Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ag Science Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (One thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

CokeyBear wrote: »
    You're supposed to know all 54, but if you cover the 16 in that link you'll more than likely get 2 that you know.

Great thanks very much:D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I know all 54.. Just sayin'...

EDIT: Well, 56 really. There are two not in the Revise-Wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Will you only be asked about experiments in question 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frenchy1992

._. wrote: »
    I know all 54.. Just sayin'...

EDIT: Well, 56 really. There are two not in the Revise-Wise.

What's the point in that ? :confused::eek:

Some of these 56 experiments you've learnt definitely won't come up on thursday !
    I think it's pointless to learn more than 20-25 exp as you can guess the one that are likely to come up.. but that's just my opininon.

Well there's no way to predict what'll come up in that section, and that's a section I absolutely need to get full marks in as I need an A in Ag and won't be learning anything about Pigs and don't know a hugh amount about animal science in general.
    So I sat down and learned them all for the mocks, only took a few hours..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

!!! wrote: »
    Will you only be asked about experiments in question 7?

question 7 is based on genetics and if you have done biology then this question is very easy marks. if you havnt covered it in biology then its still not that hard.
    What's the point in that ? :confused::eek:

Some of these 56 experiments you've learnt definitely won't come up on thursday !
    I think it's pointless to learn more than 20-25 exp as you can guess the one that are likely to come up.. but that's just my opininon.

but learning those experiments will help in parts of other questions too. so i wouldnt regard it as pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

Hope this years paper isn't too bad...last year was awkward :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CokeyBear

Last years paper was fúcking horrible to say the least, I'm looking for the A1 but I'd be lucky to scrape a B with that paper. Problem is the major book most people are using (Green book) is seriously outdated and they went with a modern test. I think they'll go with the green book based test this year for the last time as most classes will probably have changed over to Rainbowtrouts new book for next year.

Last years paper was fúcking horrible to say the least, I'm looking for the A1 but I'd be lucky to scrape a B with that paper. Problem is the major book most people are using (Green book) is seriously outdated and they went with a modern test. I think they'll go with the green book based test this year for the last time as most classes will probably have changed over to Rainbowtrouts new book for next year.

New booooook? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    New booooook? :eek:

Ya, myself and another teacher (westsa on here) have written a new ag science book. We thought it was about time. Details over on the main ag science thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Ya, myself and another teacher (westsa on here) have written a new ag science book. We thought it was about time. Details over on the main ag science thread :D

Fair fecks to ye, I've been workin from my revisewise and Farmers Journal handouts for the past 2 years!

Any last minute hints or tips from a teachers point of view?

Any last minute hints or tips from a teachers point of view?

I would just say that ag science is impossible to predict. I never predict anything for my classes.

So when you get in there take your time and read the paper, it's not as long an exam to answer as other papers (in my opinion). Do not panic if you see something that you are not familiar with or don't quite understand or a question is asked in a way you weren't expecting. You may re-read it later on and in the meantime you may remember something that is relevant.

When I did my own LC, I did Biology. There was a genetics question on it every year and it ALWAYS included a cross. I liked genetic crosses, so in my wisdom neglected a lot of the genetic theory on the course at the time because I think the structure of the question tended to be a few definitions and a cross and it was like that since the dawn of time. Figured I'd have one full question with full or close to full marks just from the cross. Day of the exam came. I opened the paper and went straight to the genetics question thinking 'I'll get this one over with quickly and have one in the bag in a few minutes and then I can get on with the rest of the paper' Read the question. No genetics cross. Read it again just to make sure. Nope, still not there. Ended up not doing the question at all because I hadn't learned the rest of the theory properly. It definitely threw me for the rest of the paper because I now had to find one more question out of the remaining ones as my 'definite' one could no longer be counted. Moral of the story: don't count on anything to definitely be asked and don't get thrown off by anything that isn't asked how you expected it to be.

As has already been said, Q2 is always soil, Q7 is always genetics and Q4 is always experiments so it makes sense to go over those sections well.

Q1 is worth 60 marks and while there are 10 parts to do 6, I would always advise my own class to do all 10 parts if possible. Don't leave blanks. You cannot get marks for a blank space. If you write something, it may be correct. Everything you write will be corrected and you will be awarded your best 6 out of the 10.

For anyone choosing to do those four questions, that only leaves two more from the remaining ones, considering the remaining questions would normally cover livestock, plant and animal physiology, grassland and crops etc , you have a very good choice.

I've usually found in my own classes that some just do not like genetics or soil and tend to leave out one or the other, but I would advise against leaving out both (studywise) as it limits your choice on the paper. Particularly when they are both guaranteed questions. You may choose not to answer either on the day, but you could be left kicking yourself if you don't study either and a question comes up that you could have answered if you had done the revision.

