Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭tigger123

Moghead wrote: »
    If it goes full on like Fox News, with their own version of shows like Fox & Friends, I wonder how they will frame issues and politics in Northern Ireland? Will the likes of Sammy Wilson be regular guests? How would those on this thread looking forward to this channel feel if there is an anti Nationalist bias?

I doubt they'd pay it too much attention tbh, unless its particularly topical.

Middle England doesn't care about the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tigger123 wrote: »

They barely care about their own North (Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds Newcastle etc) never mind what they consider another country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

tigger123 wrote: »
    I doubt they'd pay it too much attention tbh, unless its particularly topical.

They don't really care about anything beyond forcing their cultural views on other people. It's why there's no outrage about fishermen going bankrupt. They were just a tool to argue for Brexit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Butson

People lampoon Fox News in the States for being nakedly right wing and Republican. Fair enough.
    CNN is now an embarrassment on the opposite end of the scale. It is a Democratic Party mouthpiece. Yet the Irish media here fawn over it.
    Weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Butson wrote: »
    People lampoon Fox News in the States for being nakedly right wing and Republican. Fair enough.
    CNN is now an embarrassment on the opposite end of the scale. It is a Democratic Party mouthpiece. Yet the Irish media here fawn over it.
    Weird.

Evidence for this?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Butson

Evidence for this?

https://youtu.be/tXasadwCrZI

Butson wrote: »

Random clip. No thanks.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Moghead wrote: »
    If it goes full on like Fox News, with their own version of shows like Fox & Friends, I wonder how they will frame issues and politics in Northern Ireland? Will the likes of Sammy Wilson be regular guests? How would those on this thread looking forward to this channel feel if there is an anti Nationalist bias?

Andrew Neil is deeply opposed to a United Ireland so theres a good chance of nudey Sammy getting a slot

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Andrew Neil is deeply opposed to a United Ireland so theres a good chance of nudey Sammy getting a slot

Looks like little Englanderism is going to be the heart of this endeavour so expect the DUP to feature prominently.

H. H. Asquith

Looks like little Englanderism is going to be the heart of this endeavour so expect the DUP to feature prominently.

his opposition to a United Ireland stems more from his Scottish Unionism

• Advertisement

his opposition to a United Ireland stems more from his Scottish Unionism

Sure but that's the demographic this channel is being aimed at. Neil himself is a Scottish Unionist but the sort of culture war nonsense they're looking to push is going to have a heavy anti-independence component.

H. H. Asquith

Sure but that's the demographic this channel is being aimed at. Neil himself is a Scottish Unionist but the sort of culture war nonsense they're looking to push is going to have a heavy anti-independence component.

ive never liked Neil but hes at best a moderate Conservative , being pro union doesnt change that

ive never liked Neil but hes at best a moderate Conservative , being pro union doesnt change that

I don't think it does but this isn't going to be a one man operation. It's clearly intended to import the Fox News model from the US.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭newhouse87

People already giving out about it and it hasnt even aired yet, how about give it a chance, alternative viewpoints are good. Some people only want to hear viewpoionts similar to there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

francois wrote: »
    In other words a bit of confirmation bias. The fact that both the left and right constantly whinge about the BBC means they're doing something right.

I would say there may well be a grain of truth to that statement.

However, i think in a very general way, there is a major difference in the nature of those complaints. Broadly, when leftist elements whinge about bbc coverage, it is in relation to something that happened, whether johnson footage being edited, sunak being portrayed as superman, Kuennsberg tweeting lies about a tory being assaulted or some such etc. Not always, but its usually based on SPECIFIC incidents.

Whereas, the right. The bbc is a hotbed of lefty woke liberals. Completely biased. Poor old nige (near record appearances on QT bedamned) and his loyal army of straight shooters can never get a look in. The nasty bbc establishment is all agin them. Doesnt matter if its actually true or not. Just shout it out and keep shouting it, in capital letters, and enough gullible people will start to believe it. Its the culture wars and they know how to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

newhouse87 wrote: »
    People already giving out about it and it hasnt even aired yet, how about give it a chance, alternative viewpoints are good. Some people only want to hear viewpoionts similar to there own.

The problem is people who want to make sure that other viewpoints are not heard at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"GB News" feels a bit insular. To the point I had to confirm it wasn't the name of the news channel in V for Vendetta :pac: Without seeing its content it sounds like it's aiming for a regression of UK's perspective rather than an outward one. We'll see I guess .

A diversity of opinion in news media is a good thing. However I'd question how well those championing the "anti-woke" narrative know of Andrew Neil because he's not what I'd call an honest merchant either. Not an extremist but still far from European centrism. Objectivity in news is a white elephant at the best of times but there's nothing in Neil's ideology that tells me he'll occupy any apparently barren middle ground (though annoying Ben Shapiro did endear him to me a little lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Whereas, the right. The bbc is a hotbed of lefty woke liberals. Completely biased. Poor old nige (near record appearances on QT bedamned) and his loyal army of straight shooters can never get a look in. The nasty bbc establishment is all agin them. Doesnt matter if its actually true or not. Just shout it out and keep shouting it, in capital letters, and enough gullible people will start to believe it. Its the culture wars and they know how to play it.

There is evidence of this though. Take this photo last year of one of the "mostly peaceful" protests outside Downing Street.

TELEMMGLPICT000232616699_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqYbHyc_BzkV-wGdElElElaH50yII6i4NrNdAg0ocHcbI.jpeg?imwidth=960

When the BBC ran it they cropped out the guy trying to bash the cop on the head with that piece of wood, they were forced to put the original back up when people noticed what they had done (original was like a Reuters/AP photo or similar so they made a deliberate call to frame the picture in a way that just looked like a cop shoving protestors pushing against him)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭francois

There is evidence of this though. Take this photo last year of one of the "mostly peaceful" protests outside Downing Street.

TELEMMGLPICT000232616699_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqYbHyc_BzkV-wGdElElElaH50yII6i4NrNdAg0ocHcbI.jpeg?imwidth=960

When the BBC ran it they cropped out the guy trying to bash the cop on the head with that piece of wood, they were forced to put the original back up when people noticed what they had done (original was like a Reuters/AP photo or similar so they made a deliberate call to frame the picture in a way that just looked like a cop shoving protestors pushing against him)

They also doctored Johnson's cenotaph appearance, your point is moot

francois wrote: »
    They also doctored Johnson's cenotaph appearance, your point is moot

Oh my point isn't that the BBC doesn't have a pro-Government bias, and I was not a particular fan of Jeremy Corbyn but they were definitely biased against him.

My point is that the BBC the accusation that it has a strong socially "liberal" bias that effects how they frame and present issues has merit.

Basically they are biased in multiple directions on the economic Vs the social Vs the political. Fact that it's multiple different views complaining of bias doesn't mean they are neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

pixelburp wrote: »
    "GB News" feels a bit insular. To the point I had to confirm it wasn't the name of the news channel in V for Vendetta :pac: Without seeing its content it sounds like it's aiming for a regression of UK's perspective rather than an outward one. We'll see I guess .

A diversity of opinion in news media is a good thing. However I'd question how well those championing the "anti-woke" narrative know of Andrew Neil because he's not what I'd call an honest merchant either. Not an extremist but still far from European centrism. Objectivity in news is a white elephant at the best of times but there's nothing in Neil's ideology that tells me he'll occupy any apparently barren middle ground (though annoying Ben Shapiro did endear him to me a little lol)

This point highlights the problem with the "news". Not one of them should have opinions in a professional capacity, it should be facts alone, no opinions, as that is what the news should be. The fact that we're talking about the ideologies of our news outlets shows how far down the well we are.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thats fair enough. I'm sure the bbc probably edit stuff for all sorts of reasons, but the point i was making is that i dont think it matters to many on the right whether the evidence exists or not. I mean brexit isnt strictly a left/right divide but we spent 4/5 years listening to allegations of bbc brexit bias from figures on the right without any basis in fact, which never really mattered as their intended base either believed it or it just confirmed their existing belief.

Sure, the left complain about coverage but i would point to how corbyn, who had more cause than most, never threatened to boycott them and even turned up to face a pounding from Andrew Neill. In contrast, Johnson not just dodged neil but the tories subsequently boycotted Newsnight on the flimsy pretext Lewis Goodall, chief reporter, is pro labour. All that seeds and entrenches the bogus notion of an ingrained bbc bias which is what it is carefully designed to do.

Also, i think it would be useful to distinguish what we mean by leftism here and the liberalism people are referring to. The two may overlap a good deal, but they are not quite the same thing. I've no doubt that a lot of bbc staff hate the left, viscerally in the case of Kuennsberg, Neil etc, like the majority of the uk msm.

Thats fair enough. I'm sure the bbc probably edit stuff for all sorts of reasons, but the point i was making is that i dont think it matters to many on the right whether the evidence exists or not. I mean brexit isnt strictly a left/right divide but we spent 4/5 years listening to allegations of bbc brexit bias from figures on the right without any basis in fact, which never really mattered as their intended base either believed it or it just confirmed their existing belief.

Sure, the left complain about coverage but i would point to how corbyn, who had more cause than most, never threatened to boycott them and even turned up to face a pounding from Andrew Neill. In contrast, Johnson not just dodged neil but the tories subsequently boycotted Newsnight on the flimsy pretext Lewis Goodall, chief reporter, is pro labour. All that seeds and entrenches the bogus notion of an ingrained bbc bias which is what it is carefully designed to do.

Also, i think it would be useful to distinguish what we mean by leftism here and the liberalism people are referring to. The two may overlap a good deal, but they are not quite the same thing. I've no doubt that a lot of bbc staff hate the left, viscerally in the case of Kuennsberg, Neil etc, like the majority of the uk msm.

I think we're basically in agreement actually particularly about Corbyn!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The UK already has an abundance of right wing media, even the BBC is towing the tory line to keep the funding going. It's launching into quite a crowded marketplace, and funnily enough, may push other media further left to capture audience (the British left seem to have guardian/observer then twitter as their news sources).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,879 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I would say there may well be a grain of truth to that statement.

However, i think in a very general way, there is a major difference in the nature of those complaints. Broadly, when leftist elements whinge about bbc coverage, it is in relation to something that happened, whether johnson footage being edited, sunak being portrayed as superman, Kuennsberg tweeting lies about a tory being assaulted or some such etc. Not always, but its usually based on SPECIFIC incidents.

The fact that the BBC produced one of the worst hatchet jobs I've ever seen on an Labour leader shows clearly that the whinging about BBC lefty bias is a load of old bollocks and is usually just coming from simple minded whiners because they don't hear what they want to hear 24/7.

Auntie Beeb has always had a fairly conservative leaning. This may have been more watered down in the last few years, but the claims of it being left wing are just cretinous.

As to Andrew Neil's 'GB News', if you've ever read 'The Spectator', you have a good idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Tony EH wrote: »
    The fact that the BBC produced one of the worst hatchet jobs I've ever seen on an Labour leader shows clearly that the whinging about BBC lefty bias is a load of old bollocks and is usually just coming from simple minded whiners because they don't hear what they want to hear 24/7.

Auntie Beeb has always had a fairly conservative leaning. This may have been more watered down in the last few years, but the claims of it being left wing are just cretinous.

As to Andrew Neil's 'GB News', if you've ever read 'The Spectator', you have a good idea of what to expect.
    I wonder why a company full of millionaires would perform a hatchet job on a politician who preaches about salary caps, wage equality and higher income tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One name has been self revealed - News International hack Dan Wootton

https://muckrack.com/danwootton

If this is the level they are pitching at it's in trouble outside of low grade Brexiteer cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭briany

pixelburp wrote: »
    A diversity of opinion in news media is a good thing.

The problem these days is that the news is all opinion, or rather that the emphasis has shifted toward editorial comment and punditry. Ultimately, I think we were better off when the news was a man or woman at a desk reporting the events of the day for a half an hour, and then you got on with your evening.

And it's not even really diversity of opinion. It's just left-leaning or right-leaning That's about as diverse as the old joke about the bar that has both kinds of music - country or western. One side demonising the other. If we had channels that gave the Rastafarian opinion, the teenage opinion, the yacht owners' opinion, and the coal miners' opinion, then that would be more like true diversity of opinion in the news media, but it's not that at all.

One thing that's clear: allowing naked partisanship in news media leads nowhere good. Demonising of the other side is not conducive to societal stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Sky News just grew up that's all.

Sky News is just The Sun tabloid on screen.
    Unfortunately there are no independent news channels, each and every one has an agenda to push. This new one doesn't seem to be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,879 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I wonder why a company full of millionaires would perform a hatchet job on a politician who preaches about salary caps, wage equality and higher income tax?

Well, it certainly wasn't because of a "left wing bias" or any of that cobblers, that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement