Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stillbirths

• 27-11-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help clarify the situation on finding records for a stillbirth in my family. I have very little information on it except that the baby was born in Dublin South between 1944 and 1952 and may have been male. I have no idea whether he lived for any time at all after birth or whether he was stillborn.

In either situation, what was the procedure at that time for recording the birth or death of a stillborn baby? Would it be recorded in both birth and death records and would these be available from the GRO?

Also, would the baby's name be put on the record or would it be surname only if he was born dead?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont think stillbirths were registered until much later than this - see here

If the child was born alive then there should be both a birth and death registration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If he was stillborn, then there won't be a state record, unless one was created retroactively. My grandmother registered the birth of her stillborn son (1960) in 1996 when they first created a register of stillborns. We have his birth cert.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement