Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-01-2021, 12:13   #31
lawred2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18,584
Revenue seem to be saying that anything under €22 will not be subject to anything. Mine was only €17 so should be ok.
lawred2 is offline  
Advertisement
02-01-2021, 13:02   #32
mik_da_man
Hosted Moderator
 
mik_da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 9,312
HMod: OTG
It will be interesting, I bought pens for all the family so was well over the 22 quid.
However you are buying on an .ie website, in Euros
It would be reasonable to assume no extra charges are expected

If extra charges happen then Cross will be getting a lot of complaints...
mik_da_man is offline  
02-01-2021, 13:10   #33
Atlantic Dawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 58,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik_da_man View Post
It will be interesting, I bought pens for all the family so was well over the 22 quid.
However you are buying on an .ie website, in Euros
It would be reasonable to assume no extra charges are expected

If extra charges happen then Cross will be getting a lot of complaints...

Yes I went to nearly €40, I got the impression from the site that it was coming from an Irish or European distribution centre, no mention of it coming from the UK and liable to import duty during the ordering process. I did see a Bedfordshire address in the footer of the email received though but order already placed then. They shouldn't be using a .ie with no mention of duty if it's coming from the UK (I know they are under no obligation to).
Atlantic Dawn is online now  
Thanks from:
02-01-2021, 13:13   #34
Dante7
Registered User
 
Dante7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,482
Cross are historically an Irish company, so it would be fairly embarrassing for them if they messed on Brexit and Irish people had to pay import duty and VAT to buy their pens.
Dante7 is offline  
02-01-2021, 13:22   #35
lawred2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante7 View Post
Cross are historically an Irish company, so it would be fairly embarrassing for them if they messed on Brexit and Irish people had to pay import duty and VAT to buy their pens.
Historically an Irish company?

As in founded here?

Didn't know that. Interesting.
lawred2 is offline  
Advertisement
02-01-2021, 13:27   #36
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
Historically an Irish company?

As in founded here?

Didn't know that. Interesting.
No such thing, an American company through and through....they had a manufacturing plant here that was set up in the '70s ... but nothing Irish about it overall
Paul Weller is offline  
02-01-2021, 13:30   #37
Sheep Shagger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,223
An Post say they have an agreement with 95% of their GB 'partners' so that no additional fees are payable at the doorstep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210102_122429_compress9.jpg (172.2 KB, 123 views)
Sheep Shagger is offline  
02-01-2021, 13:37   #38
lawred2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Weller View Post
No such thing, an American company through and through....they had a manufacturing plant here that was set up in the '70s ... but nothing Irish about it overall
I was kinda thinking that would be more likely
lawred2 is offline  
02-01-2021, 14:18   #39
Irishder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 826
Thanks OP, first bargain alert of the year for me
Irishder is offline  
Advertisement
02-01-2021, 14:34   #40
lau1247
Registered User
 
lau1247's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
Yes I went to nearly €40, I got the impression from the site that it was coming from an Irish or European distribution centre, no mention of it coming from the UK and liable to import duty during the ordering process. I did see a Bedfordshire address in the footer of the email received though but order already placed then. They shouldn't be using a .ie with no mention of duty if it's coming from the UK (I know they are under no obligation to).
That's the thing though, it is cross.com with sub region in the address. So not explicitly a .ie address.

It is anyone's guess as it is at the moment.

Last edited by lau1247; 02-01-2021 at 14:35. Reason: Typo
lau1247 is offline  
Thanks from:
02-01-2021, 14:40   #41
tea and coffee
Registered User
 
tea and coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,424
Does it matter which way you apply the discounts?
If you buy something for €100 with a 55% discount, then 20%,15% and 5% would that not make it 95% off so €5?
Or is there a best way to apply the discounts to make it cheapest?
tea and coffee is offline  
02-01-2021, 14:44   #42
Libera
Registered User
 
Libera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea and coffee View Post
Does it matter which way you apply the discounts?
If you buy something for €100 with a 55% discount, then 20%,15% and 5% would that not make it 95% off so €5?
Or is there a best way to apply the discounts to make it cheapest?

It makes no difference, as based on a reducing percentage balance whichever way you order it.
Libera is offline  
02-01-2021, 14:48   #43
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 248
W3LC0M32X

15% off code that came to me too late if anyone wants to use it.. just comment when used please
Paul Weller is offline  
(3) thanks from:
02-01-2021, 15:01   #44
gerard2210
Registered User
 
gerard2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Weller View Post
W3LC0M32X

15% off code that came to me too late if anyone wants to use it.. just comment when used please
I got the same code, probably same code for everyone.
gerard2210 is offline  
02-01-2021, 15:03   #45
SouthWesterly
Registered User
 
SouthWesterly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
Historically an Irish company?

As in founded here?

Didn't know that. Interesting.
A friend of mine worked on the design of their ink flow system.
SouthWesterly is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet