Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-06-2016, 23:45   #3091
Sunny Dayz
Registered User
 
Sunny Dayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,566
I cannot believe it! I have literally worn the ar$e out of a pair of jeans! I've had a pair of Awear jeans for many years, totally not in fashion, flared, so comfy, short length so I can wear them with trainers, flats, flip flops, flat boots in winter, timberland style boots when at rallies. Ends of them worn away from being dragged on the ground. Have gotten so many compliments on them over the years, they fit me so well.

Turns out I have literally worn them to death! And Awear is gone!!
Sunny Dayz is offline  
Advertisement
14-06-2016, 22:55   #3092
sammyjo90
Registered User
 
sammyjo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9,722
I used to live in Awear jeans. Wore them away at the thighs many a time (not a good sign for my legs )
I feel your pain sunny
sammyjo90 is offline  
08-11-2016, 17:30   #3093
KKV
Registered User
 
KKV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,634
Send a message via MSN to KKV
Folks, i was just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used shirtbyhand.ie?


I was mooching around looking for a place to buy shirts online, and was searching boards. Seen someone shilling the above site (rarely a good sign, admittedly), but flicked onto the website, and aside from questionable image rights/usage, it seems a decent service (if it is, indeed, trustyworthy).

Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or used them?


I'm looking to get a couple of decent shirts to replace Tesco's Finest that I've outgrown. But I find that I have two shirts I like. One is branded Benetti and is a 16.5" neck. The other is branded White Label and is a 17.5" neck. Both fit reasonably well. Because of this, I don't want to splash a load of cash online, and get a few shirts I can't wear (same applies to retail stores - I was in Dublin today and took a wander around a fair few stores, from Debenhams, Dunnes, Penneys, etc. and although I was on the verge of buying a few in Debenhams, I found that because the price point was relatively high at €40-60 per shirt, i thought it was too risky to spend that and have nothing fit. (And unfortunately, having shirts open, to try on, doesn't seem to be the done thing, even though every company seems to measure the same distance differently).


Anyone any advice?
(for what it's worth, the White Label shirt is good. Great material, etc. but can't seem to find them online).
KKV is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2017, 19:01   #3094
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 8,402
I don't. do. girl. clothes.
Wish I did! They don't feel right or look right on me 'n I can't wear them properly.
The shapes, fabric, and designs are just not my thing.
This is a source of great frustration for me and my (extremely popular and fashionable) bff when we shop together.
Wish my style (or lack thereof) was more acceptable... to everyone.
Just venting here, sorry.
B00! is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2017, 19:13   #3095
baby and crumble
Registered User
 
baby and crumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
Folks, i was just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used shirtbyhand.ie?
Just saw this now- I've recently bought 2 shirts (another on order!) and I'm VERY happy with them. Laurence who does the measuring etc) is great, knows what he's at, and is very professional.

My first shirt had to go back to be refitted, but I don't have an issue with that- something bespoke is unlikely to fit perfect immediately, and it just needed a bit of tweaking.

The only issue I have is that some of the stitching on one of the buttonholes on one of my shirts has unravelled a little, but it's not noticeable, and doesn't effect the shirt quality.

But for €69 delivered, it's perfect. As a woman who likes more masculine style, trying to find a shirt that had the collar and cuffs I like, but with the ability to fit both my boobs and my neck properly (if it fit across the chest, the neck would gape HORRIBLY) was really difficult.
baby and crumble is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2017, 19:17   #3096
baby and crumble
Registered User
 
baby and crumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00! View Post
I don't. do. girl. clothes.
Wish I did! They don't feel right or look right on me 'n I can't wear them properly.
The shapes, fabric, and designs are just not my thing.
This is a source of great frustration for me and my (extremely popular and fashionable) bff when we shop together.
Wish my style (or lack thereof) was more acceptable... to everyone.
Just venting here, sorry.
TBH I used to feel exactly like you and now I just brush off the weird looks. Especially since I tend to dress better than a lot of guys wearing menswear. Not saying I'm brilliant or anything, but at 35 I'm confident enough.

Have you checked out DapperQ and other blogs for women in menswear inspiration? Instagram (check the #DapperQ tag) will be your friend- there's LOADS of us out there.
baby and crumble is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2017, 20:10   #3097
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby and crumble View Post
TBH I used to feel exactly like you and now I just brush off the weird looks. Especially since I tend to dress better than a lot of guys wearing menswear. Not saying I'm brilliant or anything, but at 35 I'm confident enough.

Have you checked out DapperQ and other blogs for women in menswear inspiration? Instagram (check the #DapperQ tag) will be your friend- there's LOADS of us out there.
Thanks b&c, just hate it when people important to me look at me with judgement. I try to fit in, but I can't seem to pull off the look well enough (and it feels wrong.)

I have only checked out your pinterest posts (and drooled), so thanks, will check out the blogs for sure! Really loads? (yay! oh yay!) ...in my world, I seem to be the only one
B00! is offline  
Thanks from:
11-06-2017, 13:22   #3098
Michellenman
Registered User
 
Michellenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,229
I have the skirt in the below pic that I want to wear to a wedding in July. I bought it last year and I wore it to a wedding with a top similar to the pic and loved it but over all it was a more casual look than I'd normally go for at weddings. This wedding is gonna be more dressy than that one so I need a different top to wear with it but I'm totally stumped as to what style to wear. I think I like the idea of a Bardot style top but I always feel they can be quite restrictve around shoulders and arms.

I'm 5ft nothing, size 10 and can look very busty in low cut tops so would like to avoid deep cuts.



Has anyone seen anything that might look well with it? I'm quite short between my bust and hips so blazers don't really sit well on me and I'm not concerned with getting a top that suits a jacket or anything.

When looking last time for a top I couldn't find any other colour other than white that went well with it so if anyone has a recommendations for alternative colours for the top too that would be amazing!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_7831.PNG (295.2 KB, 369 views)
Michellenman is offline  
04-10-2018, 17:40   #3099
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,145
Is anyone else fed up of all the Harry Potter and Disney stuff that's in Penneys at the moment? Clothes, nightwear, homewear, accessories. Seems to be impossible to get any thing else in there at the moment.
Either that or I'm getting too old for Penneys?!
RhubarbCrumble is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-10-2018, 20:09   #3100
Sunny Dayz
Registered User
 
Sunny Dayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhubarbCrumble View Post
Is anyone else fed up of all the Harry Potter and Disney stuff that's in Penneys at the moment? Clothes, nightwear, homewear, accessories. Seems to be impossible to get any thing else in there at the moment.
Either that or I'm getting too old for Penneys?!
No I agree. I don’t get the obsession with Harry Potter - I would have gone to the cinema to see the films but that was years ago. The Disney stuff is fine in the kiddies section but in the adults? Think I’m a bit long in the tooth for it. I’ve found my local Penneys to have gotten quite poor this last few months. Before I could leave without dropping at least €50, now I walk out with nothing, it’s very meh. You see nice things on Instagram and on bloggers instastories from Mary St and Liffey Valley but the stock is not appearing down the country and if it does, they get a very small amount in.
Sunny Dayz is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-10-2018, 20:13   #3101
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Dayz View Post
No I agree. I don’t get the obsession with Harry Potter - I would have gone to the cinema to see the films but that was years ago. The Disney stuff is fine in the kiddies section but in the adults? Think I’m a bit long in the tooth for it. I’ve found my local Penneys to have gotten quite poor this last few months. Before I could leave without dropping at least €50, now I walk out with nothing, it’s very meh. You see nice things on Instagram and on bloggers instastories from Mary St and Liffey Valley but the stock is not appearing down the country and if it does, they get a very small amount in.

Absolutely agree. I'm in Limerick and both stores here really seem to have gone downhill. I go down to Kerry a good bit and both stores there are much better. Tralee in particular is a good store.

But yeah, the Disney stuff is doing nothing for me. To be honest I find it a bit strange when grown adults have a Disney obsession (I have a 40 year friend like this)
RhubarbCrumble is offline  
Thanks from:
05-10-2018, 20:00   #3102
The Cool
Registered User
 
The Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,015
As a big Harry Potter fan, I have to say - I'm sick to death of it as well!! It was such a novelty when they first started stocking it but that must have been 2 years ago, it's so overdone now, hate it! At least with the Disney stuff, they do cycles of different movies, so it's not all the same, but everyone's well tired of the Harry Potter stuff now.

I've found the stores getting to be shocking with their stock, you'll see something nice on Instagram and be waiting for it in the store, it'll come into stock one week, get sold out and then you'll never see it in store again.
The latest thing I've noticed is, they pick random sizes of items to stock, and only those sizes. Don't know how many times I've seen something I liked, and on the rail there's 10 x size 10s and 10 x size 12s and nothing else, ever. Liffey Valley is terrible for it. Went to Blanch a month ago looking for PJs for the colder weather and I swear, every long PJ bottom in stock, there were 20 x size XS on the rail and nothing else.
I find their clothes have gone way downhill, and they don't make bigger sized clothing well at all. I would have only really gone in there for PJs but seems I'm wasting my time now going near the place!
The Cool is offline  
Thanks from:
06-10-2018, 11:09   #3103
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
I’m have a sneaking suspicion that I’m starting to get too old for high street fashion, in some ways. I find myself seeing more and more items and thinking “Who would wear that” or “I’m definitely too old for that!”.

I have no interest in wearing clothing or accessories that are basically merchandise for something else, so I’d totally skip past any Disney or Harry Potter items. I’m now thinking more about clothes (and shoes) that are good quality and will last a long time, and ideally aren’t made by slave labour. But my budget only goes so far at the same time!
Faith is offline  
(4) thanks from:
06-10-2018, 12:43   #3104
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
I’m have a sneaking suspicion that I’m starting to get too old for high street fashion, in some ways. I find myself seeing more and more items and thinking “Who would wear that” or “I’m definitely too old for that!”.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are Faith? I'm late thirties, am wondering if it's just me!
RhubarbCrumble is offline  
06-10-2018, 15:58   #3105
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhubarbCrumble View Post
Do you mind if I ask how old you are Faith? I'm late thirties, am wondering if it's just me!
I’m 31, so it’s definitely not too early for you to be feeling it!
Faith is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet