Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New game workshopping and brainstorming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Kolido wrote:
    For these quiz games and even pictionary, players would need to be online for the duration of the game for it to flow consistantly. I feel this could be an issue?

That's why I was trying to go for a turn based game on BLOCKBUSTERS. Hard enough getting players online and in place for codenames sometimes, and that's as turn based as it comes.

We could do both I think just needs to be flagged when the game is being setup.

My phone auto capped that btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Well if you have 2 teams on the pictionary game the guessing would be turn based so not necessary for the guessers to be online during the entirety of the game. The captains would have to both be online when the drawing is being done and uploaded to ensure that it's all done within the correct time frame. Could pre-set a time per day for that though? For example at the outset of the game both captains agree that they can be online at 2pm for the team 1 drawing and 6pm for the team 2 drawing. Team 1 Players would have between 2.15 and 6pm to make their guess. If they fail to guess Team 2 gets one guess at the drawing and gets a point if they get it right.

It would take some of the tension out of the game though. It works well with codenames.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yeah it would need to be turn based. If blockbusters takes off, I really hope so, I would love to try get a game of Jeopardy going. It would involve a lot of questions but Im sure there can be packages found online for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Following on from this, in the early days of my online career I remember a website that had a live pictionary game going. It was ****ing hilarious. You get a word/phrase and start drawing it live while people guess in real time. I can't even remember the name of the website but it was so much fun. I guess we could have a version of that here using MSpaint and uploading the drawings? Not sure how you could police how much detail went into the drawing though.

https://awwapp.com/b/uf8kg653q/

Sounds fun this thing would work

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    https://awwapp.com/b/uf8kg653q/

Sounds fun this thing would work

Anyone else see my drawing on that?

Pter wrote: »

It seems you are an artist of great talent

It seems you are an artist of great talent

haha something like that.

Good app for a game. How would we integrate so that we are still involving boards. Essential to bring in new players that we keep the game visible and moving on boards too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Have you wiped it now? I can't see any.

Thanks!! See it now, whoever!!! :P

• Advertisement

Right - so Blockbusters.

Im gonna do a trial game without a buzzer mechanic.

First two people to pop in and sign up get to be team captains. If anyone else wants to take part, post and we will add you to one of the teams.

Its essentially going to be x's and o's in terms of turn taking to try and block your opponents progress.

I think it will be fun anyway.

We can try the buzzer first to answer thing in future games as well. It just doesnt suit me today to not be able to step away from my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't see much wrong with current format.

Buzzer is way too demanding on anyone moderating to be fair.

As I said on thread, winner stays on could result in game being over too quickly I reckon. It's almost a rotation scenario like Connect 4 but with questions, all good so far IMO.

Probably a chance to steal for other team if question is answered incorrectly would be fair enough though.

EDIT: Wondering if there should be some period of inactivity before question is nullified? e.g I've conferred on thread with my 2 team-mates but could potentially be waiting days for a response. So some period of grace is probably needed. No ill will obviously if teammates can't answer / respond in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Don't know if you figured it out yet, but there was two B's and two L's on that board, I'll keep reading the thread and see how you resolved.

sKeith wrote: »
    Don't know if you figured it out yet, but there was two B's and two L's on that board, I'll keep reading the thread and see how you resolved.

Teams say which one they want.

A few thoughts on the current game, which btw I'm really liking, hopefully will get a go in the next game.

I think if neither team guesses correctly, the block should be re-clued, with the team originally in control for that block, stays in control (no steal took place)
    I don't think it's should be mandatory to pick a block next to your colour, should be able to pick anywhere on the board (iirc, that's how the tv show played)
    Is each contest made up of best of 3 boards? How does the goldrun work? Does a team play on for a number of goldruns before having to retire?

Kolido wrote: »
    A few thoughts on the current game, which btw I'm really liking, hopefully will get a go in the next game.

I think if neither team guesses correctly, the block should be re-clued, with the team originally in control for that block, stays in control (no steal took place)
    I don't think it's should be mandatory to pick a block next to your colour, should be able to pick anywhere on the board (iirc, that's how the tv show played)
    Is each contest made up of best of 3 boards? How does the goldrun work? Does a team play on for a number of goldruns before having to retire?

I think it needs to switch to the next team if the first team gets it wrong; otherwise the second team would never get a go without stealing first? You are right it was done differently in the show, but that was because the turns were decided by buzzer.

No problem with blocks being chosen anywhere on the board tbh.

For this trial, i only wanna do this board; then maybe start another game.

Wasnt planning on doing a goldrun; just this board for now.

Dont want it to be too heavy duty for now. We can try best of 3 and goldrun later though!

I should mention that the above is all just my opinion and since this is effectively a trial beta run of the game on boards, all this is very much open to discussion and iteration in future games.

Added to that, if anyone wants to run a game alongside the current one, i can provide the powerpoint doc im using for the board and a PM on how im running the game from my end.

I thought you had to pick a block touching one of your colours. I'm obviously remembering it wrong though if everyone thinks the other way around.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I thought you had to pick a block touching one of your colours. I'm obviously remembering it wrong though if everyone thinks the other way around.

No, definitely didn't.

Any way to ensure each letter appears only once? Or are there too many squares to make that viable leaving too many X and Q questions?

Where are you getting the questions, Pter? Off the top of your head?

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote:
    Any way to ensure each letter appears only once? Or are there too many squares to make that viable leaving too many X and Q questions?

No should be doable. It's a 5*5 grid so 1 letter in the alphabet to spare.
    quickbeam wrote:
    Where are you getting the questions, Pter? Off the top of your head?

I'm not that smart. Dictionary.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pter, if you're hosting, would Report on the question post work as a buzzer or are there consequences and visibility concerns there that might make that a little abusive?

Banjo wrote:
    Pter, if you're hosting, would Report on the question post work as a buzzer or are there consequences and visibility concerns there that might make that a little abusive?

I'll ask that question. Not sure they want us using it for that function but if they don't mind it would be a great idea.

My idea on the buzz. After a question is asked, 1st team to type buzz has 1 min to post an answer, if the answer is wrong, the other team has (lets say 5 mins for example) to post an answer.

Therefore the time element only comes into play once someone buzzes. I know eveeyone cant be around always so maybe agreeing on a time to player between those involved would work. Games could be paused when players have to leave.

Gotta say the Dictionary.com as a source is probably the best option for the game going forward too. Easily checkable and it means that there's a standard definition of a word too that can't be argued with. Could we put that in the rules that the quizmaster has to pick his words from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Only problem with that is there’ll be no general knowledge type questions.

There is no rule that means you have to touch off your own block or base
    I stuck a link on the necro supporters discord or ye can look it up

There is no rule that means you have to touch off your own block or base
    I stuck a link on the necro supporters discord or ye can look it up

Yep thats the consensus we seem to have arrived at as well.

Yep thats the consensus we seem to have arrived at as well.

It’s notvthe concaencus it’s the fact

• Advertisement

It’s notvthe concaencus it’s the fact

Our consensus is to go with it.

Advertisement