Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wearing a Smart watch on a night out

• 03-01-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I am wondering is there a smart watch that is acceptable to wear with dresses on nights out etc.

Please note this is not to keep track of activity but I just need to be reachable by phone at the moment. I feel wearing some type of smart watch would prevent me looking at my phone all the time.
    Post edited by Twee. on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Friend of mine has one, no idea what it is but the face just looks like the digital representation of an analog watch.

It looks grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I use a gearfit pro 2. It's more discreet and connects to my phone. Vibrates when someone calls and I can see at a glance who's calling (it displays the contact or phone number.) I can also reply by text from the watch, using pre prepared messages.
    Notifies and displays WhatsApp and txt messages as well.
    And has multiple face options.
    And if I have it paired with ear buds, I can answer and talk, without taking out my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

why would it matter if you wore one or not! Just leave your phone at home to stop you looking at it

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Milly33 wrote: »
    why would it matter if you wore one or not! Just leave your phone at home to stop you looking at it

I think you missed the bit about the OP needing to be reachable by phone at the minute. It's actually the most important part of the post..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Samsung have some trendy looking smart watches

you can change faces on that fossil that I linked before

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/fossil-q-venture-hr-review-6546

e.g. 32005-original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

My wife and I both have Withings Steel watches. They're analogue watches with a little digital screen. Text messages, WhatsApp and phone calls can all be set to pop up and also vibrate.

I think they're pretty cool looking. My wife has the Rose gold watch and strap. I have a "silver" watch with brown leather strap.

https://www.withings.com/ie/en/steel-hr/shop

The watch its has a basic pedometer and tracks a range of activities along with sleep and heart rate. I love it.

It's great when you're on a night out and your phone is in a bag or coat. You won't miss any important calls or messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 and it's synched to my phone. It vibrates when I get any type of messages or calls and displays the details on screen. I've bought a couple of sparklier straps for going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

aido79 wrote: »
    I think you missed the bit about the OP needing to be reachable by phone at the minute. It's actually the most important part of the post..

yes sorry missed that bit haha, would just bring a phone still and just say that instead of getting something new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Husband got me a smartwatch for Christmas. A fossil one like the photo above but with a rose gold face/silicone strap. Have to say I really like it. It means I can leave my phone down more often as notifications pop up on the watch screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Unless you’re 12 years old don’t wear a smart watch, especially on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Unless you’re 12 years old don’t wear a smart watch, especially on a night out.
    OK granpa/grandma.

Thanks for sharing. (really)
    It's 2020,(see what I did)time has moved on.

Please share why only 12 Yr old should wear a smart watch on a night out and not an adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Here's a lovely stylish one, on very good price at the moment. 7 day battery life, with lots of features, good reviews and I've just bought one for my wife.

Don't see any issues wearing this or any other smart watch on a night out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07XQV9F5K?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

ForestFire wrote: »
    Here's a lovely stylish one, on very good price at the moment. 7 day battery life, with lots of features, good reviews and I've just bought one for my wife.

OMG that is a terrible watch. You could buy a Seiko, Orient or other watch that has real heritage and a history of making watches for that price point.

ForestFire wrote: »

I have the 46mm one. Sport I think, and I havea skinny wrist and still looks good. I get about 12 days before charging.

Not a full smart watch, but can make and receive calls.
    Only get a preview of msgs on it.

But I'm fine with that, the battery life more than makes up for it.

Notdeco wrote: »
    OK granpa/grandma.

Thanks for sharing. (really)
    It's 2020,(see what I did)time has moved on.

Please share why only 12 Yr old should wear a smart watch on a night out and not an adult?

A smart watch is a toy and children play with toys. Would you still get your mother to pin you mittens to your sleeves going on a night out?

OMG that is a terrible watch. You could buy a Seiko, Orient or other watch that has real heritage and a history of making watches for that price point.
    Bit of a snob eh?
    You don't get the point of the thread, do you.

Different strokes for different folks.
    (you really should read the op)

A smart watch is a toy and children play with toys. Would you still get your mother to pin you mittens to your sleeves going on a night out?

You are trolling now, reported

Notdeco wrote: »
    You are trolling now, reported

You need to grow up and not just your fashion sense. I post about something being childish and you react by throwing a tantrum and reporting me, at least tell me you see the irony in that.

Going back to the watch. You can, if you want, like the same things you liked when you were 12 years old but if you do then it’s time to grow up.

“When I was a child,
    I spoke as a child,
    I understood as a child,
    I thought as a child:
    But when I became a man,
    I put away childish things.”

Even the bible gets it.

• Advertisement

You need to grow up and not just your fashion sense. I post about something being childish and you react by throwing a tantrum and reporting me, at least tell me you see the irony in that.

Going back to the watch. You can, if you want, like the same things you liked when you were 12 years old but if you do then it’s time to grow up.

“When I was a child,
    I spoke as a child,
    I understood as a child,
    I thought as a child:
    But when I became a man,

Even the bible gets it.

So why tonight are you digging up op posts to reply to? No school tomorrow huh? So many that have not been active for 2 weeks or more and you are replying to them. Oh Yea...

You should not try to belittle other posters just because they would like to use a smartwatch instead of an analogue.
    Even in the watchs an timepieces forum no one would belittle anyone for getting /using a smart watch.

“When I was a child,
    I spoke as a child,
    I understood as a child,
    I thought as a child:
    But when I became a man,

Even the bible gets it.

Are you a time lord? Because when I was 12 yrs old there was no such thing as a smartwatch... Soo.....

I have a Seiko, and 2 other analog watches, so I've got heritage and history covered.... Whatever that means.

It capable of telling the time and the date as far as I know and sits in the drawer.

The hawaie tells time, date, caladar, remiders, calls, messages, music, heart rate, spo2, stress, steps and fitness etc.

It has many face options suitable for formal, sport and fun...

I also got rid of our black and white TV, tapes, VHS, a few years back for some hidious flat screen thing, something called a Google home (but you can't live in it) and Spotify (do not clearasil on it)....

But hey what would I known...

That is a horrible gawky, flashy, shiny and clunky piece of kit. Seriously, just because something is flashy and shiny doesn’t mean it’s nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

That is a horrible gawky, flashy, shiny and clunky piece of kit. Seriously, just because something is flashy and shiny doesn’t mean it’s nice.

Your entitled to your own opinion and taste and you've made your point at this stage, it's getting old

Okay let's see your recommendation for a 200euro watch you recommend we consider.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Tickers - do not post in this thread again unless you can answer the OP's question and learn to contribute to this forum in a positive way. Any further off topic or troll posts will results in red cards and bans.

Please keep on topic - everyone. The poster has made clear why they need/want a smart watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Watch aside, is it just the one number you want to be reachable from? Could you just stick your phone on silent with vibrate turned on for that one number?

My sister has a withings smart watch and she loves it, but she's forever looking at the thing on a night out. If you didn't know she was checking her messages on it you'd think she was constantly looking at the time. You might just be replacing looking at one thing with another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement