Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I did not want to show the world the sadness in my eyes.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tdf7187 wrote: »
    In new scandal, it has been revealed that pop singer "Duffy" was held captive for nine years by crazed sex rapists.

‘ The pop star Duffy has revealed that she was "raped, drugged and held captive" for several days. ’

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

callaway92 wrote: »
    ‘ The pop star Duffy has revealed that she was "raped, drugged and held captive" for several days. ’

She doesn't say when it happened either, was it last week, last year, when her album sales dropped, when?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

For "some days" not 9 bloody years.

That’s some Josef Fritzl ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did think she disappeared all of a sudden and went totally off the radar.

Makes sense now. Hope shes doing ok. Horrible ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Troubled Welsh songstress kidnapped for nine days/weeks/years.

I’m interested in hearing Shane Duffy’s thoughts on this.

And where’s Patrick Duffy of Dallas fame? I’d’ve expected a press release by now.

29 years as a sex slave. Shocking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

KungPao wrote: »
    I’m interested in hearing Shane Duffy’s thoughts on this.

And where’s Patrick Duffy of Dallas fame? I’d’ve expected a press release by now.

29 years as a sex slave. Shocking stuff.

Have you ever considered opportunities in the adult industry arena?

I seek merely information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

KungPao wrote: »

He's still in the shower

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Isn't the normal procedure to go to the police on such matters rather than 'revealing' this to the press randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

AllForIt wrote: »
    Isn't the normal procedure to go to the police on such matters rather than 'revealing' this to the press randomly.

Presumably she did but then was too traumatised for several years to consider a very public career. Makes more sense than her popping up a week after the event all singing all dancing with a book and a dailymail cover interview.
    It's surprising and somewhat pitiful to see something so awful being ridiculed here ( not addressing you specifically OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

Dark Sun glasses could have taken care of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Presumably she did but then was too traumatised for several years to consider a very public career. Makes more sense than her popping up a week after the event all singing all dancing with a book and a dailymail cover interview.
    It's surprising and somewhat pitiful to see something so awful being ridiculed here ( not addressing you specifically OP).

Agreed.

A few years after she disappeared, I did wonder if she was seriously or terminally ill, she really did "disappear" rather than just dropped from the record Company. She has clearly been trying to heal.

I'd say a load is lifted off her mind once she spoke out. She references confiding in a journalist.

It is poor that rape and kidnap is treated as a source for jokes. Its really nothing to be sneered at.

Sounds awful. It makes sense that if you think you were targeted because of your stardom, you'd take a step back, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not ridiculing anyone but one can't help have a few questions about this. 'A few days' is not like an hour or two. It's kidnapping. How could noone not have know about this, her friends, family etc. She must have been officially 'missing' by that length of time. When a crime event occurs of this nature it's not normally up to the victim to decide when or if to release the story to the press, it's the police. Why didn't the police reveal this story to the media. Was there not a manhunt? Did they make any attempts to identify him? He couldn't be in custody or the story would be in the press through the courts already. If the event was so traumatic why on earth is she revealing this to the world now?

Very odd story

<Snip - inappropriate lyrics>>

Oh, and she revealed all this on...Instagram. INSTAGRAM! :confused:

Glad I am not the only one to have scepticism. No mention anywhere of reporting it to the police so assuming she never went to them.

I am increasingly suspicious of celebs revealing via social media that they were the victim of crimes. It is too easy to get attention, sympathy, publicity and does not require any evidence or verification.

I think the first step would be the legal route if you are the victim of a crime as serious as this. Name names. Let the authorities investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

presumably the perpetrator has been dealt with by the courts, how that was kept out if the media is another question. poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Glad I am not the only one to have scepticism. No mention anywhere of reporting it to the police so assuming she never went to them.

I am increasingly suspicious of celebs revealing via social media that they were the victim of crimes. It is too easy to get attention, sympathy, publicity and does not require any evidence or verification.

As a victim of rape, they might well get attention, sympathy, publicity. But they’ll equally get people like you who will assume the worst of THEM for even mentioning it.

Silly woman should probably have just been raped and been quiet about it. Or at least she should give you the police report number so you can go verify it. FFS.

As a victim of rape, they might well get attention, sympathy, publicity. But they’ll equally get people like you who will assume the worst of THEM for bc even mentioning it.

Silly woman should probably have just been raped and been quiet about it. Or at least she should give you the police report number so you can go verify it. FFS.

I think you are projecting extreme views onto me. I am not saying I disbelieve her story i just feel that for such a serious crime as this there would be one or two more details. It is just vague enough to have me feeling a bit sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I like to think she's telling the truth.
    That said, if it came out as all lies I wouldn't be shocked either. We live in a mad world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I believe her.

I believe her.

I don’t believe her just because she said it. All we have is one person’s word. But I don’t disbelieve her either.

If someone’s tells me they were raped I’d treat them with the compassion as if they definitely were raped but I’d also want to verify whether it’s actually true before I’d believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don’t believe her just because she said it. All we have is one person’s word. But I don’t disbelieve her either.

If someone’s tells me they were raped I’d treat them with the compassion as if they definitely were raped but I’d also want to verify whether it’s actually true before I’d believe it.

How do you verify its true?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread started badly and went downhill from there.

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you verify its true?

I won’t be involved in the case at all so I’ll never verify it. Will you be involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lads, surely it goes without saying that he lyrics of Mercy are hardly deemed witty or funny given this allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always wondered what happened to her. Her album ‘Rockferry’ is excellent, ‘Warwick Avenue’ would be the “stand out” track for me.

I remember reading one of her producer/collaborators, one of the guys from Suede, saying she fell in with a bad crowd.

Hope she gets the help, and support, she needs and we hear more music from her again.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'm not ridiculing anyone but one can't help have a few questions about this. 'A few days' is not like an hour or two. It's kidnapping. How could noone not have know about this, her friends, family etc. She must have been officially 'missing' by that length of time. When a crime event occurs of this nature it's not normally up to the victim to decide when or if to release the story to the press, it's the police. Why didn't the police reveal this story to the media. Was there not a manhunt? Did they make any attempts to identify him? He couldn't be in custody or the story would be in the press through the courts already. If the event was so traumatic why on earth is she revealing this to the world now?

Very odd story

<Snip - inappropriate lyrics>>

Oh, and she revealed all this on...Instagram. INSTAGRAM! :confused:

Have you maybe considered that it could have been done by a partner? Most crimes like rape aren't committed by a random stranger but rather by someone known to the victim. Maybe she wasn't reported missing as it was her partner holding her which wouldn't have necessarily aroused suspicion.

Maybe she's revealing it because she wants to move on with her life and music and knows that some red-top newspaper will find out about it and splash it everywhere so she's able to control it more this way. Similar to Philip Scofield's coming out in that he was able to control his narrative by announcing it himself.

I'm also confused - what's so bad with Instagram? What way, in your esteemed opinion, should she have announced it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Nobody on here can say for certain whether she was raped or not unless we witnessed it. She’d have a lot to lose lying about this though. Now what’ll happen the next few days is feminists/Libs coming out saying blah blah blah blah change laws
    Conservatives saying blah blah blah blah blah don’t change laws

If not thoroughly investigated already, it needs to be and people shouldn’t really comment until more facts come out about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

I think the first step would be the legal route if you are the victim of a crime as serious as this. Name names. Let the authorities investigate.

Very good post.

Instagram is a terrible place to release this story.

If it's true why go to Instagram of all places to reveal it?

Instagram is the most facile, vacuous and bullcrap app in World to release such a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How the fvck did this degenerate into "I wonder if she's lying"?

Some sick people around here tbh.
    A journalist tracked her down and got in touch with her to ask her where she'd gone, and she agreed to go ahead and talk about.

So it's not like she planned out some great burst into the spotlight on the back of a traumatic story.

• Advertisement

Very good post.

Instagram is a terrible place to release this story.

If it's true why go to Instagram of all places to reveal it?

Instagram is the most facile, vacuous and bullcrap app in World to release such a story.

I have never used Instagram but I gather it's like twitter except you aren't limited to 140 characters. So it's a media outlet where you can get your story out, unfiltered and unedited by anyone else. If It's a choice between a tabloid breaking a story, and you doing it yourself, Instagram is easily the better of those two options.

But for anyone looking to discredit HER, the fact that she used Instagram seems to be a popular criticism. Some people are genuinely nasty and their first instinct is to be nasty.

Advertisement