Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media jobs

Options
  • 29-02-2020 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Basically I was wondering what types of jobs may be the most realistic to get under the broad umbrella of "Media", seeing as it's a very competitive and small market in Ireland.

I've kind of given up on my original goal at this stage, which was the creative end of things. I have a Bachelors in Multimedia, a Masters in Film, some Production and Post-Production experience and I still can't even get unpaid work as a runner in a studio. I don't really have 2 or 3 years to network - I'll follow up on the creative stuff in my own free time as I love doing it, but in the meantime I need a paying career.

I've been looking at UX Design (which is fairly creative and can be learnt at home) and Marketing roles. I wasn't too great at Web Design. I'm willing to upskill though. What areas and roles in Media are "realistic" for finding jobs in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should find a job in a commercial radio station in the morning if you're willing to work for shiny buttons - scrape above minimum wage for many roles.

How far do you extend "media"? UX design wouldn't fall within my usual idea of it.

Also, if you don't drive/have a car you'd be surprised how useful having a licence is, and a car even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bobmaster

I'm mainly just looking for a job that would be considered creative or where I have a creative outlet. UX Design probably isn't exactly Media but I'm pretty technically-minded and good with computers so I'd be willing to go into that side of things as long as it has a creative aspect to it.

When you mention radio stations, do you mean as a broadcast intern, like working on audio desks or something? Or what did you have in mind. Funny enough, radio was something I was quite interested in way back when I started college.

I do also have a full driving licence for over 10 years, no penalty points, etc. Apart from transporting equipment on film shoots I'm not sure what else I could use that for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most radio stations have permanent vacancies for desk jockeys for broadcasts, pre-recorded shows etc. Automation is slowly stripping them away but its not gone and won't be gone for a long time yet. But its not creative at all - however once you're in the door everything else comes up.

Flexibility is key for getting shifts or a permanent role in those kind of jobs so having a car opens up out of hours shift, work in another studio if you're working for a group and so on. Radio groups usually have digital houses attached now too.

Advertisement