Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timing chain change on Opel Corsa 2001

Options
  • 29-01-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello everyone!

I hope someone can help me.
    I am looking for an HONEST mechanic who would not charge me 500 euro to change the timing chain on my opel corsa (engine 1.2, year 2001).
    So far I asked to mechanics. They came up with something around 550 euro and I simply refuse to pay that amount of money even because I know the timing belt kit cannot be charged more than 120 (and they should buy car parts at special prices too).
    Anyone knows of some place where I can be charged a right price for the fitting?
    Thanks in advance!

Alessandra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

Do you realise how much of a job it is to change one of those chains? and that there is special locking tools which are needed to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 alessandrasm

What I realize is that a timing chain kit costs maximum 120 euro and my mechanic told me it was 350.
    I understand it's a hell of a job but 430 euro is a lot of money too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

I recently got quoted 700euro to do same job by a friend who is a mechanic. he said timing chain parts are cheap enough but you need to take the engine apart to get to it. so you're paying for labour more than the part itself. probably work out cheaper to buy a new car than fix the old one.

Yes I am starting to thinking that too....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You can buy a split chain for these engines and change them in a couple of hours max without removing the timing chain cover. It's obviously not as long lasting a job as replacing chain, guides etc but on a 2001 Corsa the full job is no longer economically feasible.

• Advertisement

I am not an expert.. but do you think I can propose that to my mechanic? maybe that would spare me a lot of money... this car is not brand new anyway and I don't want to spend almost half of its actual price for a repair job, as heavy as it could be!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That does seem like a lot of money. In my last car a 1999 1.4 ford focus, I got the timing belt and water pump suppiled and fitted for €260. I know they are different cars but just to give you an idea. That was a local guy in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That does seem like a lot of money. In my last car a 1999 1.4 ford focus, I got the timing belt and water pump suppiled and fitted for €260. I know they are different cars but just to give you an idea. That was a local guy in Mayo.
    Yes they are different cars. One has a timing chain, the other has a belt. The two cant really be compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yes they are different cars. One has a timing chain, the other has a belt. The two cant really be compared.

True!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

What I realize is that a timing chain kit costs maximum 120 euro and my mechanic told me it was 350.
    I understand it's a hell of a job but 430 euro is a lot of money too!!!

heres a list of cars from 800-1000e with new nct, dont waste yer money fixing up the corsa,sell it for whatever,and get one of these :)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/cars/for-sale/Ireland/nct%202015?filter%28max_engine%29=Max+Litres&filter%28max_mileage%29=Max+KM&filter%28max_price%29=1000&filter%28max_year%29=Max&filter%28min_engine%29=Min+Litres&filter%28min_mileage%29=Min+KM&filter%28min_price%29=800&filter%28min_year%29=Min&source=all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If it's a timing chain, does it really need to be changed?
    Should last the life of the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

they should but can go bad over time like any mechanical device

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Considering its a 2001 Corsa, the chain has outlasted the life of the car if it only needs changing now :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

vw4life wrote: »
    Considering its a 2001 Corsa, the chain has outlasted the life of the car if it only needs changing now :p

Unless that chain was making a deafening racket, I wouldn't go near it.
    It lasted this long, it's happy, just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You've never owned a mk2 Almera have you :p

There is nothing to say a chain will last the lifetime of a car. A chain wears as well over time but there are a number of factors that will determine the lifetime of a chain. These are design, quality and maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You've never owned a mk2 Almera have you :p

There is nothing to say a chain will last the lifetime of a car. A chain wears as well over time but there are a number of factors that will determine the lifetime of a chain. These are design, quality and maintenance.

Besides the few cars that shat chains you only changed them if they annoyed you with the noise.

Advertisement