Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heir Hunters TV Programme

• 04-07-2011 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I've been watching the re-runs of this old series. It's really interesting how much information they have to hand in order to track heirs down. Just wondered if companies do this here as I've never heard of anything like it but then I suppose not everyone would come across this kind of thing in their day to day lives. Does the Irish Government publish lists of deceased who died intestate?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I do think Eneclann provides a service like that and I know that my former UCD lecturer, Sean Murphy, has been involved as a genealogist in a couple of intestacy cases. He said it was not an experience he would like to repeat!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Your lecturer must have had a rough time of it. The programme makes it look soooooo easy doesn't it? Even the music is very 'Mission Impossible' too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've been watching the re-runs of this old series. It's really interesting how much information they have to hand in order to track heirs down. Just wondered if companies do this here as I've never heard of anything like it but then I suppose not everyone would come across this kind of thing in their day to day lives. Does the Irish Government publish lists of deceased who died intestate?

As you so rightly say, its amazing how much information they have. The thing that amazes me is the fact that the have so much competition, other firms chasing the same bounty, as it were. They always seem to be against the clock, have to get there first. Maybe this should be a clue to the Irish Goverment if they do not already have published lists of deceased who died intestate, to get them. Keep the family assets in the family!

God knows just how much the govt benefits from these kind of estates? :eek: The TV programme shows these companies competing for their prize commission and on the face of it its such a greedy business, like ambulance chasers and that ilk, but at least if they find beneficiaries then you feel it's really worth the chase. I certainly don't think the govt should pocket money it is not entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 unch

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I certainly don't think the govt should pocket money it is not entitled to.

In Ireland, I believe, unclaimed taxes go into a community project fund. Everybody is entitled to apply for these funds, but need to give details of how the money will be used and who it will benefit, for a project to be awarded any money. Then the project will either be awarded or rejected funding.

I'm not sure if this also applies to unclaimed inheritance, or whether the same system is in England or not. I sort of assumed it is!

Since I've been home on holiday I've been trying to get up on time to watch heir hunters at 9am every morning with my mother. We're enjoying it a lot. I've been wondering if us Irish can find long lost relatives or their descendants on these lists.

• Advertisement

I don't watch all the programmes as I've seen them all a couple of times. They must be several years on the go now but its just interesting to see it done. The only time I got annoyed about it was when a deceased's estate went to a long lost relative who didn't even know the person, when in fact the deceased had been very close to, and looked after by a neighbour who got nothing. It was so unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 unch

Ah yes, that's horrible. Even the inlaws aren't entitled, though they may have been very close to the deceased, and/or a carer. It isn't a fair system, but the moral is: write a will, unless your closest relatives in your opinion should inherit everything you own. Take into account that your spouse may pass away before you!

There was a case where the husband died 5 days after his wife. Her family were not entitled to anything, although he had cut all ties with his family dozens of years previously. Her family were very close-knit, and he was an important part of it. Nephews of his that didn't know he survived the WW2 got what the couple left behind. It was a sad story, as his family had him declared dead many years ago. I do think it's good that it can bring long lost families together, but sad that it's too late for those that have passed away.

Advertisement