Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

doughef wrote: »
    Have they culled any applications at this stage, or does everyone automatically go forward for the remote testing bit?

For the most recent AP competition I understand they did the cull based on application forms just before interview so many had passed the assessment stages but then didn’t get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

Can’t do the assessment In work as no webcam and wouldn’t be able to download anything due to IT restrictions so would have to do it at home. However, not a hope of me being able to take time off to do the assessments between 9:30 and 3:30 on the dates given due to work commitments and a huge deadline that week!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

hardybuck wrote: »
    Many of the people who are potential applicants will be reluctant enough to bother with these tests at all, and this will be an extra reason not to.

APs currently in the organisation, particularly AP1s, won't see a big increase in pay by going for it, particularly for the increased responsibility, and there is plenty of apathy towards taking on PO posts within the Civil Service as it is.

This is good news for some people but bad news for the organisation in terms of securing talent.

The recent AHCPS seminars to prepare APs for PO roles were very well attended. There will be lots of interest in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The recent AHCPS seminars to prepare APs for PO roles were very well attended. There will be lots of interest in this competition.

A significant number were recently promoted APs planning for a step up in the medium term.

As pretty much anyone can apply it can be expected that, as with most of these competitions, there will be a lot of speculative applicants 'doing it for experience'.

Feedback from people conducting interviews is that the standard of candidates making it to interview has been dropping at an alarming rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Feedback from people conducting interviews is that the standard of candidates making it to interview has been dropping at an alarming rate.

That's interesting as I'd expect the tests to get that far haven't got any easier!

• Advertisement

Bobby04 wrote: »
    That's interesting as I'd expect the tests to get that far haven't got any easier!

Why is that interesting?

Why is that interesting?

I have to explain why I might find something interesting!? Random, but ok - the assessment tests I consider to be quite difficult, and I think their level of difficulty has not reduced recently. Therefore I would consider anyone getting through that stage to have a very decent level of intelligence and intellect. And I would expect that has not changed recently. So for the boards to consider the standard of interviewee to be dropping at an alarming rate surprises me and makes me wonder what has changed...I'm curious and interested if there's some plausible explanation.

I have to explain why I might find something interesting!? Random, but ok - the assessment tests I consider to be quite difficult, and I think their level of difficulty has not reduced recently. Therefore I would consider anyone getting through that stage to have a very decent level of intelligence and intellect. And I would expect that has not changed recently. So for the boards to consider the standard of interviewee to be dropping at an alarming rate surprises me and makes me wonder what has changed...I'm curious and interested if there's some plausible explanation.

You don't have to but you have obliged my request - many thanks.

The tests may indicate a type of intelligence and intellect but this does not indicate that the candidate is suitable for the role - hence the shortlisting and interviews that happen afterwards.

I can't tell you why some interviewers feel that way, but those I've spoken to have mentioned that the depth of candidate experience is becoming thinner due to so much promotional activity in recent years.

In addition, a lot of older candidates won't do these tests. They feel they're designed for a younger audience, and will instead go for internal promotional competitions that don't require testing.

the depth of candidate experience is becoming thinner due to so much promotional activity in recent years.

In addition, a lot of older candidates won't do these tests. They feel they're designed for a younger audience, and will instead go for internal promotional competitions that don't require testing.

Yeah that all makes a lot of sense, and very much my own perception as well - thanks for the explanation.

• Bobby04 wrote: »

Is it a bad sign that I had to look up the difference between Intelligence and Intellect... and even worse that I'm still not 100% sure of the difference :confused::)

• Advertisement

• Instructions on next step received, but I'm in work and don't have the laptop with me to book a time. My own fault I don't have access to it, it'll be the work laptop I'm using :)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Tests result in random results. Some very good staff are poor at them. Some wasters get through. That's a fact.

Actually don't have a pc with Web cam and can't do it at work.

Is this not an issue for others?

See response.

Actually need a webcam. That is scandalous. Who the flip has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

PCWorld have a sale on laptops at the moment if that's any good to ya:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/search-keywords/xx_xx_30328_xx_xx/-wcwd_comp-/xx-criteria.html

I'd guess most phone shops will probably have a pay-as-you-go mobile broadband offering if that is also needed.

Slydice wrote: »
    PCWorld have a sale on laptops at the moment if that's any good to ya:
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/search-keywords/xx_xx_30328_xx_xx/-wcwd_comp-/xx-criteria.html

I'd guess most phone shops will probably have a pay-as-you-go mobile broadband offering if that is also needed.

Thanks, yeah I will spend 600e and more again on a webcam to do an interview. That's great.

Not even sure if you were being sarcastic here or not.

• ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah I will spend 600e and more again on a webcam to do an interview. That's great.

Not even sure if you were being sarcastic here or not.

Not sure where the attitude is coming from - clearly they were trying to help.

As far as I'm aware the process is not mandatory. If you do not wish to participate that's fine.

If, for whatever reason, you are not able to participate in the highest Civil Service position that can be applied for externally through open competition process then that's just too bad.

Personally I know probably half a dozen people that I could borrow a web enabled lap top to do the tests. You don't need to tell anyone it's for an interview.

This is a senior position in the CS where you're going to be working with the people that govern the country (the permanent and political government). Consider this the first test of initiative as part of that process.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Does anyone have any idea what type of questions will be asked? It is a normal IQ test with numerical and mechanical reasoning? Any links to try out similar tests?

• Irishder wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what type of questions will be asked? It is a normal IQ test with numerical and mechanical reasoning? Any links to try out similar tests?

There's apparently sample test questions that can be tried three times each. But, I've not looked at them yet.

I'd be interested to hear more about the type of questions, but will see the samples soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EricShaw

What do you think of JobTestPrep's preparation? Seems OK to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

EricShaw wrote: »

What tests are you using? There seems to be loads on options on their website.

What tests are you using? There seems to be loads on options on their website.

This page about the Prinicipal Officer Test - jobtestprep.co.uk/ics-principal-officer-ireland-assessment?f

• Registered Users Posts: 27,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    See response.

Actually need a webcam. That is scandalous. Who the flip has them.
    Most work laptops won't allow any software or add-ins to be installed, so will probably not be usable for this, unless prior arrangements have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

This page about the Prinicipal Officer Test - jobtestprep.co.uk/ics-principal-officer-ireland-assessment?f

No option for TestReach, disappointing, money back time

Ladder22 wrote: »
    No option for TestReach, disappointing, money back time

What do you mean? They mention that TestReach is just a platform. As far as I know, TestReach don't write the tests, the Public Appointments Service do.
    Am I wrong?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Start Practesing Now
    They could at least spell check their page...

494122.PNG

cee_jay wrote: »
    They could at least spell check their page...

If I'm not mistaken, that's how you write practicing in UK English.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

No - the word is spelled "practising" - there is no E in the middle of the word.
    The spelling is correct further down the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Any idea if it’s a big deal to reschedule the test ?

• Advertisement

• doughef wrote: »
    Any idea if it’s a big deal to reschedule the test ?

Within the three days? Perfectly allowed if there are spots remaining.

Advertisement