Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'caoiseach'?

• 02-09-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

whoops could have added this into my other post?
    Anyone know of an Irish word that means 'okay/ so-so' as in for example if one is responding to someone asking them how they are. The irish word sounds like 'caoiseach' but I couldn't find it in O'Donaill.
    Thank all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

After a bit of searching I found it.I would use this in conversation but never had to spell it.It is listed under (fair)in De Bhaldraithe and is spelt cuiosach with a fada on the i.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Nice one. Again, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

seanogal wrote:
    After a bit of searching I found it.I would use this in conversation but never had to spell it.It is listed under (fair)in De Bhaldraithe and is spelt cuiosach with a fada on the i.

Sin é an focal - Cuíosach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

deireadh mo múinteoir i gcónaí "tá mé maith go leor" for "i'm ok"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OhDazoona

I'm a new user so I can't post URLs!
    I too was puzzled by this spelling… Searching with DuckDuckGo landed me on your message. Putting "Cuíosach" into both my computer's Focalbeo app and into teanglann DOT ie brought up:
    cúiseach, a1. Well-mannered; prim, demure.

I felt this wasn't quite what I wanted to express. I wanted to say that I am fair or middling.

So I went here:
    focloir DOT ie and put in 'fair'
    No 5 on the list is 'moderately good'
    I asked it to "Show Full Entry"

5 adjective moderately good
    measartha adj3  C M U
    cuibheasach adj1  C M U
    réasúnta adj3  C M U
    they had a fair start to the season chuir siad tús sách maith leis an séasúr

Going back to Teanglann
    cuibheasach, a1. 1. Fair, middling. ~ maith, fairly good. Tá siad ~ gan a bheith maíteach, they are fair to middling. 2 = CUIBHIÚIL. (Var:cuibhdheasach)

Then I went to Focalbeo and it has
    cuibheasach
    fair adj., middling adj.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

OhDazoona wrote: »
    I'm a new user so I can't post URLs!
    I too was puzzled by this spelling… Searching with DuckDuckGo landed me on your message. Putting "Cuíosach" into both my computer's Focalbeo app and into teanglann DOT ie brought up:
    cúiseach, a1. Well-mannered; prim, demure.

I felt this wasn't quite what I wanted to express. I wanted to say that I am fair or middling.

So I went here:
    focloir DOT ie and put in 'fair'
    No 5 on the list is 'moderately good'
    I asked it to "Show Full Entry"

5 adjective moderately good
    measartha adj3  C M U
    cuibheasach adj1  C M U
    réasúnta adj3  C M U
    they had a fair start to the season chuir siad tús sách maith leis an séasúr

Going back to Teanglann
    cuibheasach, a1. 1. Fair, middling. ~ maith, fairly good. Tá siad ~ gan a bheith maíteach, they are fair to middling. 2 = CUIBHIÚIL. (Var:cuibhdheasach)

Then I went to Focalbeo and it has
    cuibheasach
    fair adj., middling adj.

HTH

Cuíosach and cuibheasach mean the same thing but if you google both words you will see that only cuíosach is in common usage.

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/Cu%C3%ADosach

Advertisement