Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So much out of stock

Options
  • 02-03-2021 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

I’ve been looking at buying a few things lately, a fancy pair of wellies (Le chameau) a Barbour coat for my wife as a gift, that sort of stuff. Mostly British made things that I trust the quality of. I’ve looked on the websites of Irish sellers and British and so much of it is out of stock. Even on the official websites the items are out of stock.

Anyone know why? I can only presume it’s brexit-related. But why, for instance, does the official Le Chameau website not have a particular welly in stock? Is it an issue with raw materials from the EU? First world problem I’m well aware but it’s bloody annoying.

Comments

I’ve been looking at buying a few things lately, a fancy pair of wellies (Le chameau) a Barbour coat for my wife as a gift, that sort of stuff. Mostly British made things that I trust the quality of. I’ve looked on the websites of Irish sellers and British and so much of it is out of stock. Even on the official websites the items are out of stock.

Anyone know why? I can only presume it’s brexit-related. But why, for instance, does the official Le Chameau website not have a particular welly in stock? Is it an issue with raw materials from the EU? First world problem I’m well aware but it’s bloody annoying.

There’s an explanation at the top of the Le Chameau web site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I’d say it’s because everyone is buying online as well. Possibly reduced production because of corona also?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to online buying for better responses. Please take note of the local charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

2020 and 2021 has seen unprecedented supply chain disruption, particularly from the Far East to Europe and North America..

This can be seen in:
    -Sea freight rates are 5 times higher now than they were in Jan 2021
    - Cargo is being left behind in China(rolled) on a regular basis.
    - There was generally a lot of stock in warehouses(Brexit stock piling etc) at the start of 2020 also, but a lot of this is now gone. Warehouse utilisation is down
    - Increasing use of Airfreight

Chances are that even though these are UK brands, their production is in China or the Far East. The issue is often increased for UK companies as they have a habit of bringing all their stock to the UK before sending it on to their European customers. Ports in the UK have been performing particularly badly for a number of reasons, and a large number of shipping services have stopped calling to the UK altogether, preferring to offload their cargo at mainland EU ports and ship it on to the UK on a smaller(feeder) ship. Add in the Brexit issues when shipping from the UK to EU customers and you could be looking at 3-4 weeks longer than pre-brexit from China to End customer

Advertisement