Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Left my bike leaning against a wall out back on friday evening just after the down pours when I was moving stuff around in the shed and forgot about it but remembered before bed. Went to wheel it in and felt something wet on my hand ..... covered in slugs :mad:

Ew

nee wrote: »
    Ew

It was unreal, not just in our garden, I had the dog out for a walk earlier in the evening the f'n things were all over the footpaths after that downpour.

It was unreal, not just in our garden, I had the dog out for a walk earlier in the evening the f'n things were all over the footpaths after that downpour.

Eeewwww!
    Poor slugs, if they weren't so slimy #sluglove
    Standing on one or grabbing one by accident on something though *boak*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Eeewwww!
    Poor slugs, if they weren't so slimy #sluglove
    Standing on one or grabbing one by accident on something though *boak*

You know they're quite attracted to beer. One night we had a BBQ in our garden, a few of us stayed later and had a chat after the lights were gone, sipping from the bottle from time to time.... One of the lads suddenly started choking... should I say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Left my bike leaning against a wall out back on friday evening just after the down pours when I was moving stuff around in the shed and forgot about it but remembered before bed. Went to wheel it in and felt something wet on my hand ..... covered in slugs :mad:

Don't worry, the weight of the slugs will be negligible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I’d just get a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

There's plenty of minced slug stuck to my bike after the Celtic Knot 1000.

Last night I saw a hedgehog eating roadkill in the middle of the road.

Yesterday I've reached for my under-the-downtube bottle and .. yeah... good there was a protective cap on the nozzle.

Poor chaps, you are what you eat, they say... I guess its the same story with badgers, seen at least 4 killed this weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've seen an unsettling amount of dead seagulls around Dublin 9/11/15. Not the usual bird I'd see squished on a road side.

Also, whatever about slugs. I've stored all.my bikes and bits at parents (unfortunately in shed) as I'm waiting on keys to new house. There's already one mahoosive spider lurking close to my good bike.

It might be the most reasonable excuse for a new bike if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »
    under-the-downtube bottle

???

Edit: Just googled it. I never knew about them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In kinsale for a few days. Amazing how choked with cars it is.

You know they're quite attracted to beer. One night we had a BBQ in our garden, a few of us stayed later and had a chat after the lights were gone, sipping from the bottle from time to time.... One of the lads suddenly started choking... should I say more?

485961.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In kinsale for a few days. Amazing how choked with cars it is.
    This is a weird town. In a way, great fun for a cyclist, loads of short 100 or 200m sharp climbs, lots of up and down. But nothing gets in the way of cars here. Tiny narrow streets where cars are abandoned everywhere, the sort of streets where elsewhere pedestrianisation is a given, but here if you walk where you think you should, you'll find an SUV up your arse in short order. It is *so* much more pleasant to walk around after dark when the cars have largely gone to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

This is a weird town. In a way, great fun for a cyclist, loads of short 100 or 200m sharp climbs, lots of up and down. But nothing gets in the way of cars here. Tiny narrow streets where cars are abandoned everywhere, the sort of streets where elsewhere pedestrianisation is a given, but here if you walk where you think you should, you'll find an SUV up your arse in short order. It is *so* much more pleasant to walk around after dark when the cars have largely gone to sleep.

I was in Carrick-on-Suir recently and it was horrible. Tiny little streets choked with cars. Sean Kelly Square, named in honour of a cyclist is just a car park. There's room for dedicated parking on the outskirts and the whole town centre would take 15 min to cross on foot. The place would be so much nicer that way...

Carrick-on-Suir is a bit of a dump IMO. It's in dire need of rejuvination of some sort. One of the most miserable places I've visited in Ireland in the last number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Got a puncture on the commute home last night & another one on the way in this morning, haven't had a puncture in months! Gonna need to pick up more tubes.

One of the most miserable places I've visited in Ireland in the last number of years

Longford.

Longford.

Funny that, as I would have said Granard after stopping there on a cross country cycle. Another forgotten place I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Weepsie wrote: »
    Funny that, as I would have said Granard after stopping there on a cross country cycle. Another forgotten place I think

I find those places kind of nice in a nostalgic way, Naas depresses the hell out of me as it purely exists for people to be able commute to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Got a puncture on the commute home last night & another one on the way in this morning, haven't had a puncture in months! Gonna need to pick up more tubes.

