Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOARDSIES DECIDE: Best Song Ever By A Black(Or Partly Black) Music Act!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Necro wrote: »
    I think we should let Kol nominate Billy Joel :D

I'd vote for him. I love Billy Joel. He's an amazing artist.

Just not black.

In fairness to Kolido (though I'm still laughing hours later), he does look a *bit* black, and in the the River of Dreams video a little *bit more* black than even normal.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Necro wrote: »
    I think we should let Kol nominate Billy Joel :D

But in the true spirit of the long and distinguished history of Irish people acting the maggot when it comes to internet voting, we'd then be obliged to make sure Billy Joel won the whole thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zaph wrote: »
    But in the true spirit of the long and distinguished history of Irish people acting the maggot when it comes to internet voting, we'd then be obliged to make sure Billy Joel won the while thing.

Kind of like Father Ted winning Best TV Show?

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not just on Boards. Remember A Nation Once Again winning best song ever?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote: »
    Not just on Boards. Remember A Nation Once Again winning best song ever?

:pac: It's not even the Wolfe Tones best song

• Advertisement

It goes all the way back to Ronnie O'Brien leading the Time Magazine Person of the Century vote in 1999, until the powers that be decided that he was a "frivolous candidate" and removed him. The online forums associated with that poll were my first experience of discussion sites, and probably to this day still the most entertaining.

For those who've never heard of Ronnie O'Brien, he was a young guy from Bray who somehow ended up signing for Juventus, although he never actually played for them. Went on to have a decent career playing in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,963 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kolido wrote: »
    While I have on occasions, not in this case. I really thought the guy who sang the piano man and uptown girl was black.

ROTFL

• Registered Users Posts: 84,963 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'd vote for him. I love Billy Joel. He's an amazing artist.

Just not black.

In fairness to Kolido (though I'm still laughing hours later), he does look a *bit* black, and in the the River of Dreams video a little *bit more* black than even normal.

Tom Jones should qualify too then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ok, songs send.

I was seriously tempted to submit 10 Prince songs, but I decided it was an overkill and I settled for 2.

But I couldn't resist the temptation of a joke entry :P:D:pac:

All my entries are amazing. I will be very disappointed in all of you if you don’t let me win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Up to around 100 songs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I you let Billy Joel enter, it is the thin end of the wedge! Who will be next Barry Manilow? :eek:

No one has selected anything from Will Smith's back catalogue of classics. You people are a continual disappointment to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Reberetta wrote: »
    No one has selected anything from Will Smith's back catalogue of classics. You people are a continual disappointment to me.

I did seriously consider Will 2K, Wild Wild West, and Summertime... and if I had had more of 10 nominations, one of them would've most likely made the cut.

If you wanna just throw those three in to the mix anyway, I wouldn't object... ;)

giphy.gif

I might throw in a few preliminary rounds for the final four places in the draw, featuring classic songs that weren't nominated. The Fresh Prince will be in the mix one way or another.

In the meantime, keep the submissions coming folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I actually initially had a song by him in my list of ten before I submitted it, but then I remembered another song I wanted in the list more!

My selection is just pure class and there is something wrong with the voters if they are not voted for. :D

When will the nominations close and the voting start?

Depending on when it is, I may have to sit it out and just hope that people give my class songs a listen and realize their true worth...and obviously vote for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I actually initially had a song by him in my list of ten before I submitted it, but then I remembered another song I wanted in the list more!

My selection is just pure class and there is something wrong with the voters if they are not voted for. :D

Depending on when it is, I may have to sit it out and just hope that people give my class songs a listen and realize their true worth...and obviously vote for them!

tenor.gif?itemid=16800252
    :pac:

I'll be shocked if any of my songs make it to round two. Well there's one that might, but I expect carnage among the rest. Have you people no taste? :pac:

Zaph wrote:
    I'll be shocked if any of my songs make it to round two. Well there's one that might, but I expect carnage among the rest. Have you people no taste?

Oh I can think of one that might do well. B Goode now Zaph :P

When will you be unavailable? I can run it when it suits you, I don't mind.

Around 115 songs nominated now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

When will you be unavailable? I can run it when it suits you, I don't mind.

Around 115 songs nominated now.

Next weekend will probably suit. But, as I say, it does not have to revolve around me. I gave my nominations and, fingers crossed, the good people of Forumland will vote for some of them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How do you nominate a song

Send a PM to Reberetta. You can nominate up to 10 songs and include a YouTube link if possible.

Reb, I need to amend a youtube link on one of mine but PMs not working. Just reminding myself here that I have to do it.

I've decided I'm going to run 10 prelim matches featuring multiple artists for the final 10 places in the draw.

These matches will probably include:

One song from most lists submitted- chosen at random
    A few personal favourites
    Some big hits
    One song each from the biggest selling and/or most influential black artists of all-time

It sounds more complicated than it is; rest assured, you won't have to listen to a million songs like you did for Strawberry Milkshake's female artist one! :P

In the meantime, there's room for two or three more lists of ten.

Kolido, PlentyOhToole & Borne Toby Wilde seemed interested in nominating something earlier but I haven't received anything from them.

Whoever's interested-get a move on before it's too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Will you be still opened in the morning Rebe, I have a list on my work laptop, must have forgot to pm you.

Kolido wrote: »
    Will you be still opened in the morning Rebe.

Yep.

Sign-ups closed.

Lately I really got into the subject so...
    you won't have to listen to a million songs like you did for Strawberry Milkshake's female artist one! :P

I lied.:P

Main Tournament thread is here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114245219#post114245219

Advertisement