Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs outdoor from June 7th.

• 28-05-2021 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭

I saw O'Donoghues, Merrion Row announcing that they will be open from June 7th. Anyone know of other city centre places that will be open then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

finbarrk wrote: »
    I saw O'Donoghues, Merrion Row announcing that they will be open from June 7th. Anyone know of other city centre places that will be open then?

Cheers for the heads up. Would be good to turn this thread into a guide to outdoor drinking in Dublin :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread could get very long, most places that haven't explicitly closed down will probably be open, unless they really have zero outdoor space which is rare.

I know Toners have extended their outdoor area and are taking bookings. Checked one of my favourite smaller places - Bleecker Street on Dorset Street - and they're saying they'll be open.

Going on my Instagram feed, these have also recently mentioned reopening on the 7th, but I don't follow every pub nor does every pub use Instagram:

Hedigans/Brian Boru
    Merrion Inn
    Darkey Kellys
    The Waterloo
    Johns Bar (Thomas Street)
    Keelings (Donabate)
    Smyths (Haddington Road)
    O'Donoghues
    Grogans
    Murrays (O'Connell Street)
    Tolka House
    Luckys
    Manor Inn (Swords)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Do you have to have a table booked or how does it work?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No requirement for bookings but most smaller/busier pubs are doing it.

so is it like last time where you needed to be seated? or will it just be a free for all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

so is it like last time where you needed to be seated? or will it just be a free for all?

Table service only in the guidelines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully there's no set of rules that needs actuarial support to figure out how to have a feed of pints of an evening.

Just because these may get asked too:

No legal requirement to buy food of any value (in a pub - restaurants can't sell alcohol without food except potentially wine depending on licence, but that's always been the case).

No legislative time limit outdoors. Realistically the indoor time limit from July is not going to be applicable in larger pubs either as it will, as it did last year, not apply if tables are >2m apart. My local's the size of a barn which is handy :D

Venues can put on their own time limits if they want and many are.

No cap on how many people can be in a group outdoors - its 6 for indoors when that starts.

Cobblestone and Gasworks have come up on my Instagram as both open from the 7th and only doing walk-ins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

L1011 wrote: »
    Just because these may get asked too:

No legal requirement to buy food of any value (in a pub - restaurants can't sell alcohol without food except potentially wine depending on licence, but that's always been the case).

No legislative time limit outdoors. Realistically the indoor time limit from July is not going to be applicable in larger pubs either as it will, as it did last year, not apply if tables are >2m apart. My local's the size of a barn which is handy :D

Venues can put on their own time limits if they want and many are.

No cap on how many people can be in a group outdoors - its 6 for indoors when that starts.

Cobblestone and Gasworks have come up on my Instagram as both open from the 7th and only doing walk-ins

Don't think that's true, it's the same table numbers as indoors but you're not limited to 15 customers max outdoors.

After seeing the state of the city centre today from last night's revellers, the streets are going to be seriously trashed at the weekends with everything being outside. They really need a campaign to encourage people to dispose of their rubbish responsibly, because alongside more pubs serving drinks, crowds will still be gathering with their own food and drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

They really need a campaign to encourage people to dispose of their rubbish responsibly, because alongside more pubs serving drinks, crowds will still be gathering with their own food and drink.

People are just selfish. The only way I see any way of countering it is to charge a deposit for plastic pint glasses. You'll soon find everyone bringing them back to the pub to get their refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Anyone got ideas of pubs that might have TVs for the Euros? Murrays is the only one i can think of but bound to be packed

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

B2021M wrote: »
    Anyone got ideas of pubs that might have TVs for the Euros? Murrays is the only one i can think of but bound to be packed

The Gassworks

There's no hard ban on it but showing sports is being discouraged. Sound will more than likely be off, albeit with the commentators these days that may not be a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

After seeing the state of the city centre today from last night's revellers, the streets are going to be seriously trashed at the weekends with everything being outside. They really need a campaign to encourage people to dispose of their rubbish responsibly, because alongside more pubs serving drinks, crowds will still be gathering with their own food and drink.

Some bins to go with that campaign might work. The littering happened in tandem with full-up bins in Dublin city centre.

Same again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Oscars in Smithfield look to have a pretty whopper outdoor setup

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

There's no hard ban on it but showing sports is being discouraged. Sound will more than likely be off, albeit with the commentators these days that may not be a bad thing!

Yes haha! Id forgotten about sport being discouraged. A real pity as those tournaments are great for atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Was a load of rubbish if you'll pardon the pun but at least with pubs open, albeit outdoors, pint glasses will be collected and toilets will be open. The last few months I've met 2 mates in a City Centre park and we've drank, though pouring into flasks, but there's been no disrespect from anyone else there, no rubbish, and there's a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Pretty mental at the same time; it will encourage people to home-drink if they can't go to the pub to watch a big international match (e.g. with no sound or no big projector screen). I didn't actually realise that and we had booked in to a beer garden at the end of June which we will have to reconsider if that is the case.

Inevitably, and justifiably, the publicans will be arguing for extended supports come the autumn when the summer doesn't develop as well as hoped due to OTT continued restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

6 Dublin venues listed as opening in June:

https://mailchi.mp/thetaste/magazine-566417-570940?e=8d55be5da8

• Advertisement

That's six Mercantile venues, who likely paid to have the mail sent out; rather than any specific listing!

Basically I've only seen a handful of places say they're *not* opening yet. Lowes in Dolphins Barn is the only one I can remember and that's just a wait-and-see delay - not sure they have a lot of outdoor space.

There's still a fair few places that haven't said either way; and some places that have no social media presence or I don't follow them. But you're unlikely to be stuck to find somewhere at least off-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ChampagneFever

Harry Byrnes in clontarf are taking online bookings for next week from 6pm tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Luckys on Meath st appear to be waiting til July to re-open, appear to be directing people to their sister bar in Rialto for booking for June.
    Peadar Browns has got a fresh coat of point out the side, think they are setting up more tables outside for opening soon.
    Fallons will have outside seats setup for June, Kacanaghs looking to keep doing takeaway pints.
    57 Headline have turned into a shop, but are opening some outdoor seating in June.
    No sign of the Tenters, Leonards Corner, Harold House reopening soon.

The hotel the Tenters is in is showing blocked out til July 1st.

Luckys are opening for outdoor on the 7th; they've just been pushing the July indoor bookings hard recently

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Thomas House is gonna open.

Woohoo.

I don't think I'll rock up demanding my pre-paid for pints from the gofundme right away :pac: (if I even get one at some stage in the medium term that'll be enough; and that would be after paying there and then for a few too)

Underdog are not opening immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Harry Byrnes opening and fully booked. No take-away pints this weekend as they are too busy getting ready according to social media. Superb pizza up there.

Wish they would organise something in Dublin like this

600 people sorted outdoors. Unique and cool music.

https://www.escapetofreightisland.com/whats-on

The first trial outdoor music event is this day week. UK is some weeks ahead of us in vaccine rollout (although we're catching them) hence more scope for events like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Harcourt Bar (formerly Dtwo Garden) is opening from 7th and has been done up.

Camden Court and Harry Byrnes both look to have created decent outdoor setups too in anticipation.

Haven't seen anything from the other places on Harcourt Street other than The Dean and Iveagh Garden Hotel opening for room bookings.

Advertisement