Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

windy and wet in Galway. Be safe out there kids. Lunatics in 141-CW toyota coming out of the college. windows fogged up and not passing a blind bit of heed on the pedestrians or cyclists coming out of the college...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Somedude9 wrote: »
    I cycled through Dublin City for the first time recently. What hit me was of the two dozen cyclists I saw, TWO stopped for red lights.

Yeah its pretty bad alright. Very annoying, these same cyclists will go through the narrowest gaps too, I've had quite a few of them brush against me while I'm waiting at a light. Funny thing is, for cyclists is such a hurry, I've never seen one of them stay ahead of me for very long.

You can even make red lights into a HIT thing I find. I catch my breath during the stops and hammer on harder between the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cython wrote: »
    The Mill, per chance? Noticed when I was in there at the weekend that they have a sign up for being McNSCC coffee stop of the year for 2016, so suspect Mercian Pro is very familiar with it ;) In fact I think there's a picture of him outside it somewhere on this forum!

Otherwise maybe it's Chill in/joined onto Manor Mills?
    The Mill, thank you, it was doing my nut in. As an aside our wee man had a party on saturday so mr & mrs bloggsie had a couple of hours to ourselves so we decided a nice long lunch would be a treat, Chill was pretty full and a good number of cyclists inside.(nice food in there)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Am turbo FTP for me today and an increase plus it was the 20min rather than the 2 x min one, pretty happy with the result.

Strange smell of ammonia of my sweat I think but I did it fasted so maybe I was out of carbs??? Not sure tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Not sure if any others have noticed an annoying cyclist who shouts at other cyclists in an aggressive manner going from town through rathmines? Scared the sh*t out of me one morning. Then noticed him doing it to other people. People not doing much just not going fast enough for him. Cycled after him the time he did to me but he broke a red light at portobello bridge so I couldn't confront him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

gargargar wrote: »
    Not sure if any others have noticed an annoying cyclist who shouts at other cyclists in an aggressive manner going from town through rathmines? Scared the sh*t out of me one morning. Then noticed him doing it to other people. People not doing much just not going fast enough for him. Cycled after him the time he did to me but he broke a red light at portobello bridge so I couldn't confront him.

Maybe he's not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Chuchote wrote: »
    Maybe he's not well.

I was gonna say chasing and confronting odd shouty people is probably not going to improve your day. ;)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I was gonna say chasing and confronting odd shouty people is probably not going to improve your day. ;)

Probably right. I rarely get into anything on the bike. I tend to let things like cars cutting me off etc just go. It's just where someone shouts behind you on a bike it can give you a fright as you are not expecting it.

What does he shout? And what bike does he ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cycled from Raheny to Terenure tonight. Awful wind and rain. Worst of winter so far!!!!

• Advertisement

alentejo wrote: »
    Cycled from Raheny to Terenure tonight. Awful wind and rain. Worst of winter so far!!!!

Bit of wind on the way home tonight. Had to take off the mask for the final km.

What does he shout? And what bike does he ride?

On a racer. He seems to be vaguely on my time schedule 9-5:30. I have seen him do it maybe 4 times in the last month or two, which is a lot given I probably miss him most days. If he is trying to overtake between bikes and cars in a cycle lane he shouts at the people in front to go faster or move. You know its hard to hear as happens fast. Then as I say he shouted beep at me. I was cycling in a bus lane. Not sure what I did wrong but he was gone before I knew.

On a racer. He seems to be vaguely on my time schedule 9-5:30. I have seen him do it maybe 4 times in the last month or two, which is a lot given I probably miss him most days. If he is trying to overtake between bikes and cars in a cycle lane he shouts at the people in front to go faster or move. You know its hard to hear as happens fast. Then as I say he shouted beep at me. I was cycling in a bus lane. Not sure what I did wrong but he was gone before I knew.

Gob****e ^ ^. Its that sense of entitlement that separates the sociopaths from the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Somedude9 wrote: »
    I cycled through Dublin City for the first time recently. What hit me was of the two dozen cyclists I saw, TWO stopped for red lights.

On my cycles (everyday) I see lots of motorists passing red lights when lit - often speeding up to do so...Just sayin...

I have noticed an increase in car drivers breaking red lights too i.e. driving through red lights 3-5 secs after they have turned. KCR at Terenure gets a special mention for offenders.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    On my cycles (everyday) I see lots of motorists passing red lights when lit - often speeding up to do so...Just sayin...

The difference being, a lot of cyclists on my route actually totally ignore lights. I've been at a red for 20 seconds or more, when someone will just run through it as if it wasn't there. While this is bad and breaking the law, its not dangerous to me personally, but god help anyone crossing the road at the time.

What I have noticed though some cyclists will buzz past me (stopped at a red) doing over 25Km.h to jump a red light. Sometimes it's as close as a punishment pass because they are having to go through a narrow gap between me and a car.

That kind of behaviour drives me nuts, I personally don't mind if they kill themselves, that's just evolution, but putting other peoples' health at risk is a different matter.

The number of these idiots drops off steeply once they turn off into UCD.

I have noticed an increase in car drivers breaking red lights too i.e. driving through red lights 3-5 secs after they have turned. KCR at Terenure gets a special mention for offenders.

Yeah, it's getting worse, they are now driving through not just on their red light, but when the other light has been green for a few seconds. This definitely needs to be policed more. All that's needed is a few camera vans in and around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yeah, that junction is particularly bad because it is so long. Going from Wainsfort Road to Kimmage road there is a big gap between the stop line at the lights and the point where you pass the junction, but people just plough on through :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

he is not cycling to or from work/school/therapy, in his wee world he is bombing along on the Paris Nice or Milan San Remo and your not cutting the mustard as his domestique, so he is right to shout at you!

he'll come back to the real world when a bigger shouty person gets the hump and shouts(maybe more than shouts) back.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Big Cycle for me yesterday, only getting the chance to post it now.
    I went up Three Rock Mountain a grand total of 5 times, and then after all that I went up to Glencullen from Lamb Doyles via the Blue Light.
    So 6 major climbs, all the climbs up three rock were up different routes varying between gravel & concrete.
    Did it on my Giant Revolt 1, a "gravel bike". I really do love the bike, it's just so versatile and capable.
    It was a tough cycle no doubt, with it ending up as 68km and 2,193 elevation gain. Quite a lot of ascenting for such a distance. Thankfully the heavy winds yesterday seemed to work in my favour, more acting as a tailwind than headwind.

Link to Strava here:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/874737956
    Happy with that elevation profile, shows my madness!

• Advertisement

Big Cycle for me yesterday, only getting the chance to post it now.
    I went up Three Rock Mountain a grand total of 5 times, and then after all that I went up to Glencullen from Lamb Doyles via the Blue Light.
    So 6 major climbs, all the climbs up three rock were up different routes varying between gravel & concrete.
    Did it on my Giant Revolt 1, a "gravel bike". I really do love the bike, it's just so versatile and capable.
    It was a tough cycle no doubt, with it ending up as 68km and 2,193 elevation gain. Quite a lot of ascenting for such a distance. Thankfully the heavy winds yesterday seemed to work in my favour, more acting as a tailwind than headwind.

Link to Strava here:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/874737956
    Happy with that elevation profile, shows my madness!

Awesome!

What are the trails like around 3rock and Kilmashogue? Makes me want to get a mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

The difference being, a lot of cyclists on my route actually totally ignore lights. I've been at a red for 20 seconds or more, when someone will just run through it as if it wasn't there. While this is bad and breaking the law, its not dangerous to me personally, but god help anyone crossing the road at the time.

What I have noticed though some cyclists will buzz past me (stopped at a red) doing over 25Km.h to jump a red light. Sometimes it's as close as a punishment pass because they are having to go through a narrow gap between me and a car.

That kind of behaviour drives me nuts, I personally don't mind if they kill themselves, that's just evolution, but putting other peoples' health at risk is a different matter.

The number of these idiots drops off steeply once they turn off into UCD.

I have been known to break the odd red light. At night, I cycle through a dodgy area and i feel nervous stopping for too long. I usually come to a stop, wait a few seconds to see if anyone is going to cross or any cars coming, if not I proceed slowly. I wonder if there was a rule of yielding to a red light would cyclists be more likely to slow down and keep going?! I assume there'd always be a few lunatics who'd throw themselves through the red light at everyone's peril.

*as an aside, I find way more pedestrians throw themselves out in front of red lights and saunter across the road as though they have no personal responsibility for their own road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

So 6 major climbs, all the climbs up three rock were up different routes varying between gravel & concrete. Happy with that elevation profile, shows my madness!

Deadly! You got me inspired :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

ronoc wrote: »
    Awesome!

What are the trails like around 3rock and Kilmashogue? Makes me want to get a mountain bike.

They're all in good condition from what I saw, apart from the gravel climb from Petros to the Aerial, where they were doing some tree felling yesterday which blocked the whole path. Seem to be doing a lot of tree cutting, so just watch out for that, you don't want a tree falling on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

To me the fact that many motorists don't stop for the red light at first is more of a reason for cyclists to stop.

Tuesday night I had stopped at a red light at a pedestrian crossing. The first car up to it stopped too. The car behind it (which had been some distance away) actually sped up and over took the first car to go racing through the crossing. Scared the hell out of me to be honest.

Two weeks ago during a weekday afternoon I was stopped at the traffic lights where exchequer street joins georges street. It's a pedestrian crossing with an island in the middle, and as such red light for traffic, green light for walkers. The pedestrian light turned red, light for traffic still red, but obviously there were still people mid cross, one of the cyclists in front of me starts up and goes directly into a lady, and of course he blames her, then cycles off. (She was grand btw, but got a good fright).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

To me the fact that many motorists don't stop for the red light at first is more of a reason for cyclists to stop.

Tuesday night I had stopped at a red light at a pedestrian crossing. The first car up to it stopped too. The car behind it (which had been some distance away) actually sped up and over took the first car to go racing through the crossing. Scared the hell out of me to be honest.

Two weeks ago during a weekday afternoon I was stopped at the traffic lights where exchequer street joins georges street. It's a pedestrian crossing with an island in the middle, and as such red light for traffic, green light for walkers. The pedestrian light turned red, light for traffic still red, but obviously there were still people mid cross, one of the cyclists in front of me starts up and goes directly into a lady, and of course he blames her, then cycles off. (She was grand btw, but got a good fright).

We need to think more about sense and less about rules. (And I hope karma was waiting around the corner for that cyclist.)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Chuffed today did 71km taking in ashford roundwood Laragh Rathdrum glenealy Wicklow and blainroe (my first time doing over 70 on a bike albeit a little slower than I would like) I feel im well on course for the wicklow 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Chuffed today did 71km taking in ashford roundwood Laragh Rathdrum glenealy Wicklow and blainroe (my first time doing over 70 on a bike albeit a little slower than I would like) I feel im well on course for the wicklow 100

Fair play! If you're already doing 70 the Wicklow 100 will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

35km, 2 punctures and the wind up to the featherbeds had a good go at killing me.
    Descending down thru Glenasmole was no fun either in that wind.
    Hope the two lads (one roadie and his mate on a mountain bike) who I met at viewpoint and again on the way up to featherbeds got down safely. I stopped early on but decided to keep going and once the wind hit I thought going to the top was a better option than turning and descending in that.
    Plan was to go up Ballinascorney hill after that but just past the pitch and putt puncture number 1 hit. The man in the club very kindly called me in so I could change the tube, and made me a lovely cup of tea with some biscuits. Still good people out there. That held til I turned off bothar catherine tynan, about 4km from home. Thanks again to the lad who stopped and offered me a tube, but I'd already called the missus to bail me out.
    Got soaked as the heavens opened just as the puncture hit. All in all a waste of time, should have stayed in bed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out with Bikerbhoy and crew again today for a wet and windy one, in around Enniskerry, Barnasligen and up to Foxes. Only 46k with 990m climbing, but tough enough in the wind and rain in some of the more exposed parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement