Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

How to make money:

Step 1: Buy SPY / S&P 500 any day , any week, good news or bad news.

Step 2: Profit

Sounds like the old mantra of ‘house prices only ever go up’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Caiden Immense Porterhouse

Sounds like the old mantra of ‘house prices only ever go up’

Twas but a joke

If I buy it it'll tank. So I just have to watch it go up instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Twas but a joke

If I buy it it'll tank. So I just have to watch it go up instead.

A good time to move towards Treasury bills.

JMMCapital wrote: »
    A good time to move towards Treasury bills.

Or Bitcoin

Or Bitcoin

I need to look more into it, any good places to start?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm pretty much all cashed out of Nasdaq apart from one pharma share that's in the red and I'll keep long term (or at least until it's profitable :p)

Anyone else finished riding this wave for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Treppen

unkel wrote: »
    I'm pretty much all cashed out of Nasdaq apart from one pharma share that's in the red and I'll keep long term (or at least until it's profitable :p)

Anyone else finished riding this wave for now?

I'm opposite, all red except for 1 green..... Although the 1 green is keeping the whole lot break even:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

2 in the green, 3 in the red...staying in for a bit longer

Moneygram International MGI - stick on your watchlists ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

There was some chatter on the 2019 thread about NIO and where it was heading - nowhere positive!!

Pretty miraculous recovery the last 2 months and probably on a TSLA wave. Anyone a buyer at the present level?

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    There was some chatter on the 2019 thread about NIO and where it was heading - nowhere positive!!

Pretty miraculous recovery the last 2 months and probably on a TSLA wave. Anyone a buyer at the present level?

It has a habit of some daily swings of 20% either way so I'd say out personally. Rode it down from IP0 to about $5. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'm still holding a bit of a bag in NIO but I am quite optimistic and I think this is a medium to long term hold. They are close to a billion dollar financing package and sales are picking up nicely for what are fantastic cars.

While I'm on the subject of electric cars I think Tesla are on their way to $1000+ dollars over the next few years. I'm not as optimistic on NIO but they are both way ahead of the competition and there market gets bigger by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

It has a habit of some daily swings of 20% either way so I'd say out personally. Rode it down from IP0 to about $5. :o

Im still sitting on a loss but had given up on it so a pleasant surprise to see the recovery to date. Very volatile beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Made a few quid from Virgin Galactic this week. Bought some shortly after it launched @$10.99. Dropped to $7.50ish soon after, but had a nice spike this week and I sold for $15:75. Wish I’d bought more @$7.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Made a few quid from Virgin Galactic this week. Bought some shortly after it launched @$10.99. Dropped to $7.50ish soon after, but had a nice spike this week and I sold for $15:75. Wish I’d bought more @$7.50!

Been watching that with bemusement myself, haven't the courage to jump in to be honest, its a totally speculative play. That said many made a mint riding BYND to insane levels before, and lost it afterwards too I suppose!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Brought some at 13$, happy enough to hold onto them for now.

Palladium (used to make catalytic converters that clean exhaust fumes in gasoline-driven vehicles) has been on some run lately currently trading at around $2480/oz up 82% since Jan 1st 2019, 28% YTD so far. I wonder will it continue to rally now being the second most expensive precious metal after Rhodium, just ahead of Gold (it is 30% Rarer so should always be above it anyway regardless). From my understanding some of the main reasons for its rise is the mines in South Africa (one of top 2 producing countries) cutting back on output causing a large supply deficit, restrictions on emissions in China and Europe raising demand from car makers. A lot of the producing companies shares have tripled/quadrupled in value over the same time period.

I hear now that a lot of the purchasers (mostly car producers) are considering switching to Platinum which is a more cheaper alternative (about half the price of palladium) currently trading around $950-1000 an oz, a long time ago the auto industry switched to palladium as an alternative to platinum as it was cheaper, from listening to analysts they think the switch by manufacturing back to platinum could take 18 month, might be a good investment opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'm still holding a bit of a bag in NIO but I am quite optimistic and I think this is a medium to long term hold. They are close to a billion dollar financing package and sales are picking up nicely for what are fantastic cars.

While I'm on the subject of electric cars I think Tesla are on their way to $1000+ dollars over the next few years. I'm not as optimistic on NIO but they are both way ahead of the competition and there market gets bigger by the day.

7 round of funding to the tune of $4 billion in the 15 months since their IPO, hmmmm. They are exploring another funding round and refuse to comment on speculation.

XMG wrote: »
    7 round of funding to the tune of $4 billion in the 15 months since their IPO, hmmmm. They are exploring another funding round and refuse to comment on speculation.

Well they did comment on speculation to say they were in negotiations but as nothing is yet decided they can't comment further.

It's a new company with huge aspirations and in the last year have began to make some meaningful sales while cutting costs. It may go tits up and they get bought out for a song or it may be a major player in EV cars in couple of years in China and Asia. That is the chance you take.

The fact is that EV cars are becoming the norm and will make up most of new car sales by the end of the decade. Tesla building a factory and selling cars in China is to their benefit as it normalises EV and creates further awareness.
    Their biggest issue is having enough cash to produce enough cars to meet demand. If they can solve that then sales growth will be significant.

Verastem seems to be moving up a bit. Anyone know why?

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Verastem seems to be moving up a bit. Anyone know why?

Cos it's aboot fookin time!

Most recent news was submitting a marketing license application for Copiktra in Europe and a collaboration with a Chinese company to license their drug. They must obviously think this Chinese company's drug will be key in developing some of their own pipeline. They have quite a few irons in the fire so fingers crossed they'll hit the motherload.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

$SDRL seadrill looks like its shaping up for round 2 i might take a swing on it will monitor it at open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hottipper wrote: »
    $SDRL seadrill looks like its shaping up for round 2 i might take a swing on it will monitor it at open.

It had a bit of a pump n dump recently

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    It had a bit of a pump n dump recently

dumped hard today also gonna give it a miss

Bought mid December at €2.49, watched it go up over €4 at New Year’s, then sold at €3.50 on the subsequent drop, felt vindicated as it continued to drop and the general chat was they were a loser.

I see it’s now at €5.20...typical haha

BA / Boeing just got halted.

Could be a bloodbath when back trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

BA / Boeing just got halted.

Could be a bloodbath when back trading.
    Interesting thread over on the aviation forum, the problem that crashed the planes could be resolvable with training and software updates but there are other issues with the airframe that could be fatal, the seats might be able to take the required G-forces for European certification for example, could be BS but theres a list of issues coming out of the woodwork now, I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole anyway. Im a logical person but it would be a couple of years before I set foot on a MAX aswell, many people will be the same.

Thargor wrote: »
    Interesting thread over on the aviation forum, the problem that crashed the planes could be resolvable with training and software updates but there are other issues with the airframe that could be fatal, the seats might not be able to take the required G-forces for European certification for example, could be BS but theres a list of issues coming out of the woodwork now, I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole anyway. Im a logical person but it would be a couple of years before I set foot on a MAX aswell, many people will be the same.

Didn't Ryanair go ahead with Max

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Bought mid December at €2.49, watched it go up over €4 at New Year’s, then sold at €3.50 on the subsequent drop, felt vindicated as it continued to drop and the general chat was they were a loser.

I see it’s now at €5.20...typical haha

Bought at the start of November for $1.60, and very happy with the way things have gone since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

NIO is flying

Advertisement