Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

• 29-01-2021 12:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let's put all talk of trades, Free agency etc in this thread please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

Ian Rapoport expects Stafford to be traded before the end of next week.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1355564529913110528?s=21

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seems to be Indy, SF and the Rams in the running.

It will be interesting to see what the compensation package is and if Stafford is looking for a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems to be Indy, SF and the Rams in the running.

It will be interesting to see what the compensation package is and if Stafford is looking for a new deal.

It is really funny watching, at this point it is obvious everyone is leaking trying to gain leverage.

You can nearly tell who is leaking what - nearly a week of heavy Stafford to the 49ers rumours and not a peep, then a leak today that they'll be happy to stay with Jimmy - likely the 49ers pushing back on the Lions trying to play hardball.

It will be really interesting to see how it shakes out and if we get the background details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Well, there you have it - I think? Stafford to the Rams.

Detroit did plenty better than I thought they would out of this deal.
    2 x 1sts, 1x 3rd and Jared Goff (although I think Goff is likely playing the role of Brock Osweiler in this deal and the Rams gave the Lions an extra pick just to pick up his contract? I couldn't see any way for the Rams to get out from under that disastrous deal tbh)

Well, there you have it - I think? Stafford to the Rams.

Detroit did plenty better than I thought they would out of this deal.
    2 x 1sts, 1x 3rd and Jared Goff (although I think Goff is likely playing the role of Brock Osweiler in this deal and the Rams gave the Lions an extra pick just to pick up his contract? I couldn't see any way for the Rams to get out from under that disastrous deal tbh)

When was the last time the Rams picked in the 1st round lol? By 2024 they will have gone on quite a run of not drafting in the first round (assuming they don’t trade that pick either)

Edit: that’s 7 first round picks used on Goff, Cooks, Ramsay and Stafford, kind of crazy use of resources

Good deal for the Lions imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm sure there's a POV where the ram's "won" this trade, but I ain't seeing it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Lions have done very well here I think.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a POV where the ram's "won" this trade, but I ain't seeing it.....

I agree, I think the only positive outcome for the Rams (apart from acquiring Stafford himself) is they get Goff’s horrible contract off their books. Stafford is quite manageable at 2yrs/$43m.

I think both will be happy, but for me the Rams have come out of this better.... Lions get draft capital, but that Goff contract is an albatross.

Stafford will be in a Sean McVay offense, on a team 2 years removed from a Super Bowl and that made the playoffs again this year. I bet they can't believe their luck, not only did they get a major upgrade at QB, they somehow got rid of that stinker of a contract.

letowski wrote: »
    I agree, I think the only positive outcome for the Rams (apart from acquiring Stafford himself) is they get Goff’s horrible contract off their books. Stafford is quite manageable at 2yrs/$43m.

I wonder if the promise of a reworked contract was part of the decision for Stafford also. I can't believe he will play out the last 2 years at $43m. The Rams will want to tie him up for 5 years I would guess? I'm useless at understanding the contracts/business bit of the NFL though.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the promise of a reworked contract was part of the decision for Stafford also. I can't believe he will play out the last 2 years at $43m. The Rams will want to tie him up for 5 years I would guess? I'm useless at understanding the contracts/business bit of the NFL though.

I think that they could do in order to hold onto Stafford for at the medium term future. Having to use another first round pick at QB in 2024 would not be ideal at all (that would be 5 1st rounders in 8 years at QB then).

They have $70m cap space next year assuming no new contracts so they have some room to work with. Getting Goffs contract off their books is a pretty big deal tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭cosatron

One things for certain Les Snead doesn’t mess around. Released Todd gurley 2 years after making him highest paid running back ever and now Goff is off the books aswell. No pick until the third round this year, no first round pick for 3 years. Is he overly aggression or just in win now mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We've got a better QB, but given up far too much again.

Rams front office don't seem to have any interest in first round picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

If Stafford is commanding that kind of trade what will Watson's price be?

paulie21 wrote: »
    If Stafford is commanding that kind of trade what will Watson's price be?

At least 5 first round picks:D the rams will have no first round picks in 7 years.

Houston sound like they’re ready to dig in, for now anyway. No harm in making it as difficult as possible for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Rams get a top 10 QB they can win now with as well as getting rid of Goff's contract.

The Lions get two 1sts and a serviceable QB to use during the upcoming multi-year rebuild. They won't care too much about the Goff cap hit and can cut him without penalty in 2 years.

I'm sure Twitter will try to say one team won the trade but it's a win for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Getting rid of that horrible contract has to be the biggest win here for the Rams

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The rams and lions trade might give the eagles to guts to trade wentz. I don’t think it’s a given but it’s more possible now then it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Agreed with those who say it's a win for both teams. Benefit to the Lions is obvious. The Rams look in bad shape, but this trade is helping them out of the mess from Goff's contract.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The rams and lions trade might give the eagles to guts to trade wentz. I don’t think it’s a given but it’s more possible now then it was before.

The problem for the eagles is getting a trade partner. I doubt indy are going to give a couple of first rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

cosatron wrote: »
    The problem for the eagles is getting a trade partner. I doubt indy are going to give a couple of first rounders

Probably not but even if wentz isn’t traded, it might be the kick up the hole he needs to figure out the reasons he fell off a cliff last season. Goff was always a bit average to me, but wentz showed some amazing ability which is why it was very stark.

Is Wentz even available? I thought they sacked Pederson with the main intention of keeping the QB.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Rams get a top 10 QB they can win now with as well as getting rid of Goff's contract.

The Lions get two 1sts and a serviceable QB to use during the upcoming multi-year rebuild. They won't care too much about the Goff cap hit and can cut him without penalty in 2 years.

I'm sure Twitter will try to say one team won the trade but it's a win for everyone involved.

I feel the talk of the Rams getting rid of Goff's contract is being overplayed by some, many are making it sound like with the trade they are now off the hook. Yes, they have gotten away from the guaranteed money but in a year where the cap is dropping they are still eating the biggest dead cap hit in history (beating the record in dead cap they set last year with Cooks).

I'm all for being aggressive but the Rams strategy has and continues to be insane (for a lack of a better word). For years they keep trading away an enormous amount of draft capital to get big names, signing guys to big deals in ways they can't easily get out of, and then eating huge dead cap when they decide to move on.

For the last 3 seasons they have ridden incredible luck on injuries, while also being quite lucky with hitting on later draft picks (the latter obviously has elements of skill/coaching too). Without draft picks their depth has taking a hit each year and it likely will again this offseason with them being well of $30m above the expected cap number and several currently cheap starters up for FA.

If their luck holds again this trade has set them up as better contenders than they were with Goff but there is a significant chance everything comes crashing down this season or next and the Lions get a very high 1st round pick - like the Dolphins have this year from the Texans. I'm definitely not happy to add Stafford to the NFCW but I think there is a much smaller chance Rams 'win' this trade when we look back.

According to Sam Farmer, the rams approached the packers about Rodgers and was told to get stuffed. Les Snead has some set of balls.
    Also Matt Stafford told the lions he would go to any contender bar the Patriots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

Is Wentz even available? I thought they sacked Pederson with the main intention of keeping the QB.

I wouldn't say so it's pointless to move him until next off-season it would cause the biggest dead cap hit in nfl history by over 10 million dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

According to Sam Farmer, the rams approached the packers about Rodgers and was told to get stuffed. Les Snead has some set of balls.
    Also Matt Stafford told the lions he would go to any contender bar the Patriots.

Matt Patricia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭markc91

Id be open to seeing what we could get for kirk

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Patriots are a contender? :pac:

• Advertisement

markc91 wrote: »
    Id be open to seeing what we could get for kirk

A 2nd round pick? I say that as someone who is higher on Cousins than what I generally read and hear. You might get some team that goes higher if they get desperate having no QB, missing out on other players in FA and draft, who are in a position to win now, and have cap space - like say the Colts. By the time that value is there though the Vikings wouldn't have time to replace Cousins.

Comparing Cousins to Stafford - he is older, doesn't have the potential ceiling, and has a significantly worse contract next year ($35m) that the new team has to fully guarantee on the 3rd day of the new season.

Add to that how Cousins is undervalued and generally crapped on by most of the media and fanbases so teams will likely get blow back and be under pressure if they give up a lot for him.

I dont see the move worthwhile on the Vikings side anyway unless they see themselves as a full rebuild - it means $20m in dead cap in a year when the cap is tight and there is a lot of competition for QBs.

Advertisement