Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEDCOM & same-sex partners

• 21-11-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Guys, I've just run into the problem that I can't record a same-sex relationship in my family using PAF5 - http://www.familysearch.org

From what I've dug up on google and wikipedia, it looks like the GEDCOM standard for interchange doesn't support it. This seems very, very odd in this day and age.

Does anyone know what the story is here ? Since GEDCOM is used for sharing data between applications (and people) this means that even if your application supports recording same-sex relationships you lose that data if you share the information with anyone else in your family.

Am I missing something or is this really the case ?

z

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The program I use: www.genopro.com supports it as well as things like adoptive children, fraternal vs identical twins, etc. It is based on gedcom. PAF is a Mormon program and afaik they aren't noted for their same-sex relationship tolerance, so it may be deliberate.

On a more scholarly level, ancestry is concerned with blood relationships so a lot of purists (though not me) wouldn't represent homosexual relationships or adopted kids on an official tree....but they'd have it mentioned in the notes on the relevant person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement