Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This is a really nasty junction, cars turning right often just go for it, had a few near misses here.
    It's also an area lots of cars have left hooked me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Cycling home through Rialto yesterday, with the OH on her first commute from her relatively new job, and the traffic is backed up as usual, so we're filtering on the left in the cycle track. Cue one clown in a Micra out of nowhere (i.e. traffic is still stationary and has been for as long as we've been nearby, so there is no reason to expect a decision to manoeuvre, and they have not bothered to indicate) electing to turn off the road, and in here. They started the turn as I was alongside, and I just got by, but rather than this near miss and my gesticulating prompting them to check the track for more cyclists, they continue, and nearly clear the OH out of it. We had one bystander (who was nearly a witness to a serious incident) shouting at us to go back and get their registration number, but given my temper at the time, no good was going to come from engaging the moron in the Micra.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Most passes I deal with are not to do with people not seeing me. They are to do with people who do see me, and decide to chance their arm in passing where there is no room to do so. I have 2 lights front, and 2 lights rear. I do have some highvis gear, but I don't always wear it, and I definitely don't agree with RSA's fetish for highvis clothing.

This about sums it up:

Call now logged with traffic watch, awaiting call back from local station.

The person who answered the call on the traffic watch line was fantastic, asked for the details of the incident (which I had a lot of!) and just said she would pass on all information to the local station. I'll keep you all posted with how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

papu wrote: »

This is a really nasty junction, cars turning right often just go for it, had a few near misses here.
    It's also an area lots of cars have left hooked me on.

To be fair, the plant pot isn't helping - I can see how the driver in the clip did not see the cyclist. It's poor driving but if you put a load of lego on the floor eventually you will step on one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Call now logged with traffic watch, awaiting call back from local station.

The person who answered the call on the traffic watch line was fantastic, asked for the details of the incident (which I had a lot of!) and just said she would pass on all information to the local station. I'll keep you all posted with how I get on.

Be prepared to think nothing is ever going to come of it, and weeks later get a call from a garda about it, that has been my experience of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I had a mammywagon overtake me on Sunday on a bend and solid white line on Blackglen road approaching Lamb Doyles from Lambs Cross, taxi driver who came round the bend may have needed to leave his car in for cleaning. She had kids in the car too....given the speed people do along that road at the best of times it made it even more idiotic a move. If she'd met nearly any other car coming round that bend there could have been a nasty accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

So yesterday being the beautiful day it was i decided to cycle to and from work from Swords to the Navan Road, travelling along the back of the airport. Both going into work at 07:30 and returning home in the opposite direction, at approx 17:00 i was passed by a Black Mit Pajero Cavan registered jeep, near where they are erecting the new perimeter fence for the airport. THe Jeep barely gave any clearance on both occassions. The Jeep had a "N" plate clearly displayed in the back window. Just to give anyone else using that route the heads up. I had front and rear lights and an orange night vision jacket on, so was easily visible, in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

roadster5 wrote: »
    So yesterday being the beautiful day it was i decided to cycle to and from work from Swords to the Navan Road, travelling along the back of the airport. Both going into work at 07:30 and returning home in the opposite direction, at approx 17:00 i was passed by a Black Mit Pajero Cavan registered jeep, near where they are erecting the new perimeter fence for the airport. THe Jeep barely gave any clearance on both occassions. The Jeep had a "N" plate clearly displayed in the back window. Just to give anyone else using that route the heads up. I had front and rear lights and an orange night vision jacket on, so was easily visible, in broad daylight.

This bit

I get so annoyed when these forum comments come up from drivers - "I would urge cyclists to wear high-viz gear" - please use your efforts to get other drivers to drive properly, instead of pinning the blame on cyclists all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    This bit

I get so annoyed when these forum comments come up from drivers - "I would urge cyclists to wear high-viz gear" - please use your efforts to get other drivers to drive properly, instead of pinning the blame on cyclists all the time.

Tribal, innit.

