Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before I cancel my Prime Video subscription...

• 09-01-2020 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

A few months ago I bought a Fire Stick. I already had a Roku so I bought the Fire Stick specifically for Prime Video.

I didn't want to buy that crappy 'basic' Fire Stick so I ordered a standard one from Argos UK. As a result the Prime Video app won't work. I have the US app which is useless here. It has a built in browser, Silk, and I can watch Prime Video using that. However it freezes every five or ten minutes. It's not just the video that freezes, it freezes so badly the entire Fire Stick stops working so I have to get up every few minutes to plug the cable out and in again.

I also bought a Fire HD 8 Tablet recently. There's no way of mirroring it to the Fire Stick. I read that I could connect it using a HDMI to USB dongle. I bought one but all I'm getting is a blank screen.

Before I cancel my Prime Video subscription is there any way I can watch it on my television without buying any more equipment? Am I wasting my time with the HDMI dongle or am I doing something wrong? I have it in the right port and all. Should I just give up flushing my money down the toilet on this subscription or is there anything else I can try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I have prime video on my Roku Express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Car99 wrote: »
    I have prime video on my Roku Express

I have a Roku Steaming Stick. Prime Video is in the Roku app store but it doesn't work and tells me my device is incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I have a Roku Steaming Stick. Prime Video is in the Roku app store but it doesn't work and tells me my device is incompatible.

I got a Roku express in October £29.99 on Amazon uk . Prime video works no problems.

sugarman wrote: »
    Reset the Fire Stick to factory settings and try it again, there's no reason it shouldn't be working.

...and your tablet doesn't support HDMI out, they removed the feature ages ago. It's only on the original first gen models.
    The Fire Stick works. I just can't use the Prime Video app because it's the American version. I can watch Prime Video on Silk Browser but it keeps crashing. No other app gives me these kind of problems. I've reset the Fire Stick before and it didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

I have it on the Fire Stick, but I find that I am now mostly casting it from an iPad via Chromecast. Works quite well, if only the content was better!!

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Why is it the American version if bought in Argos UK???

They want Irish customers to buy the basic Fire Stick which is a crippled version of the US/UK one. Amazon won't even ship the standard Fire Stick to Ireland. There's a warning on the Amazon page that "This product only ships to the United Kingdom. Most content and services will not work if your country of residence is not the UK." I really don't know any more than that.

I've now cancelled Prime Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Was your Amazon Prime account the UK one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Did you contact Amazon support? You have to contact them on chat to change region lots of us did it to change to UK accounts to avail of the premier League football over the break

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Did you contact Amazon support? You have to contact them on chat to change region lots of us did it to change to UK accounts to avail of the premier League football over the break

I did this as well. Sorted out in minutes!

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Was your Amazon Prime account the UK one?

It was a US one. I tried to change my account manually to a UK one. I had to enter an actual UK address so I chanced my arm and used my An Post Address Pal address which didn't work.

How would changing region on chat work? Would they ask for an actual UK address?

How would changing region on chat work? Would they ask for an actual UK address?

Yes, I set mine to the parcel Wizard address and I had a sterling Revolut card as my default payment method. Don't worry Rasheef in Mombai doesn't know or care where Ireland is, they just change you to UK without questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Yes, I set mine to the parcel Wizard address and I had a sterling Revolut card as my default payment method. Don't worry Rasheef in Mombai doesn't know or care where Ireland is, they just change you to UK without questions.

Hi THHB,

just in relation to that, how do you set up the revolut card as sterling by default?
    I am looking to renew a fire unlimited subscription and teh payment method is coming up as incorrect. i use a revolut card but it has rep of ireland address and this seems to be the problem.

is there anyway to get amazon to accept ROI cards for payments for UK based services?

thanks in advance

cuculainn wrote: »
    Hi THHB,

just in relation to that, how do you set up the revolut card as sterling by default?
    I am looking to renew a fire unlimited subscription and teh payment method is coming up as incorrect. i use a revolut card but it has rep of ireland address and this seems to be the problem.

is there anyway to get amazon to accept ROI cards for payments for UK based services?

thanks in advance

A Revolut card is a sterling card no matter what address you use when you sign up for Revolut. Amazon have no way of seeing your Revolut address only that it's a prepaid sterling debit card. You need to set a UK delivery address and Revolut as default in Amazon then contact Amazon chat to ask them set you as a UK prime account, they may ask you for your UK postcode that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cuculainn

A Revolut card is a sterling card no matter what address you use when you sign up for Revolut. Amazon have no way of seeing your Revolut address only that it's a prepaid sterling debit card. You need to set a UK delivery address and Revolut as default in Amazon then contact Amazon chat to ask them set you as a UK prime account, they may ask you for your UK postcode that is all

hey THHB,

its funny cause i have actually done that for the firestick that i purchased, so to get all the access i got customer service to change location to Uk,
    but still it says the payment method is not valid even though it is a revolut card set as default.

Even if i try to buy or rent a movie on the firestick it states it is not a valid payment method and to update.

Maybe i need to get on to customer service again

Update
    Just checked my account and the address on the revolut card was ROI as default so i changed that to Parcel motel. Hopefully that works

further update

That did not work

I went on Amazon chat and asked them to change my location. The person I talked to said another department is going to email me. I thought it seemed a bit odd.

Only Amazon support can fix it. Get on to them again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭brady12

Iv the same issues . Did all the things with the Revolut , using parcel motel address . Have VPN on aswel . Won’t stream on on the amazon prime tv app. Says error 5505 . Contacted chat and they changed my settings to uk but didn’t work .

Advertisement