Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm actually pretty stunned that the RSA has posted this scutter on its facebook page.

Well done RSA, you have proved yourself to be, beyond a shadow of a doubt, unfit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Duckjob wrote: »

It's the fact that it says "up to" & not "at least" which astounds me.

"Don't give those cyclists any more than 1.5m lads, they'll only start playing bicycle polo with that kind of room"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I seen the thing on twitter where someone who wrote to the RSA about a road safety issue was told that Road Safety was not in their remit. I have no words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

amcalester wrote: »
    Yeah I know, ridiculous article.

I’ve asked what the authors credentials are, and what it takes to be called an expert by the RSA.

It was the Communications Manager.

No information on his credentials though, or why these weren't included in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a pretty wide ranging term, could be the person managing the Twitter and Facebook accounts, with no qualifications with regards to road safety or law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's a pretty wide ranging term, could be the person managing the Twitter and Facebook accounts, with no qualifications with regards to road safety or law.

a relation of mine was communications manager for the Revenue at one point. he knew f*ck all about tax law...

No information on his credentials though, or why these weren't included in the article.

The RSA Communications Manager is a member of the Institute of Advance Motorists and also hold an advance driving qualification. This, and their period of employment with the RSA is what qualifies them as an expert.

I also asked if the RSA would issue a statement clarifying this misleading section, specifically in relation to the up to 1.5m of space comment, but I've been told that this is factually correct.
    The RSA's recent advertisement asking motorists to give up to 1.5 metres of space to cyclists when passing has, by and large, yielded a positive response.

FYI - IAM membership is open to anyone who passes their advance test or qualifies by exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I also asked if the RSA would issue a statement clarifying this misleading section, specifically in relation to the up to 1.5m of space comment, but I've been told that this is factually correct.
    I'd wonder what their response is if you point them to their own press release from last May...

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2018/Motorists-Urged-to-Give-Cyclists-the-Space-to-Ride-Safe/
    The RSA recommends that drivers allow at least one metre overtaking distance when passing cyclists in speed zones up to 50km/hour and at least 1.5 metres when passing at speeds above 50km/hour.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd wonder what their response is if you point them to their own press release from last May...

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2018/Motorists-Urged-to-Give-Cyclists-the-Space-to-Ride-Safe/

I've tried explaining the difference between "Up To 1.5M" and "At Least 1.5M" but the person I'm emailing doesn't seem to understand.

Although, that he is relying on the RSA being "factually correct" makes me think he knows well that it's a load on bull**** but just can't or won't admit that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've tried explaining the difference between "Up To 1.5M" and "At Least 1.5M" but the person I'm emailing doesn't seem to understand.
    Reminds me of the old Verizon call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Clr Ossian Smyth getting a good response in. edit: just to add, he has a thread of such responses to the RSA tweet so it's worth a click through.
    https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1070651485829165056

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Hurrache wrote: »
    Clr Ossian Smyth getting a good response in. edit: just to add, he has a thread of such responses to the RSA tweet so it's worth a click through.
    https://twitter.com/smytho/status/1070651485829165056

bookmarking that image for next time there is the thread on RLJ

Dtu0ascWsAARgnP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

that article is indeed rage inducing. How can a State agency think it is ok to publish a piece like that based on anecdote and personal opinion rather than research.

And the "busy bee cyclists" is so infantalising and patronising - what on earth is a government funded agency who are charged with promoting road safety for all users, including cyclists, using language like that for.

As a thought experiment imagine replacing the references to cyclists in that article with references to an ethnic minority, to generalise about all other members of that ethnic group, and consider whether the author would remain in their current employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The RSA's recent advertisement asking motorists to give up to 1.5 metres of space to cyclists when passing has, by and large, yielded a positive response.
    I wonder if they could be persuaded to give evidence of the "positive response" and how they measured it. Perhaps they've had a nearmissometer out on the road in recent months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The RSA Communications Manager is a member of the Institute of Advance Motorists and also hold an advance driving qualification. This, and their period of employment with the RSA is what qualifies them as an expert.

FYI - IAM membership is open to anyone who passes their advance test or qualifies by exemption.

I completed a Garda driving course in 1979. 25 years later, In 2004 I became a member of IAM on the strength of that course, without having to do any test.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    [/B]
    I completed a Garda driving course in 1979. 25 years later, In 2004 I became a member of IAM on the strength of that course, without having to do any test.

Boom you can now call yourself an RSA Expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks.
    The only reason, I went to the bother of getting membership, was it entitled me to a discount on my car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I suppose one could ask why being an 'expert motorist' qualifies you to write about cycling?

I suppose one could ask why being an 'expert motorist' qualifies you to write about cycling?

I’m not expecting any more replies, I’ve probably been branded a crank at this stage.

But, yeah, I thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I’m not expecting any more replies, I’ve probably been branded a crank at this stage.

A friend of mine emailed the RSA also today. They sent me on the email chain earlier. I asked them if I could include some of it here.

In response to credentials.
    Our communications manager is a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists and also has a RoSPA Gold Advanced Driving Qualification. They have also been working in road safety for the past 16 years.

• Advertisement

Word for word the reply I got too.

Am I your friend?

Word for word the reply I got too.

Am I your friend?

Ctrl c
    Ctrl v

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

There's a thought, The Independent could be asked to publish an article next week by an "expert" cyclist, (Bikeability/Cycle Right) qualifications and experience of commuter cycling in Dublin on a daily basis on their observations of busy bee multi-tasking drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Many thanks on all our behalf for persevering with it and ensuring they engaged to some limited extent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

There's a thought, The Independent could be asked to publish an article next week by an "expert" cyclist, (Bikeability/Cycle Right) qualifications and experience of commuter cycling in Dublin on a daily basis on their observations of busy bee multi-tasking drivers

Screw it, I've been cycling in and out of Dublin for 10-ish years, I can most certainly use anecdotal crap to reword the article. Hell, most of it I didn't even have to change, just swap around a bit.
    We Irish have taken to driving in a big way.

It's great to see the numbers driving to work each morning, expanding our horizons and clearly the boom is back.

On a wet November morning, I admire how motorists can sit comfortably away from the elements and safely get to work to earn a living.

But - and there is always a but - some of these busy bees seem to bending the rules of the road.

Perhaps it's because there has been such a huge decline in enforcing the rules of the road in such a short space of time, with city infrastructures struggling to cope with the swarming masses?

While their country cousins are happy to enjoy quieter roads, some city motorists are battling it out for last person through the red light.

Some veer into cycle lanes like they're part of the road and exit left without so much as a glance in their wing mirror or, more importantly, the blind spot.

I'm not saying that cyclists are without fault - far from it.

No one wants to be stuck behind the poor struggling climber (who is just short of being pushed up the hill), but weaving in and out of traffic and clipping wing mirrors is risky for both cyclists and others.

The RSA's recent advertisement asking cyclists to put on yellow jackets has, by and large, made almost zero difference.

So, if we are beginning to see cyclists wear yellow jackets more, and this placebo effect is believed to have made a difference, then equally motorists need to respect the more vulnerable cyclist

I repeatedly stand at red lights and watch as car and bus after car and bus break the red light, even though the green man crossing light was on.

The worst part of it was that it's in a school area and children are crossing.
    We teach our children to always wait for the green man, so what kind of a message does it send when professional bus drivers are whizzing past at speed, ignoring the fact that pedestrians have right of way to cross the road, or the school warden for that matter?

On one particular occasion, I witnessed a Dublin Bus speed through a crossing mere metres from where one of his colleagues had knocked down and killed a cyclist. It might have even been the same driver, given he was allowed to delay his driving ban until after Christmas. The green man couldn't get any greener.

All the driver could say was “**** off“, after which they hurtled onwards, minus any helmet or high-visibility gear.

This is not an isolated incident. I see motorists breaking pedestrian lights all the time.
    And it's not a case of 'there's no one crossing. I'll just edge past slowly'.

I'm talking flat out, ****ed-if-I’m-waiting, as pedestrians on opposite sides frantically bump into each other to avoid being flattened.

I accept that stopping to wait at an empty pedestrian crossing can be extremely frustrating.

But in a city, you'll still get to your destination quicker than either the pedestrian or the cyclist if you just plow on through.

On a more serious note, there is also the law.

Apart from the obvious danger, breaking a red light (pedestrian or otherwise) is a fineable offence for everyone, as is disregarding a school warden's sign.

There's no grey area here, just red and green.

The entirety of the Rules of the Road provides detailed safety advice for everyone, and it's free to download.

Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians have to share the road, so we all need to learn to live in harmony and avoid dangerous behaviours.

As the saying goes, if you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive (Dale Carnegie).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's really head scratching is that a head of communications should be good at understanding what will and won't play well with an audience.
    that article is so ham-fisted and counterproductive that the talk about whether they're qualified to talk on road safety surely must be eclipsed by the fact that they don't seem qualified to do their own job.
    it's the sort of article that you expect the main role of the head of communications would have in its publication would be to prevent its publication.

what's really head scratching is that a head of communications should be good at understanding what will and won't play well with an audience.
    that article is so ham-fisted and counterproductive that the talk about whether they're qualified to talk on road safety surely must be eclipsed by the fact that they don't seem qualified to do their own job.
    it's the sort of article that you expect the main role of the head of communications would have in its publication would be to prevent its publication.

I think he was standing at a crossing when a cyclist went through and in that moment decided he needed to write an article.

It's a subjective piece implying it arose out if research when it was one guy seeing one incident and getting enraged. Road rage of a different kind you might say.

He chickened out when it came to signing it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think articles by "our RSA expert" have been appearing in the Irish Independent for quite a long time. I don't think it's a failure of nerve over this work of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Judging by the comments, it has played well with the intended audience - motorists!

As you can see from the qualifications as to what they expect of their experts, the RSA is too motorist focused to be effective, hence all the victim blaming nonsense "safety" campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the RSA should be split. i assume a lot of their business is in running the driving tests, so it's probably a culture oriented towards cars.
    maybe we need a CSA and PSA section within them - or is there one already?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement