Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I renew Health Insurance as a new customer for less than renewal?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

My Insurer offered renewal at a hefty mark-up this year.
    However I found the plan offered for far less on the Insurer's website.
    Can I simply buy cover through the website and save the difference?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Probably not if the offer was made only to new customers. Insurance contracts are a bit special in that context, you are required to disclose all information, even if not asked. A failure to do so means that the insurance company can walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Yes. I've done this for the last few years. It's generally an "online discount" thats applied to the policy when you take it out online. However, the renewal notice for existing customers doesn't include this. It's sneaky enough to be honest.

For a couple of years i just took out the Health policy as a new policy and when they rang me to find out was i renewing i told them what i had done and they matched up the customer numbers.

Another year i rang them to get the online discount and they told me they couldn't apply it and to do what i had done the year before!

Last year they applied the discount when i rang up. With Health insurance they have to offer the same prices to everyone once you have completed the waiting periods etc and already have a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What's the plan and company, my renewal is up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What's the plan and company, my renewal is up soon.

Explore 500. Laya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Paulzx wrote: »
    Yes. I've done this for the last few years. It's generally an "online discount" thats applied to the policy when you take it out online. However, the renewal notice for existing customers doesn't include this. It's sneaky enough to be honest.

For a couple of years i just took out the Health policy as a new policy and when they rang me to find out was i renewing i told them what i had done and they matched up the customer numbers.

Another year i rang them to get the online discount and they told me they couldn't apply it and to do what i had done the year before!

Last year they applied the discount when i rang up. With Health insurance they have to offer the same prices to everyone once you have completed the waiting periods etc and already have a policy.

Cheers. Does this have any effect on cover?
    I thought with Health Insurance a long continous cover period is considered desirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Cheers. Does this have any effect on cover?
    I thought with Health Insurance a long continous cover period is considered desirable.

If you already have Health Insurance and have served all the waiting periods you cannot be penalised when taking out equivalent cover once there is no longer than 13 weeks between your old policy lapsing and taking up a new one.

If you upgrade your level of cover you will have to serve waiting periods on the extra benefits but not on whatever is equivalent to what you had before.

Unlike motor insurance Health Insurance is the same price for everyone once you first take out a policy when you are young.

Moving from insurer to insurer and changing policies has no detrimental effect on cover.

Advertisement