Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy Rash Problems

• 09-06-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi all, wondering if you can help me. Woke up this morning and my almost 3 month old daughter has a bad nappy rash....there are two big red welts on either side of her little bottom and parts. I don't know how this happened, and am wondering if it might be acidic poop from teething. Either way, is there anything I can do for it? I use Weleda Celendula nappy cream which is lovely and soft, but the little girl cries everytime i try and gently rub it in, so i feel like a lot of it just ends up on the nappy. I try and let her have a naked kick to let it air dry as well, but she ends up getting upset and crying and needing a cuddle.

Changing her nappy a few minutes ago almost made me cry. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

if you can get your hands on 'morhulin cream' its brilliant. it cod liver oil based so it really sticks! i found it great when faith was teething it was so bad it bled :eek: it the acid in the urine that changes when teething.. poor baba hope she's ok soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Thanks hon! Oh right, I Was always told it was the poop that got acidic! Go figure.

Yeah, I feel like it's getting worse even though I am changing her frequently. She has little welts that I am afraid will start bleeding, but at the same time I don't want to rub the cream in if it's going to hurt her so much!

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into it :)

kep a close eye on if it gets worse see the doc cos it can get infected;) ask the pharmacist when you're there whats the best one there might be a better one on the market since, its really good though i used it on my stitches after grace 7 years ago...brilliant stuff!!:D

Oh ouch...had no idea nappy rash could get infected! Just as well im heading down to the PHN tomorrow. Will have to get her to have a look at it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

My niece suffered terribly with nappy rash when teething and my sister swore by Caldescene powder. No need for any rubbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Go with Bepanthen. It contains dexpanthenol (otherwise known as pro-vitamin B5) and lanolin and ceramides as well as other lipids. It works by optimising trans-epidermal water loss (waterloss through the skin barrier) by suporting the skin barrier, it does not contain any fragrances and is about as gentle as you can get on the skin.

I need to disclose here that I have worked with Bayer (the manufacturers) as a consultant on this product. It does work and is marketed in the UK and Ireland as a Nappy rash cream but is marketed in other countries in Europe as a wound-healing cream. Before it was ever available in Ireland many tattoo parlours imported it and recommended it's ue to customers who had tattoos as it's good at repairing damaged skin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

My boy had one bout of nappy rash when he was 4 weeks, it lasted 3 weeks and never reoccurred (10 months now). I used most of the products mentioned here on him, found the Caldescene powder and plain old sudocreme worked the best - those combined with lots of no-nappy-time and no wipes, just cotton wool and water until the rash had cleared up. I now use the mildest wipes I can get and vaseline, with a rub of sudocreme if there's ever any redness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My daughter had very bad nappy rash a few months back, i literally tried every cream on the market and nothing worked. I asked in the chemist had they any suggestions and the girl suggested Canesten cream and thank god she did, the nappy rash disappeared in a matter of days. I always make sure that i have a tube handy in the house now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

SUDOCREME-you can't beat it! Cotton wool and luke warm water when changing, frequent warm baths just water nothing added and frequent nappy changes.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

Hi, hope ur little one's feeling a bit better.
    My two boys always had bad bouts of nappy rash when teething and like was already mentioned,
    water and cotton wool to clean.....no baby wipes,
    I found bepanthen great aswell but sometimes when the rash comes on really bad really suddenly it is not effective enough.
    He gets blisters and weeps and bleeds, I have actually cried with him over how bad it gets.
    I was recommended Lassars paste with 5% LPC (Coal tar)
    Some chemists will not make it up without perscription though.
    It is used primarily on adults with bad skin conditions.
    I noticed an improvement after the first application (overnight),
    I use it twice a day for a few days and no more rash ;)
    If you find that the nappy rash gets that severe I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it as I would be lost without it.
    Best of luck ;)

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Go with Bepanthen. It contains dexpanthenol (otherwise known as pro-vitamin B5) and lanolin and ceramides as well as other lipids. It works by optimising trans-epidermal water loss (waterloss through the skin barrier) by suporting the skin barrier, it does not contain any fragrances and is about as gentle as you can get on the skin.

I need to disclose here that I have worked with Bayer (the manufacturers) as a consultant on this product. It does work and is marketed in the UK and Ireland as a Nappy rash cream but is marketed in other countries in Europe as a wound-healing cream. Before it was ever available in Ireland many tattoo parlours imported it and recommended it's ue to customers who had tattoos as it's good at repairing damaged skin :)

my husband used this after his tattoo.. it is brilliant.. i use it on scratches and scrapes with the older kids but i haven't used it yet as a nappy rash so i couldn't say one way or the other as i'd no experience... yet ;)

So I saw the nurse today, and she said there's no point spending 50 quid on the doctor. She gave me a barrier spray sample (big enough sample!) and told me to just try that and put the nappy cream on top of it. Apparently you need to get a prescription for the stuff, so she saved me a fortune!

As I said I'm using the celendula cream, but would like to try something more antiseptic. I have some sudocrem in the house, but prefer the other stuff I use. For those of you who have used Bepanthen, which did you find worked better....the bepanthen or sudocrem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

hacked wrote: »
    So I saw the nurse today, and she said there's no point spending 50 quid on the doctor. She gave me a barrier spray sample (big enough sample!) and told me to just try that and put the nappy cream on top of it. Apparently you need to get a prescription for the stuff, so she saved me a fortune!

As I said I'm using the celendula cream, but would like to try something more antiseptic. I have some sudocrem in the house, but prefer the other stuff I use. For those of you who have used Bepanthen, which did you find worked better....the bepanthen or sudocrem?
    I definately find that bepanthen is far more effective than sudocrem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

+1 for the Bepanthan, my brother in law swore by it after using it on his tattoo's.
    I use it with my little lady, thankfully so far she hasn't had any bad nappy rash, just a bit red after her teething nappies.
    I don't use it at every change, I put it on at night because she'll be a few hours in the nappy & after a bad nappy, I really like it because it can be used as a barrier cream and heals the rash also.

I found an interesting thread on another pregnancy forum where cornflour was suggested, not sure as I haven't tried it myself but here's the link if anyone's interested;

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=258904&hilit=cornflour

Just re-read it & someone suggests egg white also.
    My mum swore by 'gentian violet' when my sis was a baby, don't think it's available anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Bepathen here too, found it brilliant, same as you woke one morning, poor baby was in bits. Changing him was awful, he was crying so much. Use soducrem normally until this flaired up, then got bepathen, had him right as rain in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Raw silk nappy liners also help heal nappy rash as they have natural antiseptic properties. (just remember that the liners are not disposable/flushable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

2 of my kids used to get blood blisters on their bums at teething time and Drapolene (from the chemist) was the best thing EVER.
    I tried pretty much everything else and found Drapolene was the only thing that worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Crea wrote: »
    2 of my kids used to get blood blisters on their bums at teething time and Drapolene (from the chemist) was the best thing EVER.
    I tried pretty much everything else and found Drapolene was the only thing that worked.

Very same situation with my daughter, always when a new tooth was coming through and Drapolene was a Godsend!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hi, I work in a creche & I've seen a huge variety of nappy rashes. What I find best is to lather on the sudocream & then give a good shake of the caldescene powder. I nearly always see an improvement at the next nappy change.

Another tip I've heard is to mix some vaseline with sudocreme, the sudocreme will dry out the rash and relieve it, while the vaseline will protect the area from fluids in the nappy. Hope the rash will be gone soon.

Hmm, well I've tried a number of things now, and not much improvement.I bought some Bepanthem yesterday as everyone I ask says it's amazing. Must go get some caldescene powder now! I think the poor little girl just has sensitive skin or something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

I can second the Lassars paste...used it for my older son..it is quite thick so difficult to spread and rub in..but we were advised to mix a bit with sudocream to help with application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

your posts reminded me of something my mum told me, when i was born she used pampers nappies, and she said i developed red welts quite often, she said sudo cream would get rid of them, but they kept re-occuring, an old relative of hers advised her to switch to huggies and she did and the welts stopped appearing. could they be allergic to the brand of nappy you are using?

thanks candlelover.

I had that experience with tesco nappies....i had to use them out of desperation one time, and they gave her horrible welts. Been using the pampers for months, and they seem ok. I prefered them to the huggies as they seem to absorb better.

I am fairly certain its just from teething, as the little welts are in the shape of her urine trickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Bepanthan all the way. A bit of caldesan (?spelling)powder if there is a touch of thrush

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

If it's not clearing up it could be thrush and that can be a pain to get rid of and you need an anti-fungal cream to shift it and need to apply it for 2 weeks after it clears up to be sure it's gone.

thanks deise...i have been wondering if it is thrush, as it's still going no where, and now has some tell tale signs...such as little red bumps. Going to the PHN, so hopefully she will be able to reccommend a cream i can use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

hey hacked;)

Yea the bepanthem i find is the best have tried all the others including drapoline but I find this is the deffo the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Tried everything with my daughter and the only thing that work is the cheapest thing - caster oil and zinc cream from boots own brand and corn flour. put on the cream sprinkle the corn flour and job done will start to heal straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I had the same problem but my son also had wounds around him anus, and at the hospital nurses gave me ointment called morhulin.. and our problems dissapeared totally. no more any wounds or nappy rush!!! of course please remember about regular nappy changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

I have used Morhulin and i think its great, my little one has gotten very bad nappy rash again now and im goin to buy more but i also have heard Caldescene powder is very good. This probably sounds like a silly question but can i use both cream and powder together? do they work together... Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement