Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a new Mac? Drop in and say hello

• 05-11-2016 2:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ve been tidying up the stickies and added a new charter and I thought it might be a good idea if we had a thread where new (and old) users could introduce themselves and share their excitement at getting a new Mac. Of course, if you have any questions or issues you should also start a new thread, but this might be a good place to start if you are new to the forum.

So welcome and get talking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

got my new Mac...1st time user.. Love it

Its a 13 inch pro. early 2015. 256 SSD 8GB i5

Quick query. Does anyone know if compub add in additional drives, id like to upgrade to 256GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

got my new Mac...1st time user.. Love it

Its a 13 inch pro. early 2015. 256 SSD 8GB i5

Quick query. Does anyone know if compub add in additional drives, id like to upgrade to 256GB

Just got almost the same one yesterday. Early 2015 Pro but with a 128GB SSD.

I'm a little confused by your question? Is it an additional 256GB SSD your looking for? As I have a 128GB I'm thinking I might need additional space or even a backup solution for using Time
    Machine (look it up if your not familiar with it, and use it) myself.

I might take advantage of the SD card slot for additional space. Have a look into Nifty drives. Really cheap on Amazon and so are the micro sd cards. Works out as about 65 Sterling for both and it adds and additional 128GB overall.

Other than that as far as I know the SSD's aren't upgradable.

Hi Dub, dont want to detail the thread, but apparently iSlice is a better drive, with Nifty it requires a tool to remove, so if you lose it you might get stuck.

But this one seems pretty neat, going to order this with a 256GB micro SD and that will be me set for time machine and "Other Stuff"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6tbPqcdqg

Hi Dub, dont want to detail the thread, but apparently iSlice is a better drive, with Nifty it requires a tool to remove, so if you lose it you might get stuck.

But this one seems pretty neat, going to order this with a 256GB micro SD and that will be me set for time machine and "Other Stuff"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6tbPqcdqg

I'd seen those but they looked cheaper compared to nifty drives. I know the nifty only supports 200GB though so it does lose out there. Just a few bad reviews of similar on Amazon saying they jammed in the port etc.

For your new Mac one thing i'd suggest doing is turning off the optimise storage and the iCloud option to automatically move files to the cloud. A few horror stories of people having issues due to this.

should have the islice and scan 200gb one tomorrow, will let you know what they're like. That will give me close to 500GB which will be fine for a good few years to come.

Most of my utility is programming/movies and I don't tend to keep what I watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well after a great deal of dithering, I got a new 12-inch MacBook. My first new Mac in over 5 years.

Loving the Retina display, which is a big upgrade over the fairly poor quality screen in my old 11-inch Air. And the battery life is heaven compared to the 3 hours at minimum brightness that I was getting.

I was worried about the keyboard, but I actually really like it. It’s surprisingly clicky, maybe too much so, but I never liked how soft the old keyboards were. I hate the arrow keys, though.

I was going to buy a new sleeve, but it turns out with a bit of padding it fits almost perfectly in my old 11-inch sleeve which is nice.

The 12-inch MacBook feels like a perfecting of the Air design, which I always loved in theory but felt Apple never really got it right. The 11-inch was too small and had an awkward aspect ratio, the 13-inch was too similar to the MBP. Then it got left behind on Retina and it seemed like Apple forgot the raison d'etre of the Air and turned it into a budget laptop. It took long time to get here, but I think the 12-inch MacBook is what Apple always wanted the Air to be.

It remains to be seen how it will hold up performance wise, but I’ve no complaints so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

It took long time to get here, but I think the 12-inch MacBook is what Apple always wanted the Air to be.

Yeah, the naming of the Air no longer make sense. Is the lack of ports annoying ?

Well after a great deal of dithering, I got a new 12-inch MacBook. My first new Mac in over 5 years.

Loving the Retina display, which is a big upgrade over the fairly poor quality screen in my old 11-inch Air. And the battery life is heaven compared to the 3 hours at minimum brightness that I was getting.

I was worried about the keyboard, but I actually really like it. It’s surprisingly clicky, maybe too much so, but I never liked how soft the old keyboards were. I hate the arrow keys, though.

I was going to buy a new sleeve, but it turns out with a bit of padding it fits almost perfectly in my old 11-inch sleeve which is nice.

The 12-inch MacBook feels like a perfecting of the Air design, which I always loved in theory but felt Apple never really got it right. The 11-inch was too small and had an awkward aspect ratio, the 13-inch was too similar to the MBP. Then it got left behind on Retina and it seemed like Apple forgot the raison d'etre of the Air and turned it into a budget laptop. It took long time to get here, but I think the 12-inch MacBook is what Apple always wanted the Air to be.

It remains to be seen how it will hold up performance wise, but I’ve no complaints so far.

Will it just be used as a home device for browsing and the usual apps? Performance was something that discouraged me a little. And then screen size was second. Coming from an 11" for you wouldn't be an issue. I've only had 15.4" and now 14" so it's difficult dropping so low on the size.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

maximum12 wrote: »
    Yeah, the naming of the Air no longer make sense. Is the lack of ports annoying ?

Ask me in a few weeks. :D

It probably won't be a major issue as its replacing an Air that was basically a secondary Mac for me and which I rarely connected to anything except my camera. I have other, older Macs with multiple ports to fall back on if I have to. And the battery life is good enough that I won't need to be connected to power all of the time.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Will it just be used as a home device for browsing and the usual apps? Performance was something that discouraged me a little. And then screen size was second. Coming from an 11" for you wouldn't be an issue. I've only had 15.4" and now 14" so it's difficult dropping so low on the size.

It's replacing an Air and an iPad, but it will be my primary Mac as my MBP is too old for anything but being a media centre. I'll be doing photo work and a bit of video but mostly writing. I have doubts about the performance as well and I don't expect to get more than 2 or 3 years out of it. If performance becomes an issue before then I might look into an iMac or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Im sitting here waiting for UPS to arrive with my new 27" iMac.

I had meant to get it earlier in the year but had a bit of building work to do on the house which delayed everything. I went for the mid model with the fusion drive and availed of the black Friday sale to get a €150 voucher.

Its my first Mac but having had an iPad and a couple of iPhones see the benefits of their interoperability plus, after 26 years of Windows its time for a change.

Now have to decide on what to spend the voucher :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It's replacing an Air and an iPad, but it will be my primary Mac as my MBP is too old for anything but being a media centre. I'll be doing photo work and a bit of video but mostly writing. I have doubts about the performance as well and I don't expect to get more than 2 or 3 years out of it. If performance becomes an issue before then I might look into an iMac or something.

Well Sad Professor, how do you find the MacBook after a few months usage? Do you find the lack of ports an issue?
    I want to replace my MBA and I think the MacBook is the best option for me, but would't mind getting some feedback from a current user.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Well Sad Professor, how do you find the MacBook after a few months usage? Do you find the lack of ports an issue?
    I want to replace my MBA and I think the MacBook is the best option for me, but would't mind getting some feedback from a current user.

No problems with the lack of ports, but I don’t do a lot of connecting bar for photos. Battery life is good, performance is fine for every day usage and photos, as is the keyboard once you get used to it, and I love the design.

However I have occasionally encountered graphical glitches. Not sure if it is due to underpowered GPU or driver problems that will be fixed in future update. Probably a bit of both. Minor issue so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

No problems with the lack of ports, but I don’t do a lot of connecting bar for photos. Battery life is good, performance is fine for every day usage and photos, as is the keyboard once you get used to it, and I love the design.

However I have occasionally encountered graphical glitches. Not sure if it is due to underpowered GPU or driver problems that will be fixed in future update. Probably a bit of both. Minor issue so far.

Not the first time I have heard this regarding the performance, I think it may be due a possible spec bump in March/April so I may hold of until around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just got my second MacBook ... a 12” refurb from Apple, which will be main work machine. Love the retina and clicky keyboard.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

My order this week:

MacBook Pro 13"
    2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    1TB SSD storage

...now the wait begins for it to get here.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

mike_ie wrote: »
    My order this week:

MacBook Pro 13"
    2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    1TB SSD storage

...now the wait begins for it to get here.

So it arrived over the weekend (living in Myanmar, so bought in Hong Kong and delivered by a 3rd party).

Lq5Wzycl.jpg

So far am very impressed with it. I had some initial concerns as to whether I'd adjust to the butterfly keyboard, but after just two days, it feels very odd and clunky when I have to switch back to the older Mac to type on it. Screen is crisp, and while I wouldn't describe the Touch Bar as having changed my user experience, it's not as gimmicky as I thought it would be either. Though with many apps, it does seem to be very superfluous.

I tend to hold on to my machines for quite a while, so if you do feel like you'll need the extra memory/HD space or processing power, I'd suggest not second guessing yourself and just go for the extras. You'll appreciate it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭ffocused

Got my 2019 Macbook Air delivered today, ordered it on Tuesday with a free set of Beats Studio 3 from education store.

Time to pass my trusty late 2013 Macbook Pro on to a new user and hope i don't regret it if the keyboard acts up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Macbook 12" selling for £749 in Dixons heathrow. A nice hefty discount for a great machine.

