Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Council house timeframe??

Options
  • 27-02-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi folks, so im on the housing list just shy of 10 years BUT I was told by a lady that works in the council that I'm in the top 50 on the list and that my details were sent off for garda clearance, this all sounds like very good news to me but I'm terrified of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed, as another lady contradicted the first and only confirmed the garda vetting.

Can anyone tell me how soon you got an offer after garda vetting??

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP I've moved your post to State Benefits where you may get more responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

RuasMum wrote: »
    Hi folks, so im on the housing list just shy of 10 years BUT I was told by a lady that works in the council that I'm in the top 50 on the list and that my details were sent off for garda clearance, this all sounds like very good news to me but I'm terrified of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed, as another lady contradicted the first and only confirmed the garda vetting.

Many thanks

They typically only garda vet when they are ready to make an offer so you could be hearing from them very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Weller81

RuasMum wrote: »

Many thanks

Hi RuasMum

Fingal County Council housing list for the Balbriggan area moved by approximately 200 places last year. So on that list, in the top 50 would seem to equate 3 months. However, every list is different and it is hard to quantify exactly.

Garda Vetting currently takes 8 to 10 weeks, I wasnt aware that it was a requirement for housing (I think it's great that it now is).

Best of luck with your application, I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

Weller81 wrote: »
    Hi RuasMum

Fingal County Council housing list for the Balbriggan area moved by approximately 200 places last year. So on that list, in the top 50 would seem to equate 3 months. However, every list is different and it is hard to quantify exactly.

Garda Vetting currently takes 8 to 10 weeks, I wasnt aware that it was a requirement for housing (I think it's great that it now is).

I was garda vetted 3 years ago as part of the decision to give my family a home, and a friend was vetted 6 years ago so its def a good thing

i grew up with the stigma of rough housing estates and they were all council estates, growing up in corks north side, and im very happy to report that in an estate of 45 council houses, it couldnt be more peaceful, and id say thats in part to vetting

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Weller81

wifey28 wrote: »
    I was garda vetted 3 years ago as part of the decision to give my family a home, and a friend was vetted 6 years ago so its def a good thing

i grew up with the stigma of rough housing estates and they were all council estates, growing up in corks north side, and im very happy to report that in an estate of 45 council houses, it couldnt be more peaceful, and id say thats in part to vetting

Couldnt agree more. Council housing should go to those in need who are responsible and decent people. Families like yours. We surrendered a housing association house because of harassment and intimidation from neighbours 10 years ago. I made the mistake of reporting their open drug dealing to the Guards. We have a disabled daughter and we have struggled financially at times renting privately since but we were genuinely fearful living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RuasMum

They typically only garda vet when they are ready to make an offer so you could be hearing from them very soon

I honestly hope so, its just knowing that we're almost passed the finish line but not knowing where that finish line is!

Very frustrating but very exciting news in equal measure.

Hi RuasMum

Hi Weller81, since posting I have discovered the vetting is taking 3 weeks, I wonder is it different lengths of time for different counties/counsels.

I'm grasping at straws but I'm thinking and hoping once the vetting is in, they'll move very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Vetting is just a chance for the guards to check that incompatible people aren't put into the same estate.

There is no criminal conviction that disqualifies a person from being eligible for council housing (expect perhaps one for damaging social housing in the past - I'm not sure even about the legality of that.)

Whatever anyone may think about people with convictions getting social housing - they have to live somewhere. Council housing exists for people who cannot afford to house themselves, there's no distinction about why that is.

Thank you everyone for the response, it's been very helpful, I too agree that the garda vetting is a fantastic idea, to help safeguard the residents and the council.

Although regarding the vetting and the offer of a council house, would anyone know specifically where you'd be on the list to have your vetting sent off??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Couldnt agree more. Council housing should go to those in need who are responsible and decent people. Families like yours. We surrendered a housing association house because of harassment and intimidation from neighbours 10 years ago. I made the mistake of reporting their open drug dealing to the Guards. We have a disabled daughter and we have struggled financially at times renting privately since but we were genuinely fearful living there.

That could happen anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

BanditLuke wrote: »
    That could happen anywhere.
    I’ve on a transfer list. I got done for driving offences over 6 years ago. Will that go against me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mag1964

I got a call from the council about updating my records and asking about getting a garda check. Does this mean I might be getting a house

Advertisement