Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent requesting a photo of me

• 22-01-2020 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

I sold my house last year in Ireland. I live aboard and my father arranged the estate agent for the house sale. I came home to sign the contract at my solicitors although I could have done it by skype. All tax matters settled.

Now, the estate agent contacted my father saying the agent requires a photo of me as they are getting audited soon.

This seems weird, I could just send any stock photo.

Is this a usual practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

No, I have recently sold and bought a house and I have never been asked for a photo for the Estate Agent. I had to provide ID to my solicitor only and that was it.

I would be questioning that rationale of the agent why they need this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Auditors require photo ID of the directors of client companies, for money laundering purposes.

Could this be something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Sounds like they more likely want to use you as a testimonial on their website!

Very odd, if they were doing it for know your customer purposes they would need official ID I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Yes, maybe it's a miscommunication and they want need photo id. I don't like sending making copies of photo id either.

I remember showing my ID and proof of address to the solicitor. I can't remember if a copy was made.

I'm not a director. I was a private landlord who sold their only property back home. My father acted as a go between although I had nothing against the agent contacting me directly and I paid the estate agent directly when they sent me an invoice for work preparing the house for sale.

I'm waiting to hear back from the agent to clarify the matter. I appreciate your feedback on your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes, maybe it's a miscommunication and they want need photo id. I don't like sending making copies of photo id either.

I remember showing my ID and proof of address to the solicitor. I can't remember if a copy was made.

I'm not a director. I was a private landlord who sold their only property back home. My father acted as a go between although I had nothing against the agent contacting me directly and I paid the estate agent directly when they sent me an invoice for work preparing the house for sale.

I'm waiting to hear back from the agent to clarify the matter. I appreciate your feedback on your experiences.

Yes you have to provide photo ID. Solicitor probably realised he had none on record. This applies to everyone dealing in financial records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

I had to provide passport photo ID to my estate agent selling my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What can they do to you if you don't give it. Worst case nothing. Tell them no and if the auditor asks they are welcome to phone you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The agent is required to carry out anti money laundering procedures in order to identify their client. Not providing him with the documents will land him in trouble. Why be awkward. It is a low thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You are required to provide copy of ID to both estate agent and solicitor - part of anti money laundering legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Enzo Repulsive Rosemary

Copy of your ID and a utility bill required BY LAW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You are required to provide copy of ID to both estate agent and solicitor - part of anti money laundering legislation.
    Copy of your ID and a utility bill required BY LAW.

Actually the agent and solicitor are required to obtain them which they failed to do. Complying with it now will allow them to sidestep an adverse report. They have failed and are due the adverse report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Enzo Repulsive Rosemary

Marcusm wrote: »
    Actually the agent and solicitor are required to obtain them which they failed to do. Complying with it now will allow them to sidestep an adverse report. They have failed and are due the adverse report!

I hope you don't ever make such a small mistake in your own life mr / miss perfect.

You'd want to be some shi1thead to go causing hassle like that. Can't imagine it'd do your name any good in the locality either.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I hope you don't ever make such a small mistake in your own life mr / miss perfect.

You'd want to be some shi1thead to go causing hassle like that. Can't imagine it'd do your name any good in the locality either.

The estate agent not complying with AML regs is hardly a small mistake. Arguably the agent is causing hassle for the OP and their father.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes it seems like a relatively recent thing - I didn't have to provide id when I sold 2 years ago but this time I had to supply photo id and proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can't imagine it'd do your name any good in the locality either.
    So, they want a copy of one's passport or they will go around bad mouthing?

What a facile response. I didn’t suggest causing trouble. If they are not competent enough to gather it when required, I wouldn’t trust them with it later and there is certainly no obligation to provide it when the contract is completed. I’d guess you don’t appreciate the learning opportunities which arise in circumstances like this but prefer to prepare fraudulent client files instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I’m an estate agent. The PSRA the licensing body requires every agent to have an AML policy which includes performing a risk assessment of every client part of which is seeking photo ID and utility bill. It looks like your agent in preparing for their audit has realised they don’t have this ID on file. It’s a small thing but why don’t you just give it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It’s a small thing but why don’t you just give it to them.
    They requested a picture of him, not photo ID. This is why the OP thought it odd.

the_syco wrote: »
    They requested a picture of him, not photo ID. This is why the OP thought it odd.

Photo v photo ID...surely a misunderstanding quickly resolved by contacting them rather than starting a thread on boards

I’m an estate agent. The PSRA the licensing body requires every agent to have an AML policy which includes performing a risk assessment of every client part of which is seeking photo ID and utility bill. It looks like your agent in preparing for their audit has realised they don’t have this ID on file. It’s a small thing but why don’t you just give it to them.

The reason why they should not provide it relates to a concern that the EA might use it to assert/suggest that they had obtained it at the appropriate time. An EA which acknowledges it’s failing to the regulatory authority is fine. Fact is, failure to obtain appropriate AML evidence facilitates they introduction of dirty money into the financial system. This can’t be remedied later by someone such as an EA who has no ongoing relationship with the customer. It would be entirely inappropriate to facilitate a cover up of the EA’s failure to conduct appropriate AML/KYC. Unlike a bank/solicitor/accountant, an EA rarely has an ongoing relationship. Accordingly such false “remediation” of records simply perpetuates a lack of appropriate compliance procedures.

• Advertisement

The reason why they should not provide it relates to a concern that the EA might use it to assert/suggest that they had obtained it at the appropriate time. An EA which acknowledges it’s failing to the regulatory authority is fine. Fact is, failure to obtain appropriate AML evidence facilitates they introduction of dirty money into the financial system. This can’t be remedied later by someone such as an EA who has no ongoing relationship with the customer. It would be entirely inappropriate to facilitate a cover up of the EA’s failure to conduct appropriate AML/KYC. Unlike a bank/solicitor/accountant, an EA rarely has an ongoing relationship. Accordingly such false “remediation” of records simply perpetuates a lack of appropriate compliance procedures.

Jesus your full of yourself

Jesus your full of yourself

Not at all; it's simply that most quasi-professionals such as estate agents don't realise that these are important requirements and not a box-ticking exercise which can simply be made up later on. Over the past decade, tens of billions of dirty money has been washed through London property alone. While Ireland does noo have this same scale, fewer opportunities would have existed for John Gilligan et al in the past if front line operators such as estate agents had higher standards of probity. That's why they have been finally introduced. It would be disappointing if they could be circumvented in the manner which you expect. By your response, it is clear that neither the PSRA nor the SCSI has been successful in communicating this!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You’re some piece of work... so he made a little mistake , no need to be a prick. These things happen, provide the ID.
    It may be more hassle if they authorities suspect there was money laundering and go after the OP.

If someone working in a shop gives you back to much , do you keep it to teach them a lesson, or do you do the decent thing and give it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I'm with MarcusM on this one, at least for now.

If the estate agent was direct and honest and said, it looks like we forgot to get a copy of ID etc can we get that now, I'm guessing that the OP would have complied.
    BUT
    It would appear the only reason they are seeking it is because they are due to be audited, on the face of it, the estate agent is willing to turn a blind eye to regulations as long as they get paid.

I may be wrong in my assumption but that's my opinion on the matter, OP, why not date the image /copy of ID and ensure regulatory body knows what to look for.

When I make mistakes in my work it costs me personally thousands of Euro, I try not to make many mistakes, I don't have the luxury of being able to cover up a mistake if I make it.... I admit an error and accept responsibility.

ted1 wrote: »
    You’re some piece of work... so he made a little mistake , no need to be a prick. These things happen, provide the ID.
    It may be more hassle if they authorities suspect there was money laundering and go after the OP.

If someone working in a shop gives you back to much , do you keep it to teach them a lesson, or do you do the decent thing and give it back?

Thanks for the personal attack; it says more about you than it does about me.

Of course, I would point out an error in a shop - that’s entirely consistent with the approach I’ve adopted here.

Your comment that the “authorities ... [may] ... go after the OP” displays a lack of familiarity with or ignorance of the purpose of the rules. The fact that the EA does not gather the ID does not increase the perceived risk of the OP and would not prompt any further investigation of the client. Instead it indicates that the EA does not have sufficient procedures to meet its obligations. Seeking to obtain the proofs late displays a lack of integrity which is much more worrying from the perspective of the regulator. Incompetence is not so bad as a tendency to dissemble and cover up.

The approach taken by the EA indicates that they are likely to want to cover up rather than deal with their failings. This makes them a much higher risk. To take your shop example, it is as if the shop worker is aware that the till scans an item at the wrong price but, instead of fixing it, relies on memory to try and change the price each time it is scanned in the future. The underlying problem isn’t addressed and the opportunities for failure multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The approach taken by the EA indicates that they are likely to want to cover up rather than deal with their failings.

Cover up or put right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Sold in recently and was asked to give copy of Id and recent bill to my estate agent.. I was informed it was to comply with regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cover up or put right ?

Cover up.

The AML procedure should have been followed at the time of the sale. It wasn't. Who knows what else was wrong with things.

Cover up or put right ?

You can’t put it right after the event for a one-off transaction; that is why I distinguished between EAs and others with AML/KYC obligations who have ongoing responsibilities. EAs dealing with a sale gave a once-off opportunity.

• Advertisement

Steer55 wrote: »
    Sold in recently and was asked to give copy of Id and recent bill to my estate agent.. I was informed it was to comply with regulations

This is what they have to do as part of the client on-boarding procedures, ie before marketing your property. In the OP’s case the house is long sold and it is too late for the EA to remediate the position.

Advertisement