Planning on upgrading to the entry 2019 MacBook Pro in the next few weeks too. The addition of the free headphones makes it only a little too expensive rather than ridiculously over priced.

If Apple offered 256GB as the base storage option at the current prices I think they would be back to normal pricing again after years of constant price hikes.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Planning on upgrading to the entry 2019 MacBook Pro in the next few weeks too. The addition of the free headphones makes it only a little too expensive rather than ridiculously over priced.

If Apple offered 256GB as the base storage option at the current prices I think they would be back to normal pricing again after years of constant price hikes.

I wish Apple included the Mac Mini in the free Beats promotion. I'm currently weighing up whether to get a Mini or an iMac and it would make the choice a bit easier.

• Testing out my new i7 Mac mini 16GB ram 1 TB SSD with Sonnet eGPU at the moment.

This needs to be updated to OS X Catalina as of yet.
    My cheapskate LG 1931 tv serves very well as monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just got the 13 inch MacBook Pro 2020. Grown on me in the past 21 hours of ownership. Previously 2018 Mac mini. I recently purchased an Alienware Area 51m that's a nightmare to carry around. I don't game on the go so a MacBook Pro is more than ideal for use on the train etc

Touch Bar isn't something that I'd envisage myself using, but I can see its practicality for writers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I was in art college in 1988 - we had one mac for the entire college. We were allowed to look but not to touch!

The first Mac I bought for myself is a 2006 MacBook Pro - 17 inch with extra ram. it still works fine - its my grandmothership. It runs on Tiger so its not fit for the internet but I have the full creative suite from Adobe on it. The battery is long gone so I have to use it plugged in.

Otherwise I have a 2016 IMac for day to day internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

Not a new Mac User by any stretch. My first Mac was a PowerPC followed by an iMacDV (CRT type)!

Since then, I've avidly used Macs apart from a short foray into the world of PC Laptops (Sony then an HP) but never got on with all the fussing around keeping them working, blue screens of death and constant updates taking all my (costly) bandwidth.

I bought a 2009 MacBook Pro that I updated to 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. That one got passed through the family before being retired only 6 months ago due to a sticky Trackpad.

I treated myself to a new 2012 MacBook Pro Retina (16 RAM and 256SSD) when they were released and again that was only retired 6 months ago when the GPU gave up the ghost. I will be repairing it and selling it on eBay soon.

Then I bought myself a MacBook Pro 13" with 2.3GHz i7 processor, 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD. Three months later I threw an entire mug of coffee over it!

So while that was in the Apple Hospital, I bought a brand new MacBook Pro M! Pro 14" 16GB with 1TB SSD. What a massive difference from the Intel i7 when it comes to rendering video! Seriously fast! And the Pro-Motion HDR screen is just wow!

In the midst of all that my partner got bought a MacBook Pro 16" with i9, 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD from the Refurbished section. Huge screen and works well for my partners writing and page layout.

And that's just the laptops! On top of that I have a Mac mini 2012 upgraded to 16GB RAM and a 1TB Sandisk SSD that has a 9TB RAID 5 HDD attached to it with all my music, movies and TV programmes on it. That also doubles as a desktop PC and triples as Time Machine Backup to a WD My Book Duo with 2 x 6TB WD Red drives. That feeds an Apple TV 4K in the lounge and an Apple TV HD in the bedroom. It also feeds my Cambridge Audio CXN Network player for my hi-fi.

Oh, and we both have iPhones and iPads!

I think you could safely say we are Apple-holics!

Edit: Forgot to say, just retired a 2012 27" iMac!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Old Mac user, new Mac!

Moved from my creaking late 2013 iMac 27" to the 24" iMac (8/8 version) a couple of weeks ago. While my old iMac had plenty of life in it, it was a few OS behind and will be obsolete by Apple's rules this year.

Things I love about the 24". Speedy, responsive and looks cool. MacOS integration with IOS is really slick nowadays.

Things I miss about my 27" - BIG screen, huge disk space and upgradable RAM.

Not sure what to do with the old Mac now. Maybe use it as a media centre for the kiddo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ordered my second Mac yesterday from the Apple Refurbished store. Refurbished 16-inch MacBook Pro Apple M1 Pro Chip with 10‑Core CPU and 16‑Core GPU - Space Grey and 16 GB Ram and 512 GB SD HD. It's replacing a 7 year old 13 inc MacBook Pro with 2.7 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB Ram, 256 SD HD and a new battery installed last weekend. My new MacBook Pro arrives on Monday. I will be selling my old MacBook. What's a fair price to sell it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

My Mac Air has just landed. Just wondering what cases do ye recommend? Thanks.

Advertisement