When my own class did the mocks a couple of months back I warned them about leaving out those topics. So they went and they studied them, but a few said afterwards, 'I studied soil but I didn't like the question on the day, so I chose something else' but at least they had the choice to do that.

Make sure you don't answer both options in Question 3 as two of your six questions. If you answer both question 3s, both will be corrected but only one of them can be counted in your total.

You may choose to answer an extra question, nothing wrong with this but make sure you have answered your first six questions to the best of your ability first, rather than rushing through them to get an extra one done.

Ag is the last exam for many students (unless you are in the Italian, Applied Maths, Religion category :D) and you may be tired and fed up of exams by the time you get to Thursday or you may feel that you should give one final push to get over the finishing line. Don't stay up half the night trying to cram those last facts in. Get a good night's rest so you will be fresh in the morning.

Good luck!

Cheers Rainbow, it really just seems to be about using your head at the end of the day. Right now my plan is do Q1, 2, 4, 7 and 9 no matter what's on them, might as well attempt them. After that, I'll do whatever I can out of 3, 5, 6 and 8. I have all of Wednesday off, so my plan is to do the last 5-6 years of Q1, 2, 7 and 9. Should be alright after that, I've done all I can do at this stage.

Grand thing is, the questions always seem to repeat in one way or another, so hopefully it's just not like last year.

Cheers Rainbow, it really just seems to be about using your head at the end of the day. Right now my plan is do Q1, 2, 4, 7 and 9 no matter what's on them, might as well attempt them. After that, I'll do whatever I can out of 3, 5, 6 and 8. I have all of Wednesday off, so my plan is to do the last 5-6 years of Q1, 2, 7 and 9. Should be alright after that, I've done all I can do at this stage.

Grand thing is, the questions always seem to repeat in one way or another, so hopefully it's just not like last year.

Well you sound like you are well prepared, so I'm sure you'll be fine on the day!

Really nervous. I took this on new in september and our teacher made us learn the green book word for word.

So confused....:(

Dunno what to focus on!

Genetic, experiments so far.......not good at soil though!!

At the moment, I'm trying to learn dairy.....it taking ages!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Westsa

Problem is the major book most people are using (Green book) is seriously outdated and they went with a modern test. I think they'll go with the green book based test this year for the last time as most classes will probably have changed over to Rainbowtrouts new book for next year.

The exam is NOT based on a book, the exam is based on a syllabus.

While I entirely agree, I imagine Rainbowtrout has covered everything in it.

I would just say that ag science is impossible to predict. I never predict anything for my classes.

So when you get in there take your time and read the paper, it's not as long an exam to answer as other papers (in my opinion). Do not panic if you see something that you are not familiar with or don't quite understand or a question is asked in a way you weren't expecting. You may re-read it later on and in the meantime you may remember something that is relevant.

Sound advice rainbow trout

Sorry westsa, just realised it was both of you :P

• Advertisement

Sorry westsa, just realised it was both of you :P

No problem. :D

Best of luck in the exam

At the moment, I'm trying to learn dairy.....it taking ages!!!!!!

Keep going with it, as you will cover lots of material that is common with other productions, for example the care of a lamb or beef calf is the same as the care of a dairy calf. Dairy over laps with grassland and diseases of dairy and beef are the same.

Westsa wrote: »
    Keep going with it, as you will cover lots of material that is common with other productions, for example the care of a lamb or beef calf is the same as the care of a dairy calf. Dairy over laps with grassland and diseases of dairy and beef are the same.

Im doing it out of the rapid revision book. Is that ok? Green book is scaring me:(

Im doing it out of the rapid revision book. Is that ok? Green book is scaring me:(

Yes that's fine. But have a look at past exam papers as you study. All the answer to past exam papers can be found under marking schemes in exam material archive. This will help. website is www.examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Hi just wondering how important dental formulas are for the exam.
    There in the rapid revision book but I cant find them mentioned anywhere in the syllabus. Does anyone know if there has ever been a question on them ? :confused:

Hi just wondering how important dental formulas are for the exam.
    There in the rapid revision book but I cant find them mentioned anywhere in the syllabus. Does anyone know if there has ever been a question on them ? :confused:

Dental formulas have appeared on past papers both higher and ordinary level. Have a look back through the last couple of years.

K, slightly dreading Ag Science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Brains?

is it better for the likes of Q9, the 'scientific explanation', to write a paragraph(s) or just simple bullet points? or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Brains? wrote: »
    is it better for the likes of Q9, the 'scientific explanation', to write a paragraph(s) or just simple bullet points? or does it matter?

I would personally recommend bullet points. Just so you don't end up waffling and the examiner doesn't have to search for your main points.

• Advertisement

Wait, so last year's paper was considered a tough paper?

Advertisement