Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-01-2020, 13:35   #16
jarvis
Registered User
 
jarvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,255
Completely off topic so please forgive me. I was prompted by the comment about not knowing our whole life.

Anyway my 13 year old daughter told me something the other day that I’ve made it to 43 without knowing.

She said cigarettes are called that because they’re little cigars. Cigar-ette

Mind blown!! Haha
jarvis is online now  
Advertisement
14-01-2020, 13:37   #17
eviltimeban
Registered User
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
Completely off topic so please forgive me. I was prompted by the comment about not knowing our whole life.

Anyway my 13 year old daughter told me something the other day that I’ve made it to 43 without knowing.

She said cigarettes are called that because they’re little cigars. Cigar-ette

Mind blown!! Haha
From the French. Just like vinegarette. Or rosette. Kitchenette. Etc.
eviltimeban is offline  
14-01-2020, 13:39   #18
eviltimeban
Registered User
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
Also I never have and never will wear a garment under a shirt. Good etiquette or not I just think it looks silly.
Indeed. It's not good etiquette. Never has been, never will be.
eviltimeban is offline  
14-01-2020, 13:42   #19
ahnowbrowncow
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
I think you'll find that proper etiquette stipulates that you should.

Have I just given you that moment where you realised you've been something wrong your whole life?
Some might like their nipples and chiselled, sweaty physique on show as the lesser men cower in fear hoping their under shirt covers their inadequacies.
ahnowbrowncow is offline  
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 14:05   #20
Tickers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
Thanks all. Except the ‘why did you get a tattoo brigade’. I also got a c0ck ring but I won’t be waving it around the work canteen. ��������.

Anyway I’m a groomsman and the groom has unfortunately decided against a waistcoat which would have been ideal because I love a smart waistcoat.

Twill shirt is probably the info I need so I’ll chase one of those down. Also I never have and never will wear a garment under a shirt. Good etiquette or not I just think it looks silly.
It doesn't look silly because it's an undershirt and it's white, what does look silly is your chest hair and nipples sticking out of your shirt or people being able to see your tattoo through the shirt which is the reason you posted here in the first place. Do you wear underwear or do you go commando on that also? It's the same concept and you can always tell someone who is not used to wearing a suit regularly if they don't wear an undershirt. It makes you look like a novice because people can can see your skin through the fabric or if your nipples are sticking out. You also protect your shirt from the sweat stains under your arms. It's a classic beginners mistake and in Ireland we are terrible for it because we have very little sense of fashion and what is appropriate to wear at different occasions and different times of the year.
Tickers is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2020, 14:07   #21
jarvis
Registered User
 
jarvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
Do you wear underwear or do you go commando on that also? It's the same concept and you can always tell someone who is not used to wearing a suit regularly if they don't wear an undershirt. It makes you look like a novice because people can can see your skin through the fabric or if your nipples are sticking out. You also protect your shirt from the sweat stains under your arms. It's a classic beginners mistake and in Ireland we are terrible for it because we have very little sense of fashion and what is appropriate to wear at different occasions and different times of the year.
Yes I wear underwear. Are you coming on to me?
jarvis is online now  
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 14:10   #22
Tickers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
Yes I wear underwear. Are you coming on to me?
Get a brooks brothers shirt.
Tickers is offline  
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 14:12   #23
realdanbreen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
I use the tattoo as a gauge.

To gauge what?
realdanbreen is offline  
14-01-2020, 14:12   #24
Fireball81
Registered User
 
Fireball81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 371
Try some white shirts in store at TK Maxx, unlike some other shops they have plenty of different brands and thickness etc.
Fireball81 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2020, 14:13   #25
jarvis
Registered User
 
jarvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
To gauge what?
How see through the shirt will be.
jarvis is online now  
14-01-2020, 14:15   #26
Tickers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball81 View Post
Try some white shirts in TK Maxx, unlike some other shops they have plenty of different brands and thickness etc.

Depending on where the tattoo is, would a waistcoat help? M&S do cheap ones and I'm sure TK Maxx do too.
Forget the bargain basement TK Maxx. Every man should have a classic good quality white shirt in his wardrobe, it's worth the spend and you can use it for so many outfits and occasions.
Tickers is offline  
14-01-2020, 14:17   #27
Tickers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,399
and please don't be like those knuckle draggers who untie their bow/tie and take off their suit jacket towards the end of the night.
Tickers is offline  
14-01-2020, 14:23   #28
realdanbreen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
and please don't be like those knuckle draggers who untie their bow/tie and take off their suit jacket towards the end of the night.

Hear hear! Regardless of whether you are ready to pass out with the heat and the sweat is drippin off you keep on the jacket and the tie. I mean what if someone saw you on Instagram looking natural !
realdanbreen is offline  
Thanks from:
14-01-2020, 14:26   #29
Tickers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
Hear hear! Regardless of whether you are ready to pass out with the heat and the sweat is drippin off you keep on the jacket and the tie. I mean what if someone saw you on Instagram looking natural !
Using that rationale, why would you even go to a wedding in a suit in the first place? Why go to a wedding or a black tie event only to remove your suit after you get there?
Tickers is offline  
14-01-2020, 14:27   #30
realdanbreen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
How see through the shirt will be.
Still can't figure out why you went to the bother & expense of getting a tattoo that nobody, including yourself, can see.
realdanbreen is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search