And tyres perhaps?

Also, repair your tubes and reuse them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I find those places kind of nice in a nostalgic way, Naas depresses the hell out of me as it purely exists for people to be able commute to Dublin.

its ok for that to be case, works ok for Utrecht, problem is reliance on car to do so, imagine Naas as proper hub to dublin with fast connections to city, would work just fine then

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I found this interesting, the altitude challenge.

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/pakistan/pakistani-cyclists-all-set-for-tour-de-khunjerab-2019-on-roof-of-the-world-1.64711290
    Islamabad: One of the world’s highest altitude cycling competitions will take place in Pakistan from June 27 to June 30.

More than 70 Pakistani and international cyclists are set to take part in the Tour de Khunjerab 2019 in Gilgit-Baltistan.

“This is the biggest cycling event [and it is] being held on the roof of the world. The cyclists will begin the race at about 4,500 feet [1,400 metres] in Gilgit and conclude at a record high altitude of 15,500 feet [5,000 metres] above sea level,” Gilgit division commissioner Usman Ahmad said at a press conference in Islamabad on Wednesday.

During the grand tour, the cyclists will cover a distance of nearly 280km, pedalling past Pakistan’s most scenic mountains such as Golden Peak, Lady Finger, Rakaposhi and other mountains.

In the first leg of the race, they will cover nearly 68km starting from Gilgit (altitude, 1,500m) and ending at Ghulmat (2,000m) in Nagar Valley.

The second 35km stage from Ghulmat and finish in Duikar (2,900m) will test the individual strength of the participants. On the third day, cyclists will pedal 92km from Aliabad (2,200m) to Sost (2,800m) in Gojal, Upper Hunza.

The final day of the event will include an 84-km ride from Sost to Khunjerab (4,700m).

The race will culminate at Khunjerab Pass (4,700m), the highest paved international border between Pakistan and China at an altitude of 5,000 metres, which is considered to be the toughest stage. The event will include elevation gain from 850 to 2,000 metres.

“The highest road altitude ever reached in Tour de France is 2,802 metres whereas the Tour de Khunjerab’s final stage starts at 2,800 metres and finishes at 4,700 metres which is a big achievement,” said Pakistan Cycling Federation vice-president Haroon General.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Longford.
    Town
    Decided as a community they wanted to be forgotten. Was once one of the busiest market towns in Ireland, then decided that progress was not for them. I lived right beside it, if not for Pat the Baker's it would be a desolate wasteland by now.

I also stopped in Athboy on that cycle that took in Granard. That was not much better, particularly as Trim wasn't much of a push further and would've been a much nicer place to stop. I'd do my route again, but I'd stop elsewhere

Athy was also quite sad; very grey, ran down and not-positively-busy at the same time when I was there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I spent a few years telling anyone who listened that Granard was, without b out, the most depressing town in Ireland. Then karma struck and my car broke down on the way back from a wedding. Was stranding there for an entire afternoon.
    Athy was also quite sad; very grey, ran down and not-positively-busy at the same time when I was there.

Athy is the neck tattoo capital of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I also stopped in Athboy on that cycle that took in Granard. That was not much better, particularly as Trim wasn't much of a push further and would've been a much nicer place to stop. I'd do my route again, but I'd stop elsewhere

Think we have seen that a town that makes the change from status quo can thrive, otherwise you do end up a forgotten country town with nothing to ever attract an outsider to live their, some of wicklow towns are thriving in my opinion, Kilcoole for example, but still could do alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Athy is the neck tattoo capital of Ireland.

729b5027ee9f54e718d64467f9df264db4c49f3056efff14c8cb59690465f856.jpg

Also: Milford, co. Donegal.

I was just passing, stopped to check the route and the look from a few chaps standing in front of the central bookies convinced me I'll be chased by a white van, hit, abducted and slaughtered in a short order. The avg speed getting out of there was pretty good.

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    Think we have seen that a town that makes the change from status quo can thrive, otherwise you do end up a forgotten country town with nothing to ever attract an outsider to live their, some of wicklow towns are thriving in my opinion, Kilcoole for example, but still could do alot more.

I'd agree. I'd say lots in Wicklow are, Arklow might be the exception. It's not terrible or anything, but I always feel like it's really falling short of its potential. gorey isn't too far away and its bustling when I'm there. Arklow is just going through the motions

Advertisement