Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gandalfio wrote: »
    I see. But not all first time buyers that are ELIGIBLE for HTB qualify for mortgages big enough to buy new builds with. Even with the extra capital from the HTB.

Right much in the same way as a first/second/third time buyer I don’t earn enough to buy a €5m island/mansion combination off the coast of Cork/Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Right much in the same way as a first/second/third time buyer I don’t earn enough to buy a €5m island/mansion combination off the coast of Cork/Kerry.

If new builds weren't inflated by the HTB, people on lower incomes might be able to afford them in more cases.

In the majority of cases the scheme benefits higher earners, people who can already get a high enough mortgage to purchase a newly built home and don't need the HTB. Many of those on lower incomes can't afford the inflated house prices and although they have their HTB application approved, never get to avail of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

If new builds weren't inflated by the HTB, people on lower incomes might be able to afford them in more cases.

There are other schemes available also such as Rebuilding Ireland mortgages but yes it is still difficult to afford a new build for first time buyers depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalex15

Perhaps, people on lower incomes should be looking at second hand houses?

If anything, new developments will keep second hand prices more stable. In locations where there's a lot of new development, second hand houses might strugle to sell with inflated prices.

• Advertisement

A lot of second hand houses need thousands put into them in renovations/upgrading. Not to mention up to 20k to insulate them properly. A HTB rebate would really help people with this.

A lot of second hand houses need thousands put into them in renovations/upgrading. Not to mention up to 20k to insulate them properly. A HTB rebate would really help people with this.
    and that doesn't increase housing stock, which is the sole purpose of the help to buy scheme? I'm surprise how you're not getting this?

and that doesn't increase housing stock, which is the sole purpose of the help to buy scheme? I'm surprise how you're not getting this?

I haven't said that I don't get the fact that the HTB increases housing stock. It does. This is a discussion thread about the HTB scheme and I'm discussing aspects about the scheme.

The sole purpose of the scheme is not as you say above. Have a read about the scheme and what it's intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

The vast majority of first time buyers would have to save for years to save up enough for a deposit while renting. Now they can get 30 grand and essentially dont need savings so makes the dream of owning a new home a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 littlemiss023

Hi everyone,
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but I just saw this morning that "Purchasers will now be able to reclaim up to 10% (to a maximum of €30,000) of the price of a new home costing up to €500,000. This is increased from the previous 5% / €20,000 limits for Help to Buy"

Previously, this meant that if I was buying a house for 300k, I needed a 5% deposit and the help to buy scheme did the other 5%. What does this mean now? I've tried reading into it but I find it a bit confusing
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Right now there's a rake of people who had planned on buying this year who are now instead content to ride out another year and saving more in order to buy next year if there's a downturn in prices. The uncertainty of the market has definitely put a lot of people on the fence.

It's clear to me that this scheme change from now until December is specifically to get those people off the fence with a carrot of an extra 5% that is potentially not going to be there in 2021.

This is trying to ensure that developers who have had delays to building and completion of phases get their current stock sale agreed so they can continue to build and plan for new ones next year.

I'm not convinced that helping FTB's is the primary motivator here and if prices are going up the government won't be happy with the optics of that but also I think they'll be satisfied if this scheme increases sales and gives developers more certainty about continuing to build.

Am interested to view the debate today - will this be broadcast live and does anyone know rough time?

The vast majority of first time buyers would have to save for years to save up enough for a deposit while renting. Now they can get 30 grand and essentially dont need savings so makes the dream of owning a new home a reality.

30 grand paid in taxes over the previous 4 years. You still need to have saved a significant proportion of the deposit yourself. The 10% can't be solely from HTB or gifts.

The sole purpose of the scheme is not as you say above. Have a read about the scheme and what it's intended for.

I have read it and availed of it, I'm well aware what it was intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

I contacted my local td for clarity on whether people can claim the extra 10k if they already claimed 20k a few months ago.

The response was 'The extension on the htb scheme was effective from 24th July' so a contract on a new build must be claimed after this date to be eligible to claim an extra 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Am interested to view the debate today - will this be broadcast live and does anyone know rough time?[/quote]

Would also be interested to see this. I thought it was on Thursday but maybe it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Am interested to view the debate today - will this be broadcast live and does anyone know rough time?

Would also be interested to see this. I thought it was on Thursday but maybe it is today.

Seanad tomorrow I think, Dail today

• Registered Users Posts: 5 littlemiss023

does this new increase mean that If I saw a new home for 320k, the government will give me 30k and I just need 2k deposit saved?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

does this new increase mean that If I saw a new home for 320k, the government will give me 30k and I just need 2k deposit saved?

Yes, so long as you've paid at least 30k in tax in the last 4 years.

awec wrote: »
    Yes, so long as you've paid at least 30k in tax in the last 4 years.

I don't think this will be how the banks approach it. When it was 5% it meant you needed 50% deposit saved yourself. Banks are still going to want to see a consistent pattern of savings over 12 months or so and a decent savings contribution towards your deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's a really valid point gandalfio.

How will the banks approach the reduced deposit requirements?

Are we going to see coupled forced to save €30k over a year to prove capacity to pay, even though their contribution to the deposit might only be €3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 arelyn

I guess bank will still follow their initial plan of seeing your savings pattern for over 12months before they will hand out approval in principles

This will be necessary to provide proof on the convenience of paying back the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Graham wrote: »
    That's a really valid point gandalfio.

How will the banks approach the reduced deposit requirements?

Are we going to see coupled forced to save €30k over a year to prove capacity to pay, even though their contribution to the deposit might only be €3k.

Would a bank necessarily need to see 30k in savings to satisfy repayment capacity if there is track record of rent payments + some savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

LeineGlas wrote: »
    Would a bank necessarily need to see 30k in savings to satisfy repayment capacity if there is track record of rent payments + some savings?

They will stress test your capacity to pay
    If your rent and savings are more than your monthly mortgage and you have a good credit history you should be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

Got a response from revenue on the changing HTB. Looks like to avail of the change you'll have to cancel your application and create a new one. They won't update automatically.

"Amendments to the Help to Buy scheme were announced as part of the Governments July Jobs Stimulus Plan last week. The changes to the scheme along with a number of other fiscal measures have been set out in the Financial Provisions (Covid-19) (No.2) Bill 2020, which was published on 24 July 2020.

In summary, the proposed legislation provides that where applicants sign a contract for the purchase of a new house or apartment, or make the first draw down of the mortgage in the case of a self-build property, during the period from 23 July 2020 to 31 December 2020, they will be eligible for increased relief under the Help to Buy scheme to the lesser of:
    · €30,000 (up from €20,000), or
    · 10 per cent (up from 5%) of the purchase price of the new home or of the completion value of the property in the case of self-builds, or
    · the amount of Income Tax and DIRT paid over the four years prior to making the application.

The temporary enhancements to the Help to Buy scheme outlined above are subject to the Bill being passed through the various stages in the Oireachtas before it can be enacted.

Where applicants have made a Help to Buy application with Revenue but believe they satisfy the requirements of the enhanced Help to Buy relief, when the Revenue system is updated to cater for the new enhanced relief, the applicants may cancel their original Help to Buy application and reapply to avail of the increased relief.

Revenue will publish updated guidance on www.revenue.ie in relation to these measures as soon as possible following enactment of the Finance Bill. "

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thekingof60

Has there been any confirmation that the bill did get passed by the Oireachtas today?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 enosis

Has there been any confirmation that the bill did get passed by the Oireachtas today?

Looks like it passed the Dáil, and will be debated on the Seanad, today. "This Bill, which is certified to be a money Bill in accordance with Article 22.2.1° of the Constitution, will be sent to the Seanad."

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paremon2

enosis wrote: »

Thanks. Does anyone know if Bills can be amended in the Dail AND the Seanad or is it just one or the other (i.e. Dail only or Seanad only)?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paremon2

Paremon2 wrote: »
    Thanks. Does anyone know if Bills can be amended in the Dail AND the Seanad or is it just one or the other (i.e. Dail only or Seanad only)?

I got my answer. Amendments can be made in the Dail or Seanad. Ref https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2020/19/ (hover over the different stages to view details).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 arelyn

Hello Guys
    What's the story with the Bill?..I recognized that the bill has passed through the Dail and seanad 5stages of debate and it's about to be signed into law by the president but my concern is that the section 8 that borders on the Help to Buy increment was opposed both in the Dail and Seanad.

Does this mean that section of the bill won't be included in the actual law and the increment from 5% to 10% is as good as dead?

Anyone with a better understanding of the process should please shed more light on this

Advertisement