Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Tracker Review

• 12-03-2018 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Received a letter in the post today from AIB with a cheque for €1’615. Apparently it’s compensation for not being offered a tracker when my fixed rate mortgage ended sometime between 2008 and 2013. Apparently they weren’t offering trackers at the time and even if they were the rate would have been higher than I was paying but they apologize for their error and give compensation.

It also offers the option to now go to a tracker but with a margin of 3.32% which is actually higher than the standard variable of 3.15% so that makes no sense anyway.

Anyone else get one of these? Any reason not to lodge the cheque? Is it possible it’s being offered to avoid people chasing them for potentially more money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

We got the same today, am wondering what's best to do? Should we appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 D5girl

Got the exact same... cheque for the same value which is odd unless we have identical mortgages!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

D5girl wrote: »
    Got the exact same... cheque for the same value which is odd unless we have identical mortgages!

Yes got one too, thought I was getting offered tracker then read the plus bit. I’d be thinking there is a case for taking this further.

I was in fixed 3 year mortgage took out middle of 2008,

D5girl wrote: »

Yes got one too, thought I was getting offered tracker then read the plus bit. I’d be thinking there is a case for taking this further.

I was in fixed 3 year mortgage took out middle of 2008,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,947 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Got this too.

I won't be lodging that cheque without getting professional advice. Cash it and more than likely you're signing away your claim for more.

Given the history of how banks have behaved in the past, I doubt 1000e is all we might be entitled to

I understand there is a court case being taken against AIB about this at the moment too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm in the same boat.

Where are the bank getting the tracker rate that we are being offered?

Should we not be offered the prevailing tracker rate that would have been in place on the date or fixed rate mortgage ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

everlast75 wrote:
    I won't be lodging that cheque without getting professional advice. Cash it and more than likely you're signing away your claim for more.

You aren't

Hi folks,

There's a lot more info on this on askaboutmoney under tracker redress. Looks like 4000 of us who were on a fixed and then should of got a tracker are scratching their head.

Charlie Weston wrote in the Independent on Saturday that AIB look to be misleading and waffling with this letter they sent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Firstly by lodging the cheque you do NOT lose your right to appeal. There's a very thorough thread on the ask about money website about this. There are 4000 people affected. Basically your mortgage contact had clause 3.2 which says that at the end of any fixed period you have the right to a tracker rate.

AIB never offered this option and so they are offering a fixed amount of compensation (1000) plus money for independent legal advice (615). I'd recommend you request a copy of all your paperwork from AIB - but be cautious they deliberately (I believe) sent me the wrong paperwork - luckily I retained all my original documentation.

There are a group of people on askaboutmoney who have pooled their money together to raise a case as we believe that the 'prevailing' rate AIB are quoting has been pulled from thin air and does not reflect the rates at the time. In my personal situation, I believe if we'd had the option of the correct rate of tracker then we would have paid 20k less over the course of a ten year mortgage so the 1000 is nowhere close to what I should be getting and I intend to pursue them.

• Advertisement

peteb2 wrote: »
    You aren't

Correct. I was mistaken.

xalot wrote: »
    Firstly by lodging the cheque you do NOT lose your right to appeal. There's a very thorough thread on the ask about money website about this. There are 4000 people affected. Basically your mortgage contact had clause 3.2 which says that at the end of any fixed period you have the right to a tracker rate.

AIB never offered this option and so they are offering a fixed amount of compensation (1000) plus money for independent legal advice (615). I'd recommend you request a copy of all your paperwork from AIB - but be cautious they deliberately (I believe) sent me the wrong paperwork - luckily I retained all my original documentation.

There are a group of people on askaboutmoney who have pooled their money together to raise a case as we believe that the 'prevailing' rate AIB are quoting has been pulled from thin air and does not reflect the rates at the time. In my personal situation, I believe if we'd had the option of the correct rate of tracker then we would have paid 20k less over the course of a ten year mortgage so the 1000 is nowhere close to what I should be getting and I intend to pursue them.

Are you or will you be getting involved in the litigation? Do you know which Solicitor/firm is representing the AIB customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

everlast75 wrote: »
    Are you or will you be getting involved in the litigation? Do you know which Solicitor/firm is representing the AIB customers?

Yes I am, only joined it in the last 6 months, some people have been fighting for redress for years! We haven't assigned representation yet - waiting for all members to get their compensation first. The members are from all over the country.
    Take a look at this link and see if you're interested.
    https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/i-just-got-a-letter-from-aib-offering-me-%E2%82%AC1-615-and-a-tracker-at-3-32-what-should-i-do.207734/

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭deeks

Interesting. I be following this and the askaboutmoney thread with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

hi all
    its myself and a few others who are coordinating the group looking into taking this further. if people are interested in joining then please set up a username on askaboutmoney (reason for this will become clearer later) and then email us with your details at aibtrackergroup@gmail.com
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭deeks

Thanks Bungaro79. What kind of details do we need to submit on the e-mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

hi deeks
    just your name and a brief overview of the details of your mortgage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Johnnywaters

I thought I fixed during that time

Has everyone got compensation?

Hey,
    I've drafted my letter to AIB to request the docs. Does this cover what I need?

".....

I hereby request all documents concerning and leading up to our 3 year fixed rate mortgage which expired on the ******* and all letters/documents from AIB to our house from that point in time to the present date.

I would also be obliged for a complete statement in relation to our mortgage account, from its inception to date.
    "

I picked up all docs yesterday from AIB. Any advice on what to do next please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

If you don't know where to start spend the money and go visit a professional like Padraic kissane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 charlie_81

Hi

I tried to post on the askaboutmoney butit says i do not have sufficient privileges
    I was just wondering if anyone has contacted IBIG about the AIB tracker redress? They were all over the radio and internet a few months ago. I finally got all the info from the bank and revenue they were looking for and was reading through the terms and conditions. It says in their that their fee is 20%. Is this very high? Just wondering if anyone else was using them and if the 20% is normal?

Cheers in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

If you haven't appealed you should do so now step by step guide here

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-making-an-appeal-on-the-aib-%E2%82%AC1615-tracker.211551/ also spread the word the more people who appeal the better chance this has of gaining some traction.

tnegun wrote: »
    If you haven't appealed you should do so now step by step guide here

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-making-an-appeal-on-the-aib-%E2%82%AC1615-tracker.211551/ also spread the word the more people who appeal the better chance this has of gaining some traction.

I requested the appeal pack over the phone today. I was told it would take 5 working days. My wife actually downloaded an appeals pack a few minutes ago so I'll get working on that and have the info ready to go back to them once the original appeals pack arrives.

I've also popped them a GDPR data request too, so we'll see how that goes.

https://aib.ie/dataprotection/right-of-access-to-information

I requested the pack last week and am awaiting it.

I missed the GDPR data request info - can you please elaborate Battlecorp?

Thanks in advance

everlast75 wrote: »
    I requested the pack last week and am awaiting it.

I missed the GDPR data request info - can you please elaborate Battlecorp?

Thanks in advance

The link is on this page. It's not absolutely necessary but I'd like to know that all the paperwork they have on file is correct. I've heard stories about people getting copies of their mortgage contracts that had certain pages missing etc. I've all my original paperwork so I'll be going after them if they send me out stuff with pages missing.

https://aib.ie/dataprotection/right-of-access-to-information

Just to give this a bump and an update I've contacted my local TD to try raise awareness of this issue over the next week or too if anyone else on here wants to do the same

Just in case anyone comes across this thread it takes 5 days fro BDO to acknowledge your appeal so should be submitted at least 5 days before the 12 month deadline to be safe.

tnegun wrote: »
    Just in case anyone comes across this thread it takes 5 days fro BDO to acknowledge your appeal so should be submitted at least 5 days before the 12 month deadline to be safe.

Registered post is a great thing.

• Advertisement

Gentle reminder and thread bump deadline for most is Friday 15th

Advertisement