Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recent-ish cars that were once ubiquitous but which you don't see anymore

• 20-11-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭

I realised the other that day that it's been ages since I saw a Volvo S40 Mark I on the roads. At one point there were loads of these doing the rounds but now they seem to have fizzled out and it's rare to see one. I also remember the E39 5 series was a very plentiful sight on the road but thinking about it I can't actually recall the last time I saw one on the road.

Any others that spring to mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

During the height of the Celtic tiger years, you couldn't turn around in south Dublin without seeing one of these abominations (they were going for mad money for what is essentially a 15+ year old Micra with an arse welded onto it). Thankfully a decade of recession seems to have put paid to such idiocy.

images?id=ea3a0e25-ab68-4d99-acd4-9be751505f90&width=640&height=480

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Given the situation with insurance and 'older cars' these days it's not surprising to see them disappear. The e39 as great as it is, is an old beast now and takes effort to keep on the road. It's been an enthusiast only car for a good while now. Same with my e46. Expensive to tax/insure and run at any mileage.

I wonder if the diesels of the last ten years will go the same way in the next few. The shift of public opinion on them has been quick. I suppose cheap tax and good mileage for most will keep them on the road for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

Dunno how far back you want o go.
    Punto's were ubiquitous at the turn of the century, but now are gone like the snows of winter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't see many Glanza's (non turbo on logbook) these days.

Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I realised the other that day that it's been ages since I saw a Volvo S40 Mark I on the roads. At one point there were loads of these doing the rounds but now they seem to have fizzled out and it's rare to see one. I also remember the E39 5 series was a very plentiful sight on the road but thinking about it I can't actually recall the last time I saw one on the road.

Any others that spring to mind?

Had an S40 up till 2 years ago - great car.
    AFAIK there were quite a few of them as company cars/fleet cars - which might explain why there's not quite so many 2nd hand ones floating around.

Traded my old one in at a Dublin dealership - have kept eyes open for it on the roads since but have yet to see it anywhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

During the height of the Celtic tiger years, you couldn't turn around in south Dublin without seeing one of these abominations (they were going for mad money for what is essentially a 15+ year old Micra with an arse welded onto it). Thankfully a decade of recession seems to have put paid to such idiocy.

images?id=ea3a0e25-ab68-4d99-acd4-9be751505f90&width=640&height=480

I live close enough to UCD - you still see a few of them knocking around

blackwhite wrote: »
    I live close enough to UCD - you still see a few of them knocking around

tenor.gif?itemid=5307315

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not really that shocking, time and technology move on. How many CRT televisions or brick style mobile phones do you see in use these days?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I actually like the Figaro. Especially the interior. *ducks*

You never see Lagunas around anymore.

I actually like the Figaro. Especially the interior. *ducks*

You never see Lagunas around anymore.

Would you have paid €15k for one in 2005?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

fordmonds1_750_500_70.jpg

Mk1 Mondeos. Must have rusted to nothing, because they used to be everywhere! Compared to a fair few Corollas, Primeras, 406s and Carinas from the time, there's very few Mondeos left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Nixonbot wrote: »
    [/IMG]

Mk1 Mondeos. Must have rusted to nothing, because they used to be everywhere! Compared to a fair few Corollas, Primeras, 406s and Carinas from the time, there's very few Mondeos left.

Saw one of those on the M1 over the weekend, and commented to the missus how you never see any of those around any longer.

I had one in that colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...You never see Lagunas around anymore.
    Two of the girls working in my office drive Lagunas. They seem to be money pits all the same going by the number of times they seem to be in for repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

You don't see many Morris Minors or Volkswagen Beetle Type 1s anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

You don't see many Morris Minors or Volkswagen Beetle Type 1s anymore.
    I think were talking a bit more recent than those. :pac:

A lot less E46's going around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I have noticed a distinct lack of E60 BMW's locally. Two years ago they were everywhere, the A4 TDI rs4 of their time but now I wouldn't even know where to look for one, locally at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Alfa 156 were a big success. Alfa 147 did well too. Alfa had a great decade from 1997 to 2007 with the gtv also. But at this stage there are not that many of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Two of the girls working in my office drive Lagunas. They seem to be money pits all the same going by the number of times they seem to be in for repair.

Are Laguna's a money pit too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanmaol

Opel Astra, Opel anything to be precise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Renault Laguna's still around sure but not many.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

SsangYongs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mercedes ML range, thank god they are gone, broke my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Nixonbot wrote:

Used to see them with lumps tore off the bumpers and yellow foam showing through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

206, clio's, puntos, mk2 polo's. There are still plenty of mk1 yaris on the road which just shows how much of a good car they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Still see 206s regularly and a few clios knocking round like the Mondeo mk 1 don't see any mk4 fiestas these days still see puntos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭LeBash

Fiat Punto. Must have been 50k of them around. I'd say 50% broke down beyond repair and the other 50% crashed by the numpties that bought them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I see a lot less minis (the new BMW ones) around since their heyday in the Celtic Tiger. Do they still sell them?

In a similar vein X5s past 2008 regs seem as rare as hen's teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

E11 Corolla's.

Am I right in saying these finished up around 2001/2002? Few enough on the roads now considering how bulletproof they were.

Next to uninsurable now, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

OSI wrote: »
    Pretty much any French hatchback.

Throw a stone in the air and it'll likely land on one as it drives by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You'd rarely see an E36 on the road now. Uninsurable as daily drivers due to age and they aren't yet old / sought after enough to see them at classic shows.

Advertisement