Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I'd be sending that to the gardai.

How though? Any advice here? I had another pass this evening which was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Move further out into the road? You're as entitled to use the road as any automated vehicle.

It's motorists' responsibility to overtake correctly and when safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Go to your local station and make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The guards *may* seize the camera and storage if it's considered serious enough. My suggestion would be a quick call to traffic watch who will forward it on to the local station for a word with the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    ... I would identify the bike lane on Drumcondra road... .... And also, cyclists often undertake on this lane.
    If by 'undertake' you mean pass on the left, then I'm puzzled. I would almost always pass another cyclist on the left there as it's much safer. Passing a cyclist on the right can be difficult if they are meandering over all the lane and they may swerve sending the passing cyclist over the kerb and under a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭blackbox

If by 'undertake' you mean pass on the left, then I'm puzzled. I would almost always pass another cyclist on the left there as it's much safer. Passing a cyclist on the right can be difficult if they are meandering over all the lane and they may swerve sending the passing cyclist over the kerb and under a bus.

Are you mixing up your left and right?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number 1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar, Mayo F23 D303. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

You call.
    Local Super assigns it to a lackie
    Lackie calls you
    Lackie turns up at drivers door for a chat.

blackbox wrote: »
    Are you mixing up your left and right?
    No!

The cycle track is on the right side of the footpath. I'd prefer to encroach into the pedestrian area on the left (if safe to do so) to pass another cyclist rather than taking my chances along the edge of a kerb and a busy bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I reckon it was caused by this idiot blindly following the guy in front. Although the first overtake left plenty of room, it was still around a blind bend on a continuous white line. And I was fairly prominently out in the lane. My solution is to cycle further out now, so far so good.

That's a huge problem - car A may wait and wait until it's safe to pass, but then a stream of cars come in the slip stream, many speeding to get in quick and thereby engaging in a blind and close pass. What bugs me is that they will do it on a blind bend or with oncoming traffic for a cyclist. Crazy stuff - often for no real time benefit / saving. They hate slowing down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

No!

The cycle track is on the right side of the footpath. I'd prefer to encroach into the pedestrian area on the left (if safe to do so) to pass another cyclist rather than taking my chances along the edge of a kerb and a busy bus lane.

Your example may be a special case but in my opinion it's never a good idea to pass on the left. It psisses me off when it happens me at lights as you don't expect it on the left. I try to block it by staying in near the kerb but as soon as you move off, the door opens for those that may not have had to stop at the light. In free flow traffic, cyclists overtaking cyclists on the left is dangerous, but it happens!

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Your example may be a special case but in my opinion it's never a good idea to pass on the left. It psisses me off when it happens me at lights as you don't expect it on the left. I try to block it by staying in near the kerb but as soon as you move off, the door opens for those that may not have had to stop at the light. In free flow traffic, cyclists overtaking cyclists on the left is dangerous, but it happens!
    I'm referring to an off road segregated cycle track. I'd never pass on the left on an on-road cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

ED E wrote: »
    Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number 1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar, Mayo F23 D303. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

You call.
    Local Super assigns it to a lackie
    Lackie calls you
    Lackie turns up at drivers door for a chat.

As Ed E has said above (although I'm not sure I'd use the term lackie which is unfairly derogatory). I've had to use the Traffic Watch service twice, both times supported by video evidence and both times for dangerously close passes.

The first time yielded a satisfactory outcome with a sincere apology passed on from the offending driver. The guy flatly denied it until the Garda informed him that they had 'incredibly clear camera footage from the cyclist' which apparently made the blood drain from his face and promptly changed his tune. I was given the option in advance to have him charged or just for them to have a chat. I opted for a chat and indicated I would be happy with that as long as he took on board the seriousness of what he did.

The second time was only 2 weeks ago. I've reported it and am currently waiting on a visit from the boys in blue who have already been in touch and are eager to see the footage. Will update on how that goes.

Having watched your video I'd be of the opinion that it warrants reporting. If you do decide to do it, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Best thing I have ever done was get a helmet cam. Almost 3 years of incident free cycling since I got it :D

I did recently move jobs from the dock lands to near the four courts. Cycling in from firhouse is a pleasure now as I don't really get into the city centre and no need to go near the canal except to cross it.

Worst area for me was turning right from harolds cross onto the canal. Two lanes of merging into one, majority going straight so lots of extremely close passes as I waited to turn right. Best thing to do is find a car in the queue turning right and plant myself behind it. It's great being able to go straight through the junction now.

New hotspot for me is from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. The bus lane at the start is a mess of dodgy merging, queue jumpers and deeply recessed man holes, and then the top of the road is a bit of a **** storm with two lanes becoming three and then four soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The first time yielded a satisfactory outcome with a sincere apology passed on from the offending driver. The guy flatly denied it until the Garda informed him that they had 'incredibly clear camera footage from the cyclist' which apparently made the blood drain from his face and promptly changed his tune.

I don't really see how that's a sincere apology. It seems like this person was perfectly happy to lie to a guard about what he did and was not in the least bit sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Jerome Old-fashioned Logging

I took the lane on the quays this week in slow moving traffic only to be blown out of it by a flash car driver. He got my finger as he overtook for all of 5 seconds.
    I beat him to the next lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

An unfortunate Man in his 40's hit by a car near Christchurch last night has died, may in rest in peace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(although I'm not sure I'd use the term lackie which is unfairly derogatory)

Poor choice of words. Just trying to make it clear that it'll be a junior member who's desk it lands on, you wont get a Super nor a Sgt handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Danbo! wrote: »
    Worst area for me was turning right from harolds cross onto the canal. Two lanes of merging into one, majority going straight so lots of extremely close passes as I waited to turn right. Best thing to do is find a car in the queue turning right and plant myself behind it. It's great being able to go straight through the junction now.

