Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boredzzzz

Heading over on Saturday to pick up car - can anyone list the full documentation I need to get from the dealer?

Is it just the V5 document, receipt(obviously) or is there anything else I need to make sure and get before bringing it back - for VRT purposes etc..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

boredzzzz wrote: »
    Heading over on Saturday to pick up car - can anyone list the full documentation I need to get from the dealer?

Is it just the V5 document, receipt(obviously) or is there anything else I need to make sure and get before bringing it back - for VRT purposes etc..

Thanks

Just the full V5 and reciept. Have a look at the list of paperwork then for your vrt appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hell4leather

Just a quick question, and apologies if this has been asked before.

Can the MOT date be transferred to a nct disc or does the car have to have an NCT done after VRT?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just a quick question, and apologies if this has been asked before.

Can the MOT date be transferred to a nct disc or does the car have to have an NCT done after VRT?
    Cheers

A quick search would answer that :)

If the car is MOT'd, you can exchange that for an NCT disc up to the end of the MOT period. You need to fill in a form after the VRT and send off the MOT docs with it and they send you back an NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

elperello wrote: »
    Is it something specific about the motorcycle you want verified or the fact that there is no test?

Just wanted to make sure that if I get the bike here, I won't have any last minute surprise tests and additional extra costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just wanted to make sure that if I get the bike here, I won't have any last minute surprise tests and additional extra costs.

You are ok so.
    Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Will be heading over next week to pick up a car and just have a couple of questions for those of you who have already done so.

From the booking of the Dekra inspection how many days does it take to complete it and be able to view the report?

Will Transferwise work over there on Saturday? Will have sterling loaded up on it by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Will be heading over next week to pick up a car and just have a couple of questions for those of you who have already done so.

From the booking of the Dekra inspection how many days does it take to complete it and be able to view the report?

Will Transferwise work over there on Saturday? Will have sterling loaded up on it by Thursday.

Best of Luck on the trip..

The Dekra inspection is carried out fairly quick. First thing they do is contact you to give you the initial check results - such as outstanding finance etc. Then you can reply to that email and tell them as to when you are ideally looking for inspection to be done, but think you include that in the booking anyway.

The day before the inspection they will generally send you details of the engineer with their mobile. Report is issued evening of inspection or next morning. Think you can optionally call engineer before or after.. but guess within reason.

Wouldn't be counting on transferring money on weekend as generally only happens on business days. Also, don't do conversions at weekend as you will not get best or most applicable market rate. Best have money all sorted before you arrive and don't be counting on it arriving day you get the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Hi Everyone -

VRT day Monday :(

It says you need utility bills for VRT - does anyone know if an internet supplier or a sky bill will suffice for one of the online printed bills? or does it have to be say -(what I would think) proper utility bill gas - electricity?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Horse1920 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone -

It says you need utility bills for VRT - does anyone know if an internet supplier or a sky bill will suffice for one of the online printed bills? or does it have to be say -(what I would think) proper utility bill gas - electricity?

Thanks in advance

You would have been quicker googling it.

Within Question 3..

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Milltown17

Hi folks
    Looking at purchasing a car in northern Ireland and looking at getting a car check done on it cartell do one for 35€ but was wondering if anyone could recommend one with better value. Also thinking of going up on Saturday and going use currency fair so do people think the transfer will go through on a Saturday or can ye recommend another way of payment to make sure it goes through on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Milltown17

Hi
    Just wondering does anyone know when does the vrt change.ive been watching the vrt on a car I have my eye on since last October and it hasn't changed.does anyone know when the vrt cost change I taught the vrt price would drop on January 1st

hey sorry - I actually got another revenue page

(https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/procedure-at-the-ncts-centre.aspx)

Other documents
    In addition, you must also always bring:
    A passport or a driving licence.
    The appropriate Vehicle Purchase Details (VPD) Form, that is Form VRTVPD1 for an authorised motor trader, otherwise Form VRTVPD2.
    An invoice clearly showing the date of purchase.
    Documentation verifying the registered owner’s name and address, for example hardcopy utility bill or bank statement. Otherwise two online statements from two different service providers must be submitted. These must be a utility bill and bank statement. If registering a vehicle for someone else, you must have signed letter authorising you to do so. You must also bring their proof of identity in addition to your own. Authorised motor traders may bring a copy of the drivers licence of the person who will be the registered owner.
    The Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) of the person who will be the registered owner. Official documentary evidence is required.

which just said utilities but did not mention broadband - But thank you for your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Thanks paddydriver. Some good pointers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Milltown17 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering does anyone know when does the vrt change.ive been watching the vrt on a car I have my eye on since last October and it hasn't changed.does anyone know when the vrt cost change I taught the vrt price would drop on January 1st

The VRT went up by 1% on diesel cars on the 1st of January so that would have canceled out most of the decrease you would normally get in January.

Hi Everyone -

Thanks in advance

Original (bill posted to you) is accepted .. but, if you can only supply online bills you have to supply 2 of them and one must be a online bank statement, the other can be a sky bill/upc/gas electric etc.

Thanks everyone.. Went fairly ok except they couldn't find exact spec so had to send to Revenue.. They said they will contact me on how much is owed and they have 10 working days to do that. Has anyone any experience in this? Specifically will it take the full 10 days usually?

Thanks again

Thanks everyone.. Went fairly ok except they couldn't find exact spec so had to send to Revenue.. They said they will contact me on how much is owed and they have 10 working days to do that. Has anyone any experience in this? Specifically will it take the full 10 days usually?

Thanks again

Generally 2/3 days wait, but it can take longer depending on the vehicle or revenue backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭EriktheRed

Looking at the van with seats at the back (6 seater) to buy from NI. The van is classified as N1 vehicle (dealer description). What vrt would I be expecting to pay? Its vauxhall vivaro 2014, would it be standard €200 or 13.3%? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EriktheRed wrote: »
    Looking at the van with seats at the back (6 seater) to buy from NI. The van is classified as N1 vehicle (dealer description). What vrt would I be expecting to pay? Its vauxhall vivaro 2014, would it be standard €200 or 13.3%? Thanks

Will be at least 13.3%, but may be more, based on the Co2 emissions.

The N1 classification no longer exists, but I don't know if you can re-register previously registered vehicles as commercial any more, or whether they have to be re-registered as passenger vehicles, which is how the new version is now sold.

No idea where you'd get the answer to that, but the difference is going to fairly substanstial as the Vivaro is probably 27% VRT based on emissions.

• Advertisement

EriktheRed wrote: »

100% wont be €200

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

Quick question lads. Anyone know if we are able to get finance from dealerships in the UK as we're Irish? AIB turned down my loan application due to a credit union loan that went into arrears for 4 months when I was 18 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your not a UK resident with a valid address there then your not going to get finance in the UK. Same goes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

There are plenty of local finance lenders that provide car loans to borrowers with problematic credit history. Generally it just means you will pay a higher interest rate. Have you actually approached your local credit union to discuss - you may be surprised that they are quite willing to lend if some time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

wassie wrote: »
    There are plenty of local finance lenders that provide car loans to borrowers with problematic credit history. Generally it just means you will pay a higher interest rate. Have you actually approached your local credit union to discuss - you may be surprised that they are quite willing to lend if some time has passed.

Cheers for the advice. I submitted an application with my CU and another crowd AvantCard. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

mgn wrote: »
    The VRT went up by 1% on diesel cars on the 1st of January so that would have canceled out most of the decrease you would normally get in January.

@mgn are you sure it was only 1%?

I got an online quote in Dec 18 for €2,000.00, bought the car and now it's gone up to €2200,00.

EDITED 20 mins later: Ah, ok, I see that the 1% was in the budget for diesel cars. Hmmmm... why the 200 quid increase in mine then...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Heading up north on Tuesday.Should have gone a week ago with a better exchange rate.A question for anyone who has paid with transfermate.From the time u call them to make the payment how long does it take for the dealer to get the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VRT prices can go up as well as down depending on how revenue calculate it. Urban legend has it they have been known to track popular queries on particular models too and adjust up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

ballybro wrote: »
    Heading up north on Tuesday.Should have gone a week ago with a better exchange rate.A question for anyone who has paid with transfermate.From the time u call them to make the payment how long does it take for the dealer to get the payment.

If you ring them before the cutoff time for same day transfer, Its usually through in about a half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hi folks, doing my due diligence on a car before I ring dealer. Car is showing outstanding finance "unit stock", doing my research there should be nothing to worry about as it is a standard loan taken out by the dealer, and will be cleared on sale.

Anyone had any issues with this type of finance when buying?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement