Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buy a sandwich - service charge suggested

• 20-01-2020 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I bought food the other day at a railway station coffee outlet and as usual, paid by card (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the outlet). This time the transaction came up on a screen and asked me to choose 'yes' or 'no' to agreeing to pay 5% service charge. :eek:

All the assistant had to do was to scan the item and process the transaction. The item cost €5.70 and 5% of this would be 28.5 cents, which would be rounded up to 29 cents.

Very annoying!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Name away, its not illegal - just extremely odd.

I've never seen that behaviour outside of the US; and indeed a railway station place even having the tips function on a card reader would be extremely rare - there's a Michelin Guide (not starred) restaurant near me that doesn't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭cbreeze

It's the one in Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

cbreeze wrote: »
    It's the one in Dun Laoghaire

Just hit No. There seems to be an on going effort to normalise tipping in Ireland in the same way as US and Canada.

I don't like tipping culture anywhere but at least in North America, there is a historical and social context as well as an expectation of superior service.

None of the above applies in Ireland, UK or Europe in general.

Just say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

To be fair the min wage in Ireland is very different to the situation in America.
    In any way how does handing someone a sambo, possibly prepacked warrant a tip?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dont mind tipping if Ive had good service but hate being put under pressure to do so. Getting a sense some employers are trying to encourage a tipping culture as for them it as a way of subsidising the already low wages that are being paid to the staff. Would also question how much of the 5% is actually going to end up in the staffs hands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement