Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VIII: May the Fourth Star Be With You!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

When is the team due to be announced? Presume this afternoon / tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

durkadurka wrote: »
    Sean Cronin just tweeted pictures of his newborn twins .
    Delighted for him.
    Suspect he mightn't make the trip to Thomond ....

I can think of few better reasons to get out of the house:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It could well be that Leinster weren't allowed keep him or he saw Henshaw coming and decided to go but Ben Te'o's Worcester aren't having the best time of it. Only one win this season. Would have loved to keep him but guess it wasn't realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

15. Zane Kirchner (75)
    14. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN (160)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (9)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (5)
    11. Barry Daly (4)
    10. Ross Byrne (9)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (13)
    1. Cian Healy (163)
    2. James Tracy (29)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (58)
    4. Ross Molony (31)
    5. Mike McCarthy (70)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (121)
    7. Dan Leavy (25)
    8. Jack Conan (37)

16. Richardt Strauss (134)
    17. Peter Dooley (28)
    18. Michael Bent (72)
    19. Ian Nagle (6)
    20. Dominic Ryan (108)
    21. Charlie Rock (1)
    22. Noel Reid (71)
    23. Tom Daly (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess Furlong is the surprise inclusion. Pertient to the discussion that was had earlier it is interesting that even without Ringrose around Henshaw is still a 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

First 15 is still quite good for a mix n match side.

Bench looks quite ropey however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

3 first team players in the 23.

Would take a losing BP from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

errlloyd wrote: »
    I guess Furlong is the surprise inclusion. Pertient to the discussion that was had earlier it is interesting that even without Ringrose around Henshaw is still a 12.

Don't think it's all that interesting really, Leinster need him as a 12, and I'm not sure what other combination would be available to them without Ringrose. I suppose they could play Tom is Daly at 12 but unless I'm mistaken O'Loughlin has been consistently selected ahead of him and Noel Reid is covering outhalf.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Don't think it's all that interesting really, Leinster need him as a 12, and I'm not sure what other combination would be available to them without Ringrose.

Reid Henshaw surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

errlloyd wrote: »
    Reid Henshaw surely?

Yeah sorry edited that. Reid is covering out half and isn't he just back from injury?

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah sorry edited that. Reid is covering out half and isn't he just back from injury?

I don't really buy it. He was fit enough to play last week, so he's fit and if anything needs gametime. You can cover 10 from 12, Farrell covers Ford for England.

I don't really care either way - Henshaw 12 or 13 seems largely academic. Aside from first phase, everyone ends up so out of position these days that I think the whole conversation is unnecessary.

I'm also delighted for ROL, he's been great and I am glad to see him play his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Can't recall who it was against but the Leinster scrum looked nitrous injected with Ruddock playing lock after an injury/replacement recently.

There's a bit of Brad Thorn about his play at times and I think it would be interesting to see what he could do in that role on a more permanent basis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Happy Christmas, everyone :)

I hope nobody gets the fluorescent jersey today!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Happy Christmas.

The day our lord BOD sent his son, Garry to redeem us.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Leinster management have to stand up and take some responsibility for that result. What a ridiculous and unnecessary team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kevski wrote: »
    Leinster management have to stand up and take some responsibility for that result. What a ridiculous and unnecessary team selection.

What makes you think it was unnecessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's the same every year with these interpros. What changes is if you get away with it or not.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The mocker gods have seen the thread title and we're getting nothing this season.

It's the same every year with these interpros. What changes is if you get away with it or not.

Going away to Thomond with 3 first team players starting and basically none on the bench against Munster in a good run of form... yeah it doesn't need Nostradamus to tell Leinster wouldn't get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

Thought Kirchner(apart from try) was terrible,selection was ridiculous aswell considering Ulster will be sending down their 2ND string to us

• Advertisement

Why was it unnecessary? How would you have done better in their situation? Please elaborate.

Going away to Thomond with 3 first team players starting and basically none on the bench against Munster in a good run of form... yeah it doesn't need Nostradamus to tell Leinster wouldn't get away with it.

It can happen. An Ulster Ravens side beat a full Munster team in Thomond a few years ago.

Leinster have a five day turnaround to Ulster in the RDS (ridiculous scheduling). This rules out starting the majority of your players in both games.

What makes you think it was unnecessary?

The fact that every other province fielded their starting internationals this weekend whereas we played Henshaw and Furlong and left McGrath, Toner, van der Flier, O'Brien, Heaslip and Ringrose at home? Seems totally unnecessary to surrender 5 points just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ahhh the vultures are circling. Leinster lost, something to bitch about, high five!

We lost that game primarily (IMO) because we gave away too much possession via our rubbish kicking from the halfs. We had to play JGP and we had to play Ross Byrne. The coaches had no choice.

It didn't pan out, we gave them too much ball and they had wave after wave and they were always going to punch holes.

Other than that, it was OK.

The fact that every other province fielded their starting internationals this weekend whereas we played Henshaw and Furlong and left McGrath, Toner, van der Flier, O'Brien, Heaslip and Ringrose at home? Seems totally unnecessary to surrender 5 points just like that.

So, if we brought those lads to Thomond, what would we do at home in the RDS less than 5 days from now? Field a second string side?

Peregrine wrote: »
    Why was it unnecessary? How would you have done better in their situation? Please elaborate.

Maybe by not fielding a mostly second string team against a full strength top of the league team for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe by not fielding a mostly second string team against a full strength top of the league team for a start?

You're aware of the existence of the player welfare scheme, right?

What do you do against Ulster in five days time then? You can't play a first string side.

I think you lack a basic understanding of the situation, Kevski.

• Advertisement

You're aware of the existence of the player welfare scheme, right?

Was there something stopping Leinster from playing more first choice this week and not playing them next week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement