Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ó Finneadha or Ó Feinneadha?

• 03-10-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the difference is between both surnames? Which one would be the Feeneys of north Connacht? The Ó Feinneadha spelling seems to be by far the most common, yet there are well-known people with the Ó Finneadha spelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Woulfe has the following:
    Ó FIANNA, Ó FIANNAIDHE—I—O Fynea, O Finnee, Feeney, Feeny, Finney, Finny; 'descendant of Fiannaidhe' (soldier); a substitution for older Ó Féinneadha; the name of a family of the Ui Fiachrach who were formerly seated at Finghid, now anglicised Finned, in the parish of Easkey, Co. Sligo, and are still numerous in Connacht. To be distinguished from Ó Fídhne, which see.
    Ó FÉINNEADHA, see Ó Fiannaidhe.
    Ó FÍDHNE—I—O Finny, Finney, Feeny, Feeney; 'descendant of *Fídhne'; the name of a Galway family, still in use in that county. The family is mentioned by MacFirbis. Compare with Ó Fiannaidhe.
    FÍNE, see Ó Fídhne.
    Ó FÍNNE, see Ó Fídhne.

The mention of Ó Fídhne as Galway family is interesting! Especially as Woulfe notes it should be distinguished from the Sligo name. Also fact that it's a name in Dubhaltach Mac Fhirbhisigh famous genealogical work of mid 17th century.

The distrubution in Connacht is fairly widespread going off the Griffith Survey:

https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=feeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Could Ó Finneadha be a misspelling or an older version of a more modern spelling then? Could it have a modern form just as Ó Conchubhair became Ó Conchúir, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Could Ó Finneadha be a misspelling or an older version of a more modern spelling then? Could it have a modern form just as Ó Conchubhair became Ó Conchúir, etc?

Well as Woulfe's book dates to 1923 it predates the spelling reform. I imagine though we are looking at change in spelling due to phonetic changes in the langauge. There are several examples in Woulfe where there is a 'non-traditional' spelling variant given to reflect 'caint na nDaoine' in late 19th/20th century.

I'd be curious what Mac Fhirbhsigh would have had, given his text is from the mid 17th century.

Of course in case of Conchubhair -> Conchúir you are seeing fairly standard response to when internal -bh- became silent (eg. either formation of a diphtong or a long vowel). If you look at Latin texts from early middle ages you see that the -bh- was prononunced eg:
    Terdelachum O Conchovar

Like in Cnoc (in Connacht and Ulster Irish) though the 'Con' -> 'Cro/Cru' sound change isn't written. I'd imagine Crochúr Ó Crochúir would be easier for a learner to figure out than Conchubhar Ó Conchubhair :)

Advertisement