Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to track descendants of my ancestors

• 03-12-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Hope I'm not asking a stupid question but I couldn't find anything like this asked already.

I have identified a number of my grandmother's first cousins. They were a large family and I am wondering how best to try to establish if there are any of their descendants living.

They were born from 1890 to 1906 and appear in the 1901 and 1911 census but after that nothing.

I can't find death or marriage records.

Obviously emigration is a very likely answer. How would one best search for these men and women in the records of the UK and USA? And what are the best sites to begin searching for emigration records/ships list etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

2 threads to read:

Our introduction sticky which has some suggestions on emigration

Thread written by our resident American expert

One excellent resource for the UK is the 1939 register (searchable on Findmypast, Ancestry and Familysearch). You search by name and birthdate, I recommend leaving off the year and just putting say 3rd Feb. People are sometimes off about their year of birth but are consistent with the rest.

US censuses up to 1940 are on the commercial sites too and gives places of birth.

Surprising that some of them wouldn't have died before 1966, which is the current cut-off for death records on www.irishgenealogy.ie - you could always hit up the GRO and search death records after that point manually. They had promised 1967 online in November but clearly that hasn't happened.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

pinkypinky wrote: »
    2 threads to read:

Our introduction sticky which has some suggestions on emigration

Thread written by our resident American expert

One excellent resource for the UK is the 1939 register (searchable on Findmypast, Ancestry and Familysearch). You search by name and birthdate, I recommend leaving off the year and just putting say 3rd Feb. People are sometimes off about their year of birth but are consistent with the rest.

US censuses up to 1940 are on the commercial sites too and gives places of birth.

Surprising that some of them wouldn't have died before 1966, which is the current cut-off for death records on www.irishgenealogy.ie - you could always hit up the GRO and search death records after that point manually. They had promised 1967 online in November but clearly that hasn't happened.

Thanks a million for that.

Advertisement