Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Qualifications Required for 3rd Level Lecturing

Options
  • 05-01-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello all,

I just had a thought and I was hoping someone would be able to answer me. I always wanted to lecture, I like the "relative" freedom of 3rd level teaching rather than secondary level. I have an MA in Economics and a BA in Economics and Maths. Would these qualifications be enough to get me a job lecturing or do I need to do some further qualifications? I have my eye on an IT job here, rather than a University. If that makes a difference. Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

In theory, yes, particularly in the ITs where the lack of a doctoral qualification isn't a dealbreaker. But competition — even for p/t hours and temporary contracts — is pretty fierce. Lots of unemployed PhDs out there, especially in Humanities-type disciplines...

Where are you based? Outside of Dublin the field of candidates can be smaller, for any given post, and being in the right place at the right time can count for a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

I'm based in Kerry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I've read many lecturer job specs. They all want PhD level - with experience. Like how am I to get experience if I can't take a job?! They also require 5+ years of postdoc.

I mean I have teaching experience, and a few years postdoc over two labs, so I'd still consider applying.

If I didn't have to take a potential 8 grand paycut just to start a new position with more work for less money. Great craic in academia.

Would cosider doing a hdip and go back to secondary school to teach science.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hello all,

I just had a thought and I was hoping someone would be able to answer me. I always wanted to lecture, I like the "relative" freedom of 3rd level teaching rather than secondary level. I have an MA in Economics and a BA in Economics and Maths. Would these qualifications be enough to get me a job lecturing or do I need to do some further qualifications? I have my eye on an IT job here, rather than a University. If that makes a difference. Thank you.

Uni = must have Ph.D.

IoT = with an MA in economics you might get work as an economics lecturer, but how much demand is there for these in IoTs?

Advertisement