Would make a great study for an anthropologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Squeezed whilst out on a solo training spin on Sunday. Scary looking back on it especially when you start considering the relative distances involved.

I am happy to say it was the only incident in what was an 80km spin around North Kildare, but that's not the point. Very reckless driving, especially in comparison with the car directly behind it.

BTW: Anyone know the best way to reset the time on a Fly6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Jesus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the funny thing is that the car giving you more room was technically the one breaking the law, as he put his wheels over a solid white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

TonyStark wrote: »
    Squeezed whilst out on a solo training spin on Sunday. Scary looking back on it especially when you start considering the relative distances involved.

I am happy to say it was the only incident in what was an 80km spin around North Kildare, but that's not the point. Very reckless driving, especially in comparison with the car directly behind it.

Scumbag, hope you're submitting this, that's deliberate endangerment.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

If i recall correctly there's a text file on the memory card that you adjust the time in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

the funny thing is that the car giving you more room was technically the one breaking the law, as he put his wheels over a solid white line.

This got me thinking. Is the solid white line p[art of the problem? I was passed this morning at St Anne's on the coast road in Dublin. Nothing crazy but he only have me about 75cm of a gap. The oncoming lane was completely free of traffic for at least 250m ahead. The next car gave me at least 2m. I am wondering was the first driver conditioned not to cross the white line?

For what its worth during some recent driving lessons I had, in a similar situation , the instructor advised that I could declare the cyclist a "hazard" and that I was ok to cross over the white line. At the subsequent test, the tester confirmed this was correct - this was an advanced driving test.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This got me thinking. Is the solid white line p[art of the problem? I was passed this morning at St Anne's on the coast road in Dublin. Nothing crazy but he only have me about 75cm of a gap. The oncoming lane was completely free of traffic for at least 250m ahead. The next car gave me at least 2m. I am wondering was the first driver conditioned not to cross the white line?

For what its worth during some recent driving lessons I had, in a similar situation , the instructor advised that I could declare the cyclist a "hazard" and that I was ok to cross over the white line. At the subsequent test, the tester confirmed this was correct - this was an advanced driving test.

This was my understanding as well but on the same note, the rules for overtaking do not change. The road still has to be clear ahead and it must be possible to see far enough ahead to presume that the road will remain clear for the duration of the overtake. In most cases, a solid white line is there because this is not possible. It is not always the case, so I would be wary about giving some road users who are clearly not fit to make a decision for themselves the impression that it is grand to do, nor do I like the terminology of hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

To be fair to the tester, the cyclist wasn't a "hazard" just because they were a cyclist. The same terminology would apply to a parked or broken down vehicle, road works etc. It probably isn't the best term - the Germans probably have some wonderfully long word that conveys the idea of "slowish-thing-that-its-ok-to pass-but-be extra-careful-because-that-is-a-white-line". Kinda like "Okumlangsamesachezupassierenaberseiensiebesondersvorsichtigwegenderweißenlinie"

Myself I am quite happy to cross over a solid line when passing any of the above, subject of course to the caveats Cram outlined in the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

..."hazard" and that I was ok to cross over the white line. At the subsequent test, the tester confirmed this was correct - this was an advanced driving test.

Yeah recently I was giving a statement to the Gardai after a dangerously close pass I reported via trafficwatch. One of the points I was making was that on top of everything else the driver crossed a continuous white line. The Guard immediately pointed out this was not an issue, and was technically not an offence and that it was ok for him to do this, for example as you would if someone was walking on the road and you had to cross over.
    I wondered to myself if there had been a collision with an oncoming vehicle would it have mattered then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Strand Road Sandymount yesterday afternoon. Approaching roundabout at Martello tower. Well ahead of following traffic and keeping a good pace. A BIFFO reg. truck overtakes me. At about half way along his length he starts drifting left and turning in on top of me as he was lining up for the roundabout.

Broad daylight. Reflective gear. I am not small ! I fail to understand how he could not have seen me. He probably did but was just intimidating me out of it as he was in a hurry or else it was poor judgment.

I was able to come to a full stop as it would have been lethal to press on. Managed to stop with foot on kerb ready to jump if he came any closer. He stopped and stared via his wing mirror. Nobody died and we all moved on.

What really worries me is that as you approach some roundabouts - including this one - there are railings / pedestrian barriers. If you get trapped between a lorry and one of them you will do well to get away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Looks deliberate to me too.

Is that the big long straight into Allenwood? The closest I've ever been to being hit by a car without actual contact happened on that road a number of years ago. I was a pedestrian.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    What really worries me is that as you approach some roundabouts - including this one - there are railings / pedestrian barriers. If you get trapped between a lorry and one of them you will do well to get away.

I can't understand why those barriers are used. Deadly dangerous things.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I've had a couple of near missed myself at that roundabout at Martello...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Chuchote wrote: »
    I can't understand why those barriers are used. Deadly dangerous things.
    To keep pesky pedestrians out of the way of the important road vehicles.

Have to say that I usually cycle on the pavement (slowly) at Sandymount; it's one of the very few places I do so. People here have pooh-poohed my saying it, but I find that road scary and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Chuchote wrote: »
    Have to say that I usually cycle on the pavement (slowly) at Sandymount; it's one of the very few places I do so. People here have pooh-poohed my saying it, but I find that road scary and dangerous.

Generally, it is alright. Maybe I am just too familiar with it for my own good !

However, there are a few "pinch points" on it and they can certainly be a bit dodgy when traffic volume is high.

Some of the mini-roundabouts can be a bit high risk the way certain motorists negotiate them or, to be more accurate, point the cars at them and hope for the best :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

That whole road is a pain in the hole, the surface is awful, the shíte roundabouts create pinchpoints & the traffic buildup southbound due to the Merrion gates would do your head in. It's a few years since I cycled it so maybe some of that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Looks deliberate to me too.

Is that the big long straight into Allenwood? The closest I've ever been to being hit by a car without actual contact happened on that road a number of years ago. I was a pedestrian.

Yup, you can see for miles ( well to the dips in the road at least ) in either direction. It does look like he swerves in ever so slightly just before he passes by me. I won't use the words overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

So did the scrotebag carrying out a very dangerous manoeuvre. At least one pair of wheels were over the line, not on it at one point. But as pointed out already, that line of thinking wont see much action from the powers-that-be, so it's all a bit academic anyway.
    I had a mammywagon overtake me on Sunday on a bend and solid white line on Blackglen road approaching Lamb Doyles from Lambs Cross, taxi driver who came round the bend may have needed to leave his car in for cleaning. She had kids in the car too....given the speed people do along that road at the best of times it made it even more idiotic a move. If she'd met nearly any other car coming round that bend there could have been a nasty accident.

That road was always crap for cycling RacoonQueen, particularly on the upward slope given how narrow it was. Granted, the road has been widened but all things considered it's still not a particularly wide road ..., as was what is now called Ticknock Park just up from it heading towards the fly-over. It used to be the narrow country-road connecting Lamb Doyles with Ballinteer/Dundrum and I used to cycle up and down those roads to get around Ticknock for mountain-biking when I was much younger and even with less traffic albeit with narrower roads, it sometimes got a bit intimidating when cycling uphill and you've some clownbag sat on your rear-wheel impatiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    This bit

Pat Kenny did about 10-15 minutes of this diversionary victim-blaming this morning while supposedly interviewing Ciaran Cannon. Not just hi-vis, but all the hoary old chestnuts came out - road tax, red lights, no lights, failing to indicate. It was screaming at the radio.

At one stage, Cannon called him out on his victim-blaming and he backed off for a second. The only issue that got any kind of reasonable airing from Pat was the one issue where he had direct personal experience - the rollercoaster cycle lane on the N11. Everything else got blown out of the water with tired old clichés.

There has to be a better way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement