Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

plurals..

• 25-02-2004 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

how do you know which ending to use for plurals in Irish like like gardaí, riallacha, cailíní etc

is it just a guessing game if you're one of the many people who aren't fortunate enough to be fluent such as myself?

David :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

unfortunately, pretty much yea. there are declensions n stuff, like the fourth which usually adds an í to form plural, e.g. gardaí, but there are so many irregulars, and even just so many kinds of declension conjugations that you just have to memorize most of them. strong plurals r the 1s that suck, theyre kindof irregular: they erase the rules of the declension and replace them with their own. ut at least all the plurals fit into patterns, the memorization bit is just remember which 1 2 use on which noun!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

B'fhéidir go mbeadh siad seo cabharthach/These might be helpful:

Na hainmfhocail is mó a úsáidtear sa Ghaeilge san uimhir uatha agus san uimhir iolra/ the most commonly used nouns in Irish in singular and plural forms:

http://mbm.8m.com/irish/declination.htm

Seo eolas ar na díochlaonta má tá an choráiste agat tabhairt faoi!/Here's info on the díochlaonta (different categories of nouns) if you're brave!

http://www.ucc.ie/acad/mi/cursai/gramadachnua/grnua2.html

An rud is fearr ná an fhoirm iolra a fhoghlaim i dteannta leis an bhfoirm uatha agus taithí a fháil ar na fuaimeanna - tiocfaidh siad chugat go nádurtha tar éis tamaill! / The best thing is to learn the plural form at the same time as the singular form and get used to how they sound - it will come to you naturally after some time!

heres another useful site, a small dictionary of irish declenations and conjugations: An Foclóir Beag
    I use it all the time, very helpful! ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

go raibh míle maith agat :D

i thought i'd never learn them. i don't think they taught us that kind of stuff in school.

although maybe i wasn't paying attention. never really liked irish until this year

lol, well judging by wut pp say bout the meathods 4 teaching irish, but then again judging by ur apparent similarity in personality 2 me, i guess it could go either way, huh?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've been trying to persuade a programmer friend to code up an automatic dictionary that would give plurals, genitives, datives for nouns, and the various forms for verbs. Shouldn't be too hard; it'd be a nice website to do, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've been trying to persuade a programmer friend to code up an automatic dictionary that would give plurals, genitives, datives for nouns, and the various forms for verbs. Shouldn't be too hard; it'd be a nice website to do, actually.

Bheadh sésin ar fheabhas! That would be great!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Cinnte beidh sé, tá fios agam usaidfidh mé é!

Sure it'd be, I know I'd use it!

well if you wanna save yourself a lot of trouble, go to the above site that i posted, cuz thats what it is! *sigh* no one ever listens to me~_~ you might wanna talk to its creators n see if theyd be willing to let you incoporate their precompiled declination/conjugation dictionary into yours. just, you know, tryin to save you guys some trouble^^

Advertisement