Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it reasonable to ask the landlord to replace the couch and blinds

124»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The point people are making here is that its very likely to trigger a rent increase if the op is well below market rate.

It's only natural, if you had to spend money on something and there was a way to recoup it spending the money would remind you to go about recouping it.

No it isn't ffs. It's a sofa. A cheap one at that.

This faux concern for the OPs rent is really nothing more than not-so-subtle insinuations that tenants should just shut up and not have the audacity to ask for dead furniture to be replaced, unless they want the landlord to hit them financially in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Sorry now but its the landlords responsibility to have the apartment in good condition regardless or rent price.

This isn’t quite true.

Certainly you would expect furnishings to be in good order when advertising a property for rent. This used to be in self interest as a nice property, well presented, could attract a higher rental price. Now however, that is less beneficial to the owner as the rent is often capped in RPZs. Demand is such that it is less important to spend a lot on making a property desirable.

But over the period of a tenancy, both LL and tenant accept that wear & tear occurs, this is why LLs must allow for it and cannot deduct it from deposits. But a LL is not required to replace an item just because the tenant doesn’t like the look of it. As I posted earlier, I wouldn’t have a problem replacing a sofa/blind like this, but they are still fit for purpose, you can sit on the sofa and the blind is not broken. Therefore, saying the LL has a “responsibility” to change it is subjective. I am not aware of an RTB case where a LL was forced to replace a couch because it looks bad, but there may well be one.

awec wrote: »

This faux concern for the OPs rent is really nothing more than not-so-subtle insinuations that tenants should just shut up and not have the audacity to ask for dead furniture to be replaced, unless they want the landlord to hit them financially in return.

That scenario may be distasteful, but it is a real possibility, the LL may be prompted to cover any costs by increasing rent. Of course, that is assuming the rent is not at the max allowable already. This is the reality of LL-tenant relations at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

The quicker non furnished flats become the norm here the better, we probably one of the only EU countries that provide such luxuries such as a cheap couch and raggy blind.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Steer55 wrote: »
    The quicker non furnished flats become the norm here the better, we probably one of the only EU countries that provide such luxuries such as a cheap couch and raggy blind.

Nothing stopping any landlord letting a place unfurnished outside of the legally obligated white goods / cooker / oven.

IMO they'd have no shortage of people looking to rent it.

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping any landlord letting a place unfurnished outside of the legally obligated white goods / cooker / oven.

Though it certainly would suit those with their own furnishings already, I doubt it would appeal to most renters. In the current climate I can’t see many people spending a couple of thousand on furnishings if there is a risk you could be moved out or rent increased yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I'd jump at the chance to rent out an unfurnished place. But the ones that have been on the market are priced the same as furnished ones so why would you bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I'd jump at the chance to rent out an unfurnished place. But the ones that have been on the market are priced the same as furnished ones so why would you bother.

So you won't jump at the chance as you expect a discount that no landlord is going to give you.

Pretty unreasonable to expect it cheaper and I do understand in theory it means less costs. In reality it means so little and actually increases other issues. Tenants would leave furniture behind or stuff that doesn't fit would be rammed in. Been there and will never do it again and certainly wouldn't give a discount

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I've had situations in the past where I was too nice to the landlord and didn't ask for replacement of very old furniture and then after the tenancy them using it as an excuse to hold part of the deposit.

One seemed to genuinely think that a probably 20 year old couch when we moved in was almost like new and we had ruined it.
    Dav010 wrote: »

But over the period of a tenancy, both LL and tenant accept that wear & tear occurs, this is why LLs must allow for it and cannot deduct it from deposits.

<MOD SNIP>
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The other factor is tenants would just leave the furniture behind. You would not believe how often tenants leave stuff behind as is.

The next tenant may find that furniture and stuff really useful though and could even save them time and money on buying their own replacements.
    And if not, then they can throw it away.

Tenants before me left a TV, books, board games, bar-stools, coat hangers, tool-kit, and loads of cleaning products. I found most of that pretty handy. Luckily the landlord didn't dump it all before I moved in. He did ask me if I wanted any of it, I told him yes I'll keep it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Yes people can advertise anyway they want but the whole point of it is to cater to at least 90pc of your target audience. That’s why most rentals have generic paint, white/wood kitchen cabinets etc. By advertising unfurnished, there will be a very small amount of people looking for that type of property. This is a culture thing here in Ireland and the only way this will truly change is no1 ll are obligated by law to rent unfurnished or no2, there is financial incentives for ll to advertise unfurnished. Without either of these, ll will always advertise and stay within the local “norm”

• Advertisement

I’ll give you a perfect example of this:

If your car insurance goes up in price. Do you just pay up and shut up OR do you shop around and try and recoup your costs/minimise them.

If a landlord costs go up. What do you genuinely think a ll will do?

I’m not saying a tenant should pay up and shut up, but like everything, you need to play the game and be smart. Just because your the best and brightest in your job doesn’t mean you will get the promotion. There are so many other social variables at play and if you don’t see that. It’s on you.

Completely agree. Trust me as a ll. I don’t want the hassle of dealing with all this furniture crap. It’s not like ill be putting in something good. As others have said. We put something in that is cheap and durable. That’s all that’s important as a ll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

To be honest I have a good relationship with me landlord. I have never met him in person. I told him a while back I was thinking of moving out and he said 'ah no' He said I am his best ever tenant. My rent is not expensive , I moved in almost 5 years ago . At the time it was 500 a month, there has been 2 increases since then. up to 550 after 2 years and up to 600 2 years after that which was 9 months ago. I think he wanted to charge a little more but for some reason he couldn't. A 2 bedroom here is 850 so he could probably manage to get 700 if I moved out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    To be honest I have a good relationship with me landlord. I have never met him in person. I told him a while back I was thinking of moving out and he said 'ah no' He said I am his best ever tenant. My rent is not expensive , I moved in almost 5 years ago . At the time it was 500 a month, there has been 2 increases since then. up to 550 after 2 years and up to 600 2 years after that which was 9 months ago. I think he wanted to charge a little more but for some reason he couldn't. A 2 bedroom here is 850 so he could probably manage to get 700 if I moved out

If that's the case you could ask, in my opinion. He should be able to get a better one.

saabsaab wrote: »
    If that's the case you could ask, in my opinion. He should be able to get a better one.

I actually thought the opposite. He is 30pc below market rate. Similar to the debates with reit vs private ll. what do you value more. Cheaper rent or better services?

Fol20 wrote: »
    I actually thought the opposite. He is 30pc below market rate. Similar to the debates with reit vs private ll. what do you value more. Cheaper rent or better services?

I was using 600 v 700 which is roughly 85% of market rate? Plus the LL seems happy with them. Anyway it's up to the OP and they wanted advice.

Haven’t read the whole thread but you went half with him to paint HIS property...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The fact that the landlord has a good tenant and doesn't live nearby is probably why he is happy with below the market rate. He could be getting another 100 a month but be up and down the road a couple of times a month sorting out stuff for a demanding tenant. I reckon go for it OP.

Here's one for 429 euro. https://www.dfs.ie/zeta/zet13hrvv?origin=All_Fabric_Sofas

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_couch/county-Waterford/sortby_price-asc

Above nice ones nearby, sellers might deliver and LL take from rent?

More here;

https://www.donedeal.ie/livingroom?words=couch&area=Waterford

Some sellers will deliver too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

Imagine you rented a car for a month but it was defective and couldn't get above 20km/h, and you brought it into them and they said "your complaint is subjective and we refute it, the car still technically drives, we're not doing anything about it cause we're investing in this other thing instead."

You'd laugh in their face and demand your money back.

Yes, but the risk you'd take is that they'll laugh in your face and take the car back from you because their relative needs to drive it and then turn around and rent it to one of the thousands of desperate carless people lined up behind you for twice the price you were paying, and you'll be walking everywhere for the next six months or carpooling with half a dozen random strangers in a Micra because there are no cars to be had anywhere in town (or at least none you can afford).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Enough with the unnecessary analogies. This isn’t a complex topic that nobody understands, it’s fairly basic.

OP, this is part of being an adult. Ignore the children cowering afraid to open their mouths. If that is genuine wear and tear (not pet damage over 2 years) simply ask the landlord to replace. Worst case scenario she says no. Now is a good time, January sales are still on. Get on with it.

For those expecting lower rent for unfurnished, it is a different offering for a different part of the market. Unfurnished is generally the same, or more expensive, not cheaper. The tenants are older, with families, don’t settle for student-style lets. Fixtures and fittings are better quality. Windows, heating, kitchen etc are higher end. The type of house you don’t know is rented basically. They don’t want to have the cost of storing their stuff.

Op, one more time. Do it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

pwurple wrote: »
    Enough with the unnecessary analogies. This isn’t a complex topic that nobody understands, it’s fairly basic.

OP, this is part of being an adult. Ignore the children cowering afraid to open their mouths. If that is genuine wear and tear (not pet damage over 2 years) simply ask the landlord to replace. Worst case scenario she says no. Now is a good time, January sales are still on. Get on with it.

For those expecting lower rent for unfurnished, it is a different offering for a different part of the market. Unfurnished is generally the same, or more expensive, not cheaper. The tenants are older, with families, don’t settle for student-style lets. Fixtures and fittings are better quality. Windows, heating, kitchen etc are higher end. The type of house you don’t know is rented basically. They don’t want to have the cost of storing their stuff.

Op, one more time. Do it today.

What are you on about. Absolute nonsense. I've seen unfurnished houses for rent that are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Ive been renting in my current apartment for 5 years. Its a bog standard 1 bed. I have been thinking of moving out because I feel the place is a bit drab. The Blinds are well worn and the couch is hideous. Am I entitled to ask the landlord replace these things. Ive been a very good tenant. Always paid rent on time and any odd job that needed to be done I paid it myself and took it out of the rent . The walls were badly in need of a painting before I moved in and I agreed to go halves with him. Attached is the blind in my room and the couch

A cheap item like the blinds, just get something you yourself like from Ikea or Dunnes, same with shower curtain, iron, anything you have been using for a long time and costs under €30 or €40. Expensive item like sofa the landlord should replace. This is how it is done in Spain, small items or minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant, big items that of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How has this gone 10 pages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

How has this gone 10 pages...

Only if you're doing it wrong. 3 pages for me. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok I think this thread has ran its course.
    So before it descends I to caps :)

OP, it’s a reasonable request. Talk to the landlord.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement