Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbreed Nicknames

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

When we were kids, we had a small brown dog called Heinz. Our vet at the time filled in his vaccination card and in the box for breed just put a "?". I wonder how much ?'s are being sold for now!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

TG1 wrote: »
    When we were kids, we had a small brown dog called Heinz. Our vet at the time filled in his vaccination card and in the box for breed just put a "?". I wonder how much ?'s are being sold for now!;)

When I was a kid my "crossbreed" was named Mutt. Cos that's exactly what he was!! But back then they were called mongrels. :D Aahh the nostalgia.

We never paid for dogs back then, so and so's dog would have puppies and we would take one. Back then we always had at least 2 dogs in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

The designer name thing is just a bit of amusement. But when they are specifically crossbred for financial gain and for the designer name - without considering the health implications, that's just nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

aujopimur wrote: »
    I laugh when I see prices people are willing to pay for these mongrels and runts.

this attitude angers me, its racism in canine form, there is nothing wrong with mixed breeds full stop... all this labeling is purely for monetary gain.

hate people who look down their noses at a dog because its not a full breed in there eyes... if its a dog its a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

barone wrote: »
    aujopimur wrote: »
    I laugh when I see prices people are willing to pay for these mongrels and runts.

this attitude angers me, its racism in canine form, there is nothing wrong with mixed breeds full stop... all this labeling is purely for monetary gain.

hate people who look down their noses at a dog because its not a full breed in there eyes... if its a dog its a dog.
    I get the impression people are more annoyed at the suggestion they are better than mongrels. And there's nothing wrong with mongrels (I love mine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

We have a St Bernese - St Bernard x'd with a Bernese Mountain dog.
    Unfortunately both breeds suffer from hip displaysia so now we have that too.

In terms of pure breeds verses "mongrels" - I have always favoured the X-breeds, feel that the pure-breds are just introducing too many issues. In trying to achieve a look or a stance something else goes wrong.
    Look at the Bernards - a few years ago everyone sought the diamond eyes - now that is being phased out due to the problems it causes.

Basically though - once my dog is happy - don't care one way or the other :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

But I have yet to see much in the way of anyone posting in this forum that is suggesting otherwise.
    Nobody that I know looks down on one dog over the other because of its parentage.
    The issue, pure and simple, is the selling of dogs for financial gain as the primary, often only, motive. This goes for purebred dogs and xbreed dogs.
    But with X-breeds, it's just that bit more cynical. The deliberate (emphasis on the word deliberate) production of mongrels for sale is for one reason, and one reason only. Profit.
    And anyone breeding for profit is not investing in their broodstock's welfare, because that costs money. Rearing pups properly costs money, so these people cut costs there too, and there is example after example posted in this forum regularly.
    People buying pups from profit-driven breeders are fuelling a seedy and cruel market. If they choose to ignore that behind the cute fluffy face of the pup they've bought to fuel the cruelty, then the cycle never ends.
    I find it utterly disheartening that anyone could justify buying such a pup having before or since found out the seedy motivation behind the production of these pups, purebred or xbred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

DBB wrote: »
    But I have yet to see much in the way of anyone posting in this forum that is suggesting otherwise.
    Nobody that I know looks down on one dog over the other because of its parentage.
    The issue, pure and simple, is the selling of dogs for financial gain as the primary, often only, motive. This goes for purebred dogs and xbreed dogs.
    But with X-breeds, it's just that bit more cynical. The deliberate (emphasis on the word deliberate) production of mongrels for sale is for one reason, and one reason only. Profit.
    And anyone breeding for profit is not investing in their broodstock's welfare, because that costs money. Rearing pups properly costs money, so these people cut costs there too, and there is example after example posted in this forum regularly.
    People buying pups from profit-driven breeders are fuelling a seedy and cruel market. If they choose to ignore that behind the cute fluffy face of the pup they've bought to fuel the cruelty, then the cycle never ends.
    I find it utterly disheartening that anyone could justify buying such a pup having before or since found out the seedy motivation behind the production of these pups, purebred or xbred.

im not disagreeing with you, but everything you just said is also true in 'full breed dog dealers' so to speak ..they are bred for money as you said.. they are also bred with fatal flaws and interbred .. ill not get into it again on boards but the full breed ikc type dogs that are bred are a pretty flawed animal ,simply through stylistic interbreeding..

i just dont like the looking down the noses at mongrels attitude,its repulsive and elitist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

I have a x-breed and the kids came up with a designer breed name for him he is a husky lab cross my eldest calls him a huskador my youngest a labski.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like to call my neighbour's dog a Spanner. Partly because I think he's a spaniel/terrier mix, but mostly because he's a spanner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

im not disagreeing with you, but everything you just said is also true in 'full breed dog dealers' so to speak ..they are bred for money as you said.. they are also bred with fatal flaws and interbred .. ill not get into it again on boards but the full breed ikc type dogs that are bred are a pretty flawed animal ,simply through stylistic interbreeding..

i just dont like the looking down the noses at mongrels attitude,its repulsive and elitist.

I don't ever see people looking down their noses at mongrels on here. But I do very often see people doing that to pedigree dogs - how is that okay?

A reputable, responsible breeder does NOT breed for money, they breed to better their particular breed. In my opinion there are very, very few reputable, responsible breeders in Ireland. Not all full breed IKC dogs are flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Aishae wrote: »
    I get the impression people are more annoyed at the suggestion they are better than mongrels. And there's nothing wrong with mongrels (I love mine).

I think mongrels are great, we've had many over the years, but as I said before its the naming something stupid, and then and selling them for silly money I have an issue with. People think and are often told that as its a cross it'll be healthier than a pure bred dog, not true at all. They could inherit all the problems of both breeds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mymo wrote: »
    I think mongrels are great, we've had many over the years, but as I said before its the naming something stupid, and then and selling them for silly money I have an issue with.

And herein lies the point I'm making... This is not a discussion about flaws and inbreeding etc, that's for another thread. The argument about flaws and purebreds etc shouldn't be used to sidetrack the point here.
    And the problem is the raison d'etre for why people breed designer xbreeds (and poor quality purebreeds). They do it for money. People who buy pups from these people are harming the dogs used to create their pups. They are lining the pockets of chancers.
    For the purposes of this discussion, leaving genetics to one side, my point is that anyone who buys a pup from such a person, and is made aware of the ethics behind it either before or after their purchase, who then tries to justify that its ok to buy such pups as hey! their pup is fine, are fooling themselves. That anyone could justify fuelling this shady side of the industry is denial on their part, and bloody aggravating for those of us who have to hear such misguided justifications over and over again. No wonder we've such a poor reputation with dogs, as a nation.

Advertisement