Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave Digging

• 04-12-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Have you ever dug a grave?

I had to bury our dog a while back and for one man and a shovel I can attest that it's hard work.

I can see why they use mini excavators nowadays.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Yea track machine only job, remember to put the blade behind you and track motors also while digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have helped dig 5 or 6 graves for family members and friends. It seems to be all done by machine nowadays but at one time the family and community came together and three or four men would dig the grave. It was exceptionally hard work in some locations. Always followed by a good few drinks in the nearest bar with reminiscing about the deceased

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dug one for a dog. Indeed it is harder than it looks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him,

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Supposed to dig down four feet for animals. Sod that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I normally find it's easier to burn the body

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Around here it is all done by local neighbours
    I have dug several of them, living beside a grave yard when we were kids we used to have to watch out for bits of bones, coffin handles and name plates.
    all collected and buried at the bottom of the grave.

Two years age a grave was dug for dad, my brother and I were not allowed help as it is bad luck to dig a grave for one of your own.

Lucozade and water have replaced the bottle of whiskey due to drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

Dug a grave for a dog and accidentally killed two fish while doing it. That was not a nice morning.

I have helped dig 5 or 6 graves for family members and friends. It seems to be all done by machine nowadays but at one time the family and community came together and three or four men would dig the grave. It was exceptionally hard work in some locations. Always followed by a good few drinks in the nearest bar with reminiscing about the deceased

Still done by hand by neighbours/friends in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

In Dublin if you start digging a grave it's only going to end one way

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

feartuath wrote: »
    Around here it is all done by local neighbours
    I have dug several of them, living beside a grave yard when we were kids we used to have to watch out for bits of bones, coffin handles and name plates.
    all collected and buried at the bottom of the grave.

Two years age a grave was dug for dad, my brother and I were not allowed help as it is bad luck to dig a grave for one of your own.

Lucozade and water have replaced the bottle of whiskey due to drink driving.

Bad luck? Where'd you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Have you ever dug a grave?

I had to bury our dog a while back and for one man and a shovel I can attest that it's hard work.

I can see why they use mini excavators nowadays.

You from Granard by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

In my area the friends and neighbours dig the grave and fill it in during a decade of the rosary at the end of the ceremony, nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s a great honour to be asked to dig a grave. Still carried out by friends and neighbours where I’m from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’d be honored if ya didn’t ask me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

MarkR wrote: »
    Supposed to dig down four feet for animals..

and two feet for a human?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Still done by hand by neighbours/friends in my area.

Would they not use a shovel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭obi604

Would they not use a shovel?

I can’t stop laughing at this. An oldie but a goodie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Get the guy to dig the grave before ya kill him . They are very keen to dig it very deep ! ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, a Deliveroo rider brought me cold food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Archeron wrote: »
    Dug a grave for a dog and accidentally killed two fish while doing it. That was not a nice morning.

Must have been fierce wet ground you were digging when you struck 2 fish.😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

We used to drink a bottle of whiskey while digging the grave. Would be in terrible shape by the end of it, especially trying to get out of the grave and the trauma of finding assorted bones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I had to dig a grave for my poor old auntie who was dying at a fierce rate. But when she didn't die, I had to fill the bloody thing in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Recently I have attended two funerals of elderly country relatives. I think it's a lovely tradition of neighbours digging the grave. In the Ist instance a small digger was used. In the second a digger could not access the site (old grave yard) so it was dug manually by about 10 people. The only reimbursement was a cup of tea. It's extraordinary to see how country neighbours rally round to support & comfort the bereaved family.
    Here in Dublin a person a few doors down could be dead and buried before one would know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I was the official grave-digger for Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, USA for about 2 months in the summer of 1989. There was absolutely no mechanical equipment allowed in the cemetery so the graves had to be dug by shovel. Luckily, MV is a small island so everywhere was mostly sand and it was an easy 2-hour dig for a six-foot deep grave. Got $50 cash for each hole plus (usually) a decent tip from the bereaved family.

Best job I ever had; only problem was people were not dying regularly enough on the island (only dug 6 graves in 2 months!) and I had to do less appealing jobs (painting, carpentry etc.) to make a living. Never had to do it in the winter, mind, which may have been a tougher proposition.

I was also the official vermin controller of the area, which mainly consisted of trapping and drowning raccoons and skunks. Another wonderful job which paid well but not regularly enough. Happy times!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Must have been fierce wet ground you were digging when you struck 2 fish.��

tales from the riverbank,:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Yea track machine only job, remember to put the blade behind you and track motors also while digging.

You can't put both the blade and the track motors behind you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I was also the official vermin controller of the area, which mainly consisted of trapping and drowning raccoons and skunks. Another wonderful job which paid well but not regularly enough. Happy times!

You must have had some seriously cruddy roles in your time if you class ‘drowning raccoons’ as a wonderful job. Sounds horrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Archeron wrote: »

Is that you spongebob?

Advertisement