Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2020, 09:39   #1651
Expunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyjane View Post
I never even knew getting nominated by vets was a thing but if she does good things for animal welfare then maybe better than others.
That's all very well, but is she even the best Vet for the job?
Advertisement
26-02-2020, 11:00   #1652
Chakra Blue

Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath to lead Rural Independent Group in talks with Fianna Fail leader Miceal Martin today
TALKS ON GOVERNMENT FORMATION
26 Feb 2020
Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath to lead Rural Independent Group in talks with Fianna Fail leader Miceal Martin today
Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath and Fianna Fail leader Miceal Martin will meet on government formation talks

The Rural Independent Group is set to meet with Fianna Fail leader Micheál Martin and members of his negotiating team at 11am this morning.

The meeting is part of a series of ongoing engagements that the Rural Group are participating in, in order to bring about what it describes as ‘the formation of a viable and durable government.’

Convenor of the Rural Independent Group, Mattie McGrath, went on to say that “the priority has to be about bringing an end to the political posturing so that major public concerns arounds health and housing can be addressed:”

“The Rural Independent Group is very aware that the people we represent, and indeed people generally, do not have time to wait while the main political parties dance around the issue of getting down to business and bringing about a platform for significant policy change.

We have always said that we are willing to be constructive and play our part. That is the approach we will be taking in to our meeting this morning with Fianna Fail. We hope and expect this attitude to be reciprocated,”
*******************(****************
From Tipperary live on FB........
26-02-2020, 12:10   #1653
Expunge

And on Mattie's shopping list....

A new Castel Gandolfo (summer palace) for the Pope at Knocklofty
Newcastle/Ballybacon/Grange International Airport........
Harvard University (Ardfinnan Campus)
Eiffel Tower Replica (and a metro) for Cahir
Knockmealdowns European Space Observatory
The Liam Lynch International Centre for Conflict Resolution

...... and no more f*cking carbon taxes on the humble briquette or sod of turf!
26-02-2020, 12:58   #1654
Wrongway1985

Full of hot air Mattie, going around commenting on political posturing when the man hasn't shown any forthcoming on who he intends to back yet
(2) thanks from:
26-02-2020, 19:43   #1655
Heraldoffreeent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
And on Mattie's shopping list....

A new Castel Gandolfo (summer palace) for the Pope at Knocklofty
Newcastle/Ballybacon/Grange International Airport........
Harvard University (Ardfinnan Campus)
Eiffel Tower Replica (and a metro) for Cahir
Knockmealdowns European Space Observatory
The Liam Lynch International Centre for Conflict Resolution

...... and no more f*cking carbon taxes on the humble briquette or sod of turf!
Can't believe he's not pushing for a Port in Tipp, with Brexit coming down the tracks and all........
Advertisement
26-02-2020, 20:10   #1656
Xenophile

Can't believe he's not pushing for a Port in Tipp, with Brexit coming down the tracks and all........

Mattie will loose out by not including an airport for Borrisoleigh.
And of course there should be two ports in Tipperary one on the Shannon in Portroe and another on the Suir in Kilsheelan.
27-02-2020, 08:56   #1657
Expunge

Oh and I forgot one more.....

A verifiable Marian apparition on McGrath land or at least in the back of McCarra's Londis in Newcastle.

His good mate Pope Francis and flakey Bishop Fonsie to help out.
28-02-2020, 19:38   #1658
Xenophile

The two Fine Gael members who failed to win seats in the General Election have been nominated to contest seats in the Seanad Election.

Feb 21, 2020 - NOMINATED BY VETERINARY COUNCIL OF IRELAND Mary Newman Julian has confirmed that she has received a nomination to contest the forthcoming Seanad Election from the Veterinary Council of Ireland (VCI). ... She has been nominated by the Veterinary Council of Ireland as a candidate on the Cultural and Educational panel.

The decision by Fine Gael to back Tipperary general election candidate Garret Ahearn for the Seanad elections is also a surprise. The decision is despite the fact that Ms O'Connell's sister, Mary Newman Julian, who also ran in Tipperary for the party in the general election, has already been nominated for the Seanad race by an outside body.
28-02-2020, 23:29   #1659
It wasnt me123

This is why we need to change the way the Seanad members are elected / or the Seanad full stop. Jobs for the boys, they weren’t elected as TDS, the electorate didn’t want them, so they shove them down our throats as Senators - ridiculous.
Advertisement
29-02-2020, 09:51   #1660
Wrongway1985

Yeah many people voted to keep the Seanad on the basis of reformation discussion preceding that referendum it got no further than discussion as soon as the votes were cast of course.
29-02-2020, 10:33   #1661
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway1985 View Post
Yeah many people voted to keep the Seanad on the basis of reformation discussion preceding that referendum it got no further than discussion as soon as the votes were cast of course.
Reform was never on the agenda. The only options given were keep the Seanad as is. Or abolish. We weren’t given the option to vote for reform or reduction of numbers, which most people would have gone for.
Thanks from:
29-02-2020, 15:17   #1662
It wasnt me123

We, the people, not the elitist clubs, should vote for the Senators - if indeed we need a Seanad - at the same time as we vote for the General Election - they should be linked - that way they don't offload their unwanted TDs on us in another form. They must think we are right mugs.
(3) thanks from:
29-02-2020, 16:28   #1663
Wrongway1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
Reform was never on the agenda. The only options given were keep the Seanad as is. Or abolish. We weren’t given the option to vote for reform or reduction of numbers, which most people would have gone for.
Who's under any illusions what we were asked?

I only pointed out the tales told at the time...

And stating the obvious in keeping the Seanad it does keep the apparent possibility option open; that all ends and probably should have with abolition.
Thanks from:
29-02-2020, 21:18   #1664
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by It wasnt me123 View Post
This is why we need to change the way the Seanad members are elected / or the Seanad full stop. Jobs for the boys, they weren’t elected as TDS, the electorate didn’t want them, so they shove them down our throats as Senators - ridiculous.
we do need to change how senators are elected but cant simply be same method as dail is electedm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
you were never going to get a vote on various ways to have seanad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It wasnt me123 View Post
We, the people, not the elitist clubs, should vote for the Senators - if indeed we need a Seanad - at the same time as we vote for the General Election - they should be linked - that way they don't offload their unwanted TDs on us in another form. They must think we are right mugs.
I dont think it should be elected in the same way as the dail. Keep the panels but expand who can vote for the various panels to people(experts) who work in those fields. That would be good enough.
01-03-2020, 00:28   #1665
It wasnt me123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Sheep View Post

I dont think it should be elected in the same way as the dail. Keep the panels but expand who can vote for the various panels to people(experts) who work in those fields. That would be good enough.
No its not good enough and we should vote for them - why should some unaccountable person get to make decisions for me or anyone else for that matter and who chooses who these so called experts are? And why can’t we vote for them at the same time as a general election? We are capable at filling in two ballot papers.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion