Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E30 Insurance

• 16-11-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Any young drivers managed to get insured on an E30?

im looking into getting a 1989 318is for my next car. im 19 and am just curious if i have a chance to be insured.

Currently insured on my own policy on a 170bhp supercharged cooper S so i dont imagine a 1.8 litre 130bhp bmw could be much worse?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you approach your current insurer about it? If they already have you on that supercharged car they might not increase premium at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I have to ask OP, what sort of ballpark figure are you paying for the insurance on the Cooper-s please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jordanfaf

I have to ask OP, what sort of ballpark figure are you paying for the insurance on the Cooper-s please?!

Currently paying 1400 with 2 years NCB and 3 points on license.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not even the slightest of chances. E30 would fall into classic policy by now surely, which you need to be over 25 to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jordanfaf

biko wrote: »
    Did you approach your current insurer about it? If they already have you on that supercharged car they might not increase premium at all.

Currently insured with Aviva, i tried an online quote but their online system dosnt allow cars older than 14 years. gonna try call in the morning, just wondering if anyone has a rough ballpark price so i know what to expect
    Not even the slightest of chances. E30 would fall into classic policy by now surely, which you need to be over 25 to get.

yea thats what i was worried about. do companies still not allow me to insure it under normal insurance with its age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

That's just not true, the amount of misinformation on this site re insurance is insane.

OP it'll be tricky alright but still doable. Forget about online altogether that's only for 40 year olds insuring brand new golfs and fiestas. Get on the phone and annoy company's till they offer you cover. I do doubt that you'll get a policy as new business so keep on your current insurer. You premium will most likely go up due to it being a rwd "sports" car but keep at them and you should get a reasonable quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

It'll definitely tough because of the age of the car! Hound them but they could still say no, especially if you don't already have the car bought.

millington wrote: »
    It'll definitely tough because of the age of the car! Hound them but they could still say no, especially if you don't already have the car bought.

That's a very good point actually, tell them you already have it bought, if you don't they are entitled to refuse to cover it and advise you not to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

JC01 wrote: »
    That's a very good point actually, tell them you already have it bought, if you don't they are entitled to refuse to cover it and advise you not to buy it.

Your current insurer is obliged to quote you for any car you have an appropriate licence to drive. They cannot tell you not to buy it. Might not like the quote though............

Your current insurer is obliged to quote you for any car you have an appropriate licence to drive. They cannot tell you not to buy it. Might not like the quote though............

Genuine question, obliged how? If legally then how could aviva or whoever it was get away with publicly stating that they wouldn't cover anyone on a car over 15 years old?

In my experiance your far more likely to be quoted on a car you say you have already bought than one you tell them your thinking of buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm looking at buying the car you currently have, they're exceptionally cheap to insure. So I doubt you've a hope of getting insured on an E30. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, to be honest, a good broker is where you should go, rather than filling in on-line quotes. What you are looking for is not the "normal" so a good broker will know where to go.

If it was me, I'd use the broker to push for classic insurance on the E30 and keep the Bini as your current everyday car. It might work out much cheaper (and kinder on the E30)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Genuine question, obliged how? If legally then how could aviva or whoever it was get away with publicly stating that they wouldn't cover anyone on a car over 15 years old?
    You missed the fine print saying existing customers would still be covered (but they can up the rate to 10k a year, you got an offer alright but would you pay it?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, to be honest, a good broker is where you should go, rather than filling in on-line quotes. What you are looking for is not the "normal" so a good broker will know where to go.

If it was me, I'd use the broker to push for classic insurance on the E30 and keep the Bini as your current everyday car. It might work out much cheaper (and kinder on the E30)

It will be a struggle at his age to get classic. Youngest I know that got classic was 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

In my experiance your far more likely to be quoted on a car you say you have already bought than one you tell them your thinking of buying.

Insurers are obliged to maintain cover and offer renewals for existing customers, provided a) the licence is in order and b) it is not against the public interest. They are not obliged to maintain previous premium levels, cover levels (other than 3rd party) or accept additional drivers to your policy.

They may give you advance notice that they will shaft you should you proceed to buy the vehicle but they cannot prohibit you doing so. There is also a fine line between a quote being high and being so high as to be as good as declining cover and that is hard to prove. You're better off agreeing terms in advance, if you can

Advertisement