Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-04-2020, 09:32   #1696
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophile View Post
Congratulations and best wishes to Alan Kelly on being elected leader of the Labour Party.
I second that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-04-2020, 09:38   #1697
touts

Congrats to Gareth Aherne who won a seat in the Senate.

That'll make him a cert to run in the next Dail election. If he raises his profile then Cahill's seat will be under threat.
(3) thanks from:
04-04-2020, 13:56   #1698
Wrongway1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by touts View Post
Congrats to Gareth Aherne who won a seat in the Senate.

That'll make him a cert to run in the next Dail election. If he raises his profile then Cahill's seat will be under threat.
The reality is he notched a consolation prize and fair play to him that's the situation.

However, this bluffer already ran in the Dail election to raise his profile, you should not be allowed contest the Seanad after being a recent general election reject but here we are.
04-04-2020, 15:45   #1699
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway1985 View Post
The reality is he notched a consolation prize and fair play to him that's the situation.

However, this bluffer already ran in the Dail election to raise his profile, you should not be allowed contest the Seanad after being a recent general election reject but here we are.
I dont think being unsuccessful in general election should disqualify anyone from running in seanad election. The main change for seanad should ses those elected to panels be more reflective of what they're meant to represent and people from the various sections should be eligible to vote for the senators on those panels
04-04-2020, 19:06   #1700
elperello

Quote:
Congratulations and best wishes to Alan Kelly on being elected leader of the Labour Party.
Is he the first Tipperary TD to be a party leader?
Advertisement
04-04-2020, 20:11   #1701
Purple Mountain

Quote:

He's a Councillor and lord mayor in case you didn't notice?
04-04-2020, 21:08   #1702
Xenophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
Is he the first Tipperary TD to be a party leader?
General Richard Mulcahy, was leaderof Fine Gael and represented the constituency of Tipperary 1944 to 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mulcahy
04-04-2020, 21:31   #1703
elperello

Quote:
General Richard Mulcahy, was leaderof Fine Gael and represented the constituency of Tipperary 1944 to 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mulcahy
Thanks for that.
Thanks from:
06-04-2020, 17:55   #1704
Wrongway1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Mountain View Post
He's a Councillor and lord mayor in case you didn't notice?
I'm quite aware of this but why should that alter my view, what's your point?
Advertisement
06-04-2020, 19:15   #1705
darragh o meara

I seen some posts online suggesting that Darren Ryan will be co-opted into Aherns place on the council and possibly Mayor until June/July. Anyone have anymore info on this? I’m pretty sure he didnt run for the council last time and is/was a Labour politician. Can’t figure it out tbh.
06-04-2020, 21:27   #1706
digzy

Quote:
It’s not Aherne’s fault the seanad and the system of electing it Is a sham. How is he any more of a ‘bluffer’ than Mattie or Martin Browne? Speaking to local chamber of commerce chair, the feedback is that Kelly is the best of them and Lowry helpful too. The other trio ain’t up to much.
Regarding rejection by the electorate, the Seanad appears to be a reward for failure. Aherne’s not alone in that.
The ‘panels’ are another joke. What’s Lynn Boylan doing one an agricultural panel .

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.
06-04-2020, 22:04   #1707
Maryanne84

[QUOTE=digzy;113078683]It’s not Aherne’s fault the seanad and the system of electing it Is a sham. How is he any more of a ‘bluffer’ than Mattie or Martin Browne? Speaking to local chamber of commerce chair, the feedback is that Kelly is the best of them and Lowry helpful too. The other trio ain’t up to much.
Regarding rejection by the electorate, the Seanad appears to be a reward for failure. Aherne’s not alone in that.
The ‘panels’ are another joke. What’s Lynn Boylan doing one an agricultural panel .

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.[/QUOTE]

Then your opinion doesn’t matter one jot.
(3) thanks from:
07-04-2020, 06:19   #1708
digzy

[quote="Maryanne84;113079189"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digzy View Post
It’s not Aherne’s fault the seanad and the system of electing it Is a sham. How is he any more of a ‘bluffer’ than Mattie or Martin Browne? Speaking to local chamber of commerce chair, the feedback is that Kelly is the best of them and Lowry helpful too. The other trio ain’t up to much.

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.[/QUOTE]

Then your opinion doesn’t matter one jot.
Unfortunately you’re not sophisticated enough to understand the nuance of spoiling a vote.
I refuse to give a mandate to anyone in the Seanad.

https://unherd.com/2019/12/why-im-going-to-spoil-my-ballot/

https://votingcounts.org.uk/spoilt-ballot

Have a read of those for yourself and you might learn something

Who did you vote for?

Last edited by digzy; 07-04-2020 at 07:45.
07-04-2020, 08:29   #1709
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digzy View Post
The ‘panels’ are another joke. What’s Lynn Boylan doing one an agricultural panel.

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.
I think Lowrys a crook and wouldnt go to him about anything and while I agree to an extent with you on the panels in the seanad. They should be changed both in terms of who votes for them and who can be nominated for the specific panels.
But spoiling your vote doesnt show anything unless there is a widespread plan/campaign to show something up. Which you doing so doesnt
[QUOTE=digzy;113081329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post

Unfortunately you’re not sophisticated enough to understand the nuance of spoiling a vote.
I refuse to give a mandate to anyone in the Seanad.

https://unherd.com/2019/12/why-im-go...oil-my-ballot/

https://votingcounts.org.uk/spoilt-ballot

Have a read of those for yourself and you might learn something

Who did you vote for?
only if people stay at home/dont vote in large numbers or an extraordinary amount of spoiled votes suggest there is voter apathy.
And it's very simple a body having some form of oversight on the dail is very much needed
07-04-2020, 09:40   #1710
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darragh o meara View Post
I seen some posts online suggesting that Darren Ryan will be co-opted into Aherns place on the council and possibly Mayor until June/July. Anyone have anymore info on this? I’m pretty sure he didnt run for the council last time and is/was a Labour politician. Can’t figure it out tbh.
It will be a Fine Gael seat. Someone from their Clonmel branch.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion