are simply saying that a person should be able to make these propositions as long as the other person can accept or refuse.

Once they are consenting adults, there is not an issue in my book.

Plus, it's funny that the people you are calling anti-feminist are the ones who are saying that a woman should have a right to choose what they do with their body. (makes sense now that you tried to push the whole "homosexual" angle)

I wouldn't know about it.

I also wouldn't like to think that my daughter/mam/sister took it up the bum or had weird kinks. They might though.

And no, I wouldn't teach my son to become a prostitute. It's not something I would want for him. When he gets to 18 he would have his own choices to make. I would hope my guidance would prevent him from going down such paths but you can only do so much.

Not really. Would you want to know anyway?

Nope. You spectacularly missed the point. I don't think that parents and children should discuss what intimate things they are doing with their bodies once they reach a certain age.

And you've avoided answering whether you're fine with sex for rent as long as you don't know about it. In the imaginary scenario above where the son has to leave Sunday dinner early because his landlord wants him to come home and give him a blowjob. Your son complains because it's obviously something he doesn't want to do...

Is the only thing that's wrong with that scenario the fact that he told you that he's a sex worker? Would you seriously have no issue with sex for rent becoming a normal part of commerce for young men?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This story highlights an aspect of life of how women have it easier than men for this reason.
    Jesus christ, gold medal in the victimhood olympics for this one.

And you've avoided answering whether you're fine with sex for rent as long as you don't know about it. In the imaginary scenario above where the son has to leave Sunday dinner early because his landlord wants him to come home and give him a blowjob. Your son complains because it's obviously something he doesn't want to do...

I wouldn't like it but it would be his choice.
    Is the only thing that's wrong with that scenario the fact that he told you that he's a sex worker? Would you seriously have no issue with sex for rent becoming a normal part of commerce for young men?

What are you talking about? I'm saying I wouldn't want to know who or who not my son is sucking off.

I'm not advocating for mass employment of rentboys/girls.

I'm saying that propositions will happen and people should be able to choose for themselves whether or not they want to accept it.

You seem fixated with men giving blowjobs/selling their arses.

The "scenario" is that a man offered to put a woman he fancied up in his place rent free if she agreed to go on a date with him and perhaps come to an "arrangement".

She refused. No harm, no foul.

Somehow, this has been skewed and you are now talking about antifeminist men advocating that men should take it up the bum.

The only place that has happened is in your head.

Most posters who see nothing wrong with this are not advocating for prostitution, they are simply saying that a person should be able to make these propositions as long as the other person can accept or refuse.

Once they are consenting adults, there is not an issue in my book.

Plus, it's funny that the people you are calling anti-feminist are the ones who are saying that a woman should have a right to choose what they do with their body. (makes sense now that you tried to push the whole "homosexual" angle)

I haven't said anyone should do anything. I'm asking whether the people who claim this is a fine arrangement, are still fine with their son performing sex acts he doesn't want to perform, for rent.

Genuinely fascinating to see people claim that's a normal transaction and nothing to worry about.

The obvious solution is to sort out the housing market.

I wouldn't like it but it would be his choice.

What are you talking about? I'm saying I wouldn't want to know who or who not my son is sucking off.

I'm not advocating for mass employment of rentboys/girls.

I'm saying that propositions will happen and people should be able to choose for themselves whether or not they want to accept it.

Just to clarify, you're fine with the notion of your children growing up in a situation where sex for rent is normal and nothing to worry about ( as long as they don't complain about it to you)?

I haven't said anyone should do anything. I'm asking whether the people who claim this is a fine arrangement, are still fine with their son performing sex acts he doesn't want to perform, for rent.

Genuinely fascinating to see people claim that's a normal transaction and nothing to worry about.

The obvious solution is to sort out the housing market.

There are plenty of things my children will do that I wouldn't be fine about. There are plenty of things I did in my earlier life that my parents wouldn't have been fine about.

But your ridiculous scenario of giving your son advice on how to fellate his landlord has already gotten one thread closed so perhaps it's best to not bring it up again.

Two consenting adults coming to an arrangement is absolutely fine with me.

I still don't know why you changed the sex of the "victim" in all your scenarios though. It's odd.

Just to clarify, you're fine with the notion of your children growing up in a situation where sex for rent is normal and nothing to worry about ( as long as they don't complain about it to you)?

That was not said. Im saying that propositions will always happen. It will be up to the person whether they accept or not.

I'm not quite sure how you took that as if I imagine that this dubious example given by a less than honest politician is going to open the floodgates to a whole new sex barter system.

Sex for rent will certainly not be normal any time on the near or distant future, but there will always be people who chance their arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

At the end of the day men are polygamous women hypergamous . Men to women are success objects and women are beauty objects to men. It's the very reason it's not uncommon to see a girl in their 20s date a guy in his late 30s or 40s . My point is men always pay and women are only to happy to prostitute themselves but it's not called prostitution because it's covert and not carried out in a direct transactional manner
    Its why single women in their 40s are ****ed . Men not so much but they have to have their **** together

Advertisement