Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favorite Distro?

13»

Comments

Linux Mint for me. Whee to get a DVD image..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

xieann wrote: »
    Linux Mint for me. Whee to get a DVD image..

Installed Mint 20 Cinnamon on my main PC. It's pretty great.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Running Fedora 32 on my Thinkpad at the moment and it's pretty nifty. The GNOME desktop environment has come along way in terms of speed and responsiveness.

It helps that Red Hat QA staff use Thinkpads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

denartha wrote: »
    It helps that Red Hat QA staff use Thinkpads ;)

But most Fedora QA are not in RH :D

limnam wrote: »
    But most Fedora QA are not in RH :D

A lot of them are. Plus most employees use the latest Fedora release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In RH? Using Fedora?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    In RH? Using Fedora?

Sure, why not?

I'd say the minority.

The vast majority of Fedora QA is carried out by people all over the world.

A small few are on the books in RH, like adamw.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    In RH? Using Fedora?

Yes. RHEL 6 is based on Fedora 12 and 13 with a few modifications. More information here: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/fedora-and-red-hat-enterprise-linux/

The vast majority of Fedora QA is carried out by people all over the world.

A small few are on the books in RH, like adamw.

I wasn't denying that most QA for Fedora is done by contributors from all over the world. I was saying that Red Hat QA staff use thinkspads and before a new Fedora release is published for download on the site, RH QA do smoke tests on it. It's then published internally for RH staff to test. If no shoiwstoppers are found, its status changes from Release Candidate to RTM and gets published for global consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Ubuntu has everything I need looks great in Dark mode..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Mint

I've rescued countless laptops with it for both myself and wider friends and family

it's very intuitive for a person migrating fresh from Windows and no real learning curve for people who just want to browse or watch streaming content etc

Mint

I've rescued countless laptops with it for both myself and wider friends and family

it's very intuitive for a person migrating fresh from Windows and no real learning curve for people who just want to browse or watch streaming content etc

Mint is a fantastic project. I'm running that on my main PC. Running Elementary on the device I'm using right now (MacBook Pro from 2012) and it's pretty great. I've always ignored this distro but when you put a bit of extra work into it (add the third party Tweaks tool for example) it's really nice and extremely stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

Arch and manjaro (arch-based) . Loaded Manjaro for the integrated team client some years back. Havent had any issues with either once updates are performed regularly

Now moved to Fedora on my main PC/gaming rig. It seems that the open source AMD graphics drivers are fairly solid now - getting good performance across my games, including the likes of World of Warcraft (running through Lutris) using an RX 580. Fedora is such a solid distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

switched the main pc from peppermint to xubuntu because of some recurring update issues i had, its working really nice and changed the desktop layout a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I'll start: Debian Stable.

Despite the packages becoming somewhat outdated - this isn't too much of an issue anymore with the availability of AppImages, Flatpak, & Snaps. The Debian Backports are also great for getting a more recent kernel, etc.
    I was on Ubuntu/Linux Mint for years, then jumped to Debian a few years ago.

��

I'm using Debian Sid (unstable) which is pretty nice. It means that I get the latest packages without having to wait, and my system still remains pretty stable.

I really like the XFCE desktop also with a bit of customisation it is pretty nice.

LMDE is a nice option for people that like Debian Stable with an updated desktop environment. It's the brand of Linux Mint based on Debian. I used it for a bit and it was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Still using PCLinuxOS ........ continues to roll on.

I mostly use KDE but have the option on log in to use MATE or other DEs (depending on what I have installed) as well as several WMs.

That provides UI versatility for my mood changes :D

I use Debian stable on all my systems at home. All are on stable.

Still using PCLinuxOS ........ continues to roll on.

I mostly use KDE but have the option on log in to use MATE or other DEs (depending on what I have installed) as well as several WMs.

That provides UI versatility for my mood changes :D

Big fan of that project :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

I use Debian stable on all my systems at home. All are on stable.

Same here! :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Long-time Mint Mate user here, currently using 20.1, which is based on Ubuntu 20.4 LTS.

I've recently been testing a range of "lightweight" distros, with a view to making some of my older systems* more usable. Ventoy (https://www.ventoy.net/) is the best utility I've seen yet for being able to boot from a menu of ISO files on a USB pen drive.

*If that makes it sound like I have quite a few PCs of various shapes and sizes, well, it's because I do. Why throw out old hardware when you can run an up-to-date and secure version of Linux on it? My oldest PC is a 2008 Acer laptop.

Most of the other distros I've tested are also based on Ubuntu/Debian: LXLE, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint Xfce, MX (standard Xfce spin) and MX (KDE version), These are all fit for purpose, some using less resources than others. By far the most lightweight and responsive distro I tested was AntiX, on which MX is partly based.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

klr87 wrote: »
    Long-time Mint Mate user here, currently using 20.1, which is based on Ubuntu 20.4 LTS.

I've recently been testing a range of "lightweight" distros, with a view to making some of my older systems* more usable. Ventoy (https://www.ventoy.net/) is the best utility I've seen yet for being able to boot from a menu of ISO files on a USB pen drive.

*If that makes it sound like I have quite a few PCs of various shapes and sizes, well, it's because I do. Why throw out old hardware when you can run an up-to-date and secure version of Linux on it? My oldest PC is a 2008 Acer laptop.

Most of the other distros I've tested are also based on Ubuntu/Debian: LXLE, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint Xfce, MX (standard Xfce spin) and MX (KDE version), These are all fit for purpose, some using less resources than others. By far the most lightweight and responsive distro I tested was AntiX, on which MX is partly based.

Hi klr87.

I too am a fan on the MATE desktop environment. I was on Linux Mint (MATE) for a number of years but moved to Debian a few years ago - still with MATE on my main PC. I too have a 2008 Acer laptop - works fine with Debian+LXDE. My oldest PC is a 2003 Desktop. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I really like the XFCE desktop also with a bit of customisation it is pretty nice.
    xfce helped me stay on Linux years ago with gnome tweaking makes even older computers workable.

Been using Solus on my main PC for the last couple of weeks with the Budgie desktop that they develop themselves, after being on Fedora for the past year. Really solid, fast distro. Enjoying it a lot!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Been using Solus on my main PC for the last couple of weeks with the Budgie desktop that they develop themselves, after being on Fedora for the past year. Really solid, fast distro. Enjoying it a lot!

I love Fedora. Maybe it's just the machines I've hosted it on in a VM, but it's a bit resource hungry. On it's own, it's great.

I tried MX Linux in a VM and it's great.

Advertisement