New hotspot for me is from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. The bus lane at the start is a mess of dodgy merging, queue jumpers and deeply recessed man holes, and then the top of the road is a bit of a **** storm with two lanes becoming three and then four soon after.

These areas are both a serious scramble for space but I haven't seen many near misses at either myself. The junction at Kevin street & Patrick street is a nightmare as you always ALWAYS get the cycle lane blocked by cars sitting with their noses across it as they wait to get through the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I don't really see how that's a sincere apology. It seems like this person was perfectly happy to lie to a guard about what he did and was not in the least bit sorry.

The point here I suppose is that a cyclist will always know if there has been a near miss, but a lot of the time the driver is not even aware of it (and so obviously will deny it until video evidence is shown to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

- Put a copy of the unaltered video on DVD

- Put a copy of the video snippet in a separate video on the DVD

- Include a Notepad file with a description of the incident on the DVD
    (time, place, description of event, your contact details)

Take it to the Gardai station and file a report. They will investigate and you will get a followup call etc. They will likely pay the driver a visit.

I've done this before when some kids threw a stone at me out of their car as they passed and I got it on video. Went all the way to the courts and they brought the car owner in for questioning, and I was congratulated on the evidence I produced - apparently no-one else thought to provide videos like this, but as I didn't get a visual on the driver they couldn't "prove" who was at the wheel.

Ridiculous I know, but now I know: *ALWAYS GET A VISUAL OF THE DRIVER*

Same with Dublin Bus drivers etc

At least the driver got a scare by being pulled into the station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm going to try giving traffic watch a call. It seems to be the easiest approach. I'm actually going to call about another way more dangerous pass that happened yesterday. I have the raw video files (front and rear) saved, and edited versions too. Thanks guys.

I'm going to try giving traffic watch a call. It seems to be the easiest approach. I'm actually going to call about another way more dangerous pass that happened yesterday. I have the raw video files (front and rear) saved, and edited versions too. Thanks guys.

Good luck, though I think close calls are taken less seriously than actual impact which is regarded as "assault".

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

I have commuted by bike for the last two years in Dublin city centre and in the past couple of weeks Ive definitely noticed a surge in dangerous driver behaviour. On Wednesday alone I had three near misses. First was passengers exiting car in traffic, doors swinging open in front of me and people with hoods up not even looking as they step out. Second was a taxi driving the wrong side of road to get around a box at Christchurch hill, as I was cycling through. I braked hard, banged on his window and it didnt even register with him. Last was as I was just home and a car sped past me by less than 10cm to break the lights, the wind alone nearly took me off.
    Christ, Im looking forward to moving to the Netherlands but I need to survive a couple more months on Irish roads til then! :D

malarkus wrote: »
    Christ, Im looking forward to moving to the Netherlands but I need to survive a couple more months on Irish roads til then! :D

You just have to watch out for crazy-fast commuters on their bikes, and bloody motorbikes on the bike path there :D

Nowhere's safe :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was after getting to the top of a long bridge today and started to freewheel down the other side and was picking up a bit of speed.
    It's a solid white line on the cycle lane.
    A car whipped in in front of me and stopped with the wheels beside the kerb. I jammed on and then the guy pulled back out in to his lane and slowed down in traffic.

As I went past the gar giving my 'what the fook' look, there were 2 young lads having a great laugh at me.
    So yeah, thanks for trying to make me crash today for your amusement. Sound.

I didn't think about getting a reg, I was too busy talking myself out of going back and smashing their window with my lock.

What helmet camera do people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I have seen so many people on their phones either texting or on calls recently more than ever before. I don't think there should be any surprise that there has been so many pedestrian deaths so far this year. I have encountered oncoming cars on the wrong side of the road, drivers going through pedestrian crossings on the phone oblivious to people trying to cross them. I do believe driving with the phone has probably been a big factor in a lot of recent serious accidents to cyclists and pedestrians alike. I even had a collision myself recently with a cyclist on a footpath who had one hand on the handle bars with the other holding a phone to his ear. He came around a bend on a narrower path and lost control when he came across me jogging towards him and we collided. Its not a dig at cyclists but just emphasises if you are using a phone while driving you cannot be in full control of a vehicle or fully aware of your surroundings.

I have seen so many people on their phones either texting or on calls recently more than ever before. I don't think there should be any surprise that there has been so many pedestrian deaths so far this year. I have encountered oncoming cars on the wrong side of the road, drivers going through pedestrian crossings on the phone oblivious to people trying to cross them. I do believe driving with the phone has probably been a big factor in a lot of recent serious accidents to cyclists and pedestrians alike. I even had a collision myself recently with a cyclist on a footpath who had one hand on the handle bars with the other holding a phone to his ear. He came around a bend on a narrower path and lost control when he came across me jogging towards him and we collided. Its not a dig at cyclists but just emphasises if you are using a phone while driving you cannot be in full control of a vehicle or fully aware of your surroundings.

You've singled out the cyclist you saw on the phone.

1. What is the ratio of cyclists on the phone to motorists on the phone. 1:100? 1:1000? Its not at all comparable.

2. I note you survived your collision with the cyclist. Would you have survived if it was a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You've singled out the cyclist you saw on the phone.

1. What is the ratio of cyclists on the phone to motorists on the phone. 1:100? 1:1000? Its not at all comparable.

2. I note you survived your collision with the cyclist. Would you have survived if it was a car?

Ah come on, it doesn't have to be a case of whataboutery because a bike was mentioned instead of a car, it's a good analogy.

• Advertisement

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ah come on, it doesn't have to be a case of whataboutery because a bike was mentioned instead of a car, it's a good analogy.

That's fair, apologies.....I withdraw the comment:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement