Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

!s buí le bocht an beagán

• 01-07-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

I was looking for an Irish translation for 'beggars can't be choosers' and came across that it might be 'is buí le bocht an beagán'. Could anyone advise if this is correct and if so, how does that translation make any sense. Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

I would say it means something like "Poor is thankful for a little" so it is not really a translation, but a similar phrase. But that is always the way with proverbs; you don't literally translate the words to another language, you use a proverb from that language with the same general meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

buí = thankful (also = colour yellow)
    bocht = poor
    beagán = a little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

emanresu wrote: »
    buí = thankful (also = colour yellow)
    bocht = poor
    beagán = a little

Thanks emanresu. I was stuck on buí meaning yellow so couldn't make head nor tail of it. Tks.
    Now I see the sense of buí coming from buíochas.

